Use of infiltrators in outfits. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: PSA: PlanetSide addicts annomous
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2012-07-20, 10:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Middi
Private

Use of infiltrators in outfits.

I'm new to the Planetside community and I am extremely interested in this game.

For a long time I've always enjoyed the idea of being apart of a small spec ops squad that infiltrates deep behind enemy line to do surveillance and to cause havoc, then once the main force attacks, our squad provides support and cover fire.

The problem with this is that I haven't had the opportunity to play a game where this type of gameplay is possible due to the lack of a frontline aka COD is a run around in circles shooting anything that moves, and BF is too fast paced for any surveillance to be useful when playing the "rush" game mode and "conquest" had a constantly changing frontline.

My question is how viable is the surveillance/long range sniper/shit disturber play style, what kind of tactics were infiltrators used for in PS1, and what tactics have outfits been brainstorming for infiltrators?
Old 2012-07-20, 10:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Hosp
First Sergeant

Re: Use of infiltrators in outfits.

In PS1 cloakers weren't snipers as armors were more a weight class which determined inventory size and armor protection.

Cloaker (no armor)(only equip 1 small weapon or tool at a time with very little extra space)
Agile (Light Armor)(Equip 1 large weapon, 2 smalls + extra space)
Rexo (Heavy armor)(2 large, 2 smalls, + more extra space)

Any armor besides cloakers and MAXs could grab a sniper rifle. However most people who sniped in PS1 weren't partuclarly good at it. They grab it cus it's a nice strong weapon to whore some easy kills early on.

Real Snipers in PS1 however, were very effective at softening up a moving infantry force or covering a friendly one because they could also carry alot of other potential weapons and equipment combinations.

Most cloakers are the same as the newbs grabbing the snper rifles. But the good ones actually made excellent spotters and sabotuers. Easily, a good cloaker with alot of skill and luck (due to all the glitches involved with them), could shutdown an entire enemy base long enough for it to be taken. They aren't as effective in the field however just because so much more could go sideways for them.

Because cloakers and snipers are being combined in PS2, their ability to strike from range or up close (i forsee) will make them very versatile, particularly in small spec ops elements working in conjunction with a larger organized force. What will separate the good ones from the ones trying to whore kills will be how well they can survive, setup a foe(s), or react to a very chaotic situation as their survivability (i think) seems higher than in PS1.

Last edited by Hosp; 2012-07-20 at 10:58 AM.
Old 2012-07-20, 10:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
soulsurfsublime
Corporal

I have been wondering the same thing. Was leaning towards medic because I like playing support roles. But I would love to play a infiltrator and play it as a reconnaissance/support role unlike other games where recon gets a bad name from people thinking they are Vassili Zaitsev.

Last edited by soulsurfsublime; 2012-07-20 at 11:06 AM.
Old 2012-07-20, 11:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Hosp
First Sergeant

reconnaissance/support role unlike other games where recon gets a band name from people thinking they are Vassili Zaitsev.
That's still going to happen if you're solo. Gotta find an outfit to support otherwise to most others that stereotype will still stick.
Old 2012-07-20, 11:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
soulsurfsublime
Corporal

Originally Posted by Hosp View Post
Gotta find an outfit to support otherwise to most others that stereotype will still stick.
Yeah I agree. I just need to find an outfit and server once beta starts.
Old 2012-07-20, 04:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
robocpf1
First Sergeant

Ghosts of the Revolution has made use of and continues to maintain two units that, in PS2, will be cloaker-based.

If you're interested in sabotage, recon, or sniping (recon or actual suppressive fire) send me a PM, I'd be glad to give you more information. We currently have around a dozen active players in these teams.
Old 2012-07-20, 08:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Hosp
First Sergeant

Btw, robo, scuttlebutt says u merged with AT. Is that true or u guys just working together alot?
Old 2012-07-21, 06:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
therandomone
Sergeant

I mean, I think the infil can be very useful for attacking a base. My ideal situation would be getting a group of 4 of us in there so we can equally hack terminals and sabotage vehicles while the others who arent can work as stealth guards relying back to your outfit or just those outside the base. As well as I plan to spec my infil for melee and cloaking so I can do a lot of close range disruption and distraction for when the bigger troops come in. I just hope melee will be an effective tool for the infil but only time/beta will tell
Old 2012-07-21, 09:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
psychophonic
Private

In PS1 there was only 1 reason for me to get my cloaksuite...

Some people used it to lame with boomers inside enemy bases.

Some really hardcore cloakers where owning with the spiker weapon.

Last edited by psychophonic; 2012-07-21 at 09:10 AM.
Old 2012-07-21, 09:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
MrMorton
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Middi View Post
I'm new to the Planetside community and I am extremely interested in this game.

For a long time I've always enjoyed the idea of being apart of a small spec ops squad that infiltrates deep behind enemy line to do surveillance and to cause havoc, then once the main force attacks, our squad provides support and cover fire.

The problem with this is that I haven't had the opportunity to play a game where this type of gameplay is possible due to the lack of a frontline aka COD is a run around in circles shooting anything that moves, and BF is too fast paced for any surveillance to be useful when playing the "rush" game mode and "conquest" had a constantly changing frontline.

My question is how viable is the surveillance/long range sniper/shit disturber play style, what kind of tactics were infiltrators used for in PS1, and what tactics have outfits been brainstorming for infiltrators?
from what I have seen from the abilities the infiltrator has, it seems to be geared heavily for nonlethal support rather than ninja assassin blowing shit up.

what I imagine happening is an infiltrator with lots of squad leader certs sneaking into an enemy base, planting iff and emp mines (iff detects enemies and emp drains shield) at key attack points where the main force plans to push. Then the infiltrator could move around the base spawning in squadmates to get behind the enemy forces.
Old 2012-07-21, 10:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Accuser
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by DjEclipse View Post
All the infil kills I have seen in PS2 were from sniper rifle. Per usual in any game with sniper
rifles I expect to see mucho snipers. VS imo have the advantage thanks to no bullet drop.
I'm hoping that VS 'bullet' velocity will be pretty high as well. Really, I just hope PS2 avoids BF3's paintball-speed bullets
Old 2012-07-21, 11:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
robocpf1
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Hosp View Post
Btw, robo, scuttlebutt says u merged with AT. Is that true or u guys just working together alot?
Negative, no merge, we just do a lot of joint ops. Francko and I decided long ago a merger wasn't in the cards.
Old 2012-07-22, 12:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Novice bot
Sergeant

INF squad doing guerrilla warfare. If that ain't useful, what is?
Old 2012-07-22, 05:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by robocpf1 View Post
Negative, no merge, we just do a lot of joint ops. Francko and I decided long ago a merger wasn't in the cards.
What? You don't want to be part of record breaking Orbital Strikage?

I'm still waiting for the 100+ OS of AT.

Anyway, cloakers will be valuable for any type of outfit. Even us Tank Junkies.

Old 2012-07-22, 10:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
soulsurfsublime
Corporal

Originally Posted by psychophonic View Post
In PS1 there was only 1 reason for me to get my cloaksuite...
Really cool video thanks for sharing! I think I am more excited to go inf now more than ever before! Recon, sabotage, and subterfuge. I am absolutely loving it! I can't wait to get into beta and check the skill trees!

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions