BFRs WTF!!?? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We tried phone sex once but the holes weren't big enough
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2013-01-18, 06:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Figment
Lieutenant General

Re: BFRs WTF!!??

And would still be hated.
Old 2013-01-26, 11:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
nurizeko
Private

I find hacking the BFR's out from under the enemy amusing as fuck.

I never got the hate, but I just kinda accepted their presence and adapted. They're powerful but they usually become giant targets, and die quickly.
Old 2013-01-26, 12:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by nurizeko View Post
I find hacking the BFR's out from under the enemy amusing as fuck.

I never got the hate, but I just kinda accepted their presence and adapted. They're powerful but they usually become giant targets, and die quickly.
It's just a matter of them giving so much power to one player. Every other vehicle in the game (Excluding Mosquitos and Reavers) required multiple people in order for the vehicle to be effective. With BFRs a single person could be just as, if not more effective than a fully crewed vehicle.

What's the point of pulling a tank when a BFR does everything better and you don't need to find a gunner (and if you did you were even more effective). Sure, they took a lot of certs to gain and there was kind of a pain in the ass cave kill/cave capture requirement to become imprinted but the fact remains that they still killed off a lot of fun that the game could've had.

BFRs were always the bane of tank battles. Many a fight has been ruined thanks to BFRs, and that's were most of the stigma comes from.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON

Last edited by Death2All; 2013-01-26 at 12:13 PM.
Old 2013-01-26, 12:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by Death2All View Post
What's the point of pulling a tank when a BFR does everything better and you don't need to find a gunner (and if you did you were even more effective). Sure, they took a lot of certs to gain and there was kind of a pain in the ass cave kill/cave capture requirement to become imprinted but the fact remains that they still killed off a lot of fun that the game could've had.
The biggest downsides to BFRs:

-Size which exposes their presence
-Slow moving (Land mass between bases were large in PS1 then in PS2) *This is kind of offset if you have a BFR with jumpjets. IMO, those should have never existed or had a much less effective height to the jump.

Last edited by Crator; 2013-01-26 at 12:23 PM.
Old 2013-01-28, 08:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Figment
Lieutenant General

If your gunner certed Lodestar, slow moving was not an issue. Heck, it'd be an exp fest all-round for the gunner.
Old 2013-01-28, 02:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Crator
Major General

^ True, but the speed of movement required teamwork. So that was the trade off for that.
Old 2013-01-29, 09:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Figment
Lieutenant General

I'd say the acquisition rules were the biggest trade-off really (including for Lodestar, if not especially for the Lodestar: too much effort for most players).
Old 2013-01-29, 04:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Crator
Major General

You mean in regards to cert restrictions based on BR? I agree with that one too. A lot of people would rather cert in something other then the LS.
Old 2013-02-02, 01:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Plissket
Private

Originally Posted by Secant View Post
The only way BFR's would've ever made sense is as a CR6 special ability like...once a day if that. Not pilotable. Just a moderately capable AI that maybe you can set the goal position of. Orbital drop a BFR of your preferred configuration onto the battlefield like a giant walking spitfire turret; at least it wouldn't be possible to abuse the piss out of them. Maybe keep an AMS-bubble-range calldown restriction as well...
I only started playing PS1 a couple of years ago when Gemini was made the last server, so I actually didn't see any of the really bad BFR stuff.

From what I heard though they did try making them a rare perk at the start, players had to have core combat (obviously) and they were insanely powerful but on a 12 hour cooldown. That really didn't work.

Personally I actually like them, at least the 2 man ones, yet they are heavily armoured with their shield, but they are slow as heck and their weaponry is barely any better then a main tank.

I've been jumped and destroyed in seconds my 4 guys in that cloaked aircraft.

One tank can take one out, but they just need to keep mobile (I've done that a lot of times with a mag), but if someone is dumb enough to stand toe to toe with a BFR then they just get blatted.

The only two things I don't like about them are the solo ones that have jumpjets, I have no problem with them having jump jets but they should have a long cooldown, as right now they can always get away from any fight.

And the lasers, I love the sound and looks of the weapon, its incredibly short ranged too which is fine, but the damage is way too low to justify taking them.

To me BFR's seem to have gotten a lot of hate for how they were OP at the start, in their current state now they don't seem overbalancing to me. Orbital strikes and Reavers seem the most OP weapons.

I've quit so many games because I've been orbital strike spammed since there is just no response to it, that weapon should have been more of a tactical one where orbital ships line up for the shot, and the other side can see the danger zones (so it denies areas of the battlefield to players, maybe leaving them radioactive/boiling hot) rather then the one shot it is now.
Old 2013-02-02, 08:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
You mean in regards to cert restrictions based on BR? I agree with that one too. A lot of people would rather cert in something other then the LS.
I mean real world logistical line restrictions: DSC, Sanc.

"ZOMG, would have to bind to a base or recall to Sanc to get a new one! I'll just spawn nearby."
Old 2013-02-02, 11:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
I mean real world logistical line restrictions: DSC, Sanc.

"ZOMG, would have to bind to a base or recall to Sanc to get a new one! I'll just spawn nearby."
Ah yes, size does matter...
Old 2013-02-26, 05:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Larington
Corporal

I just remember being extremely grumpy about the NC gunner BFR.

So here it is, VS have the tank with the lowest armour but it does have the ability to float on water and it's a sniper tank (With the caveat it CANNOT 1 shot troops, unlike PS2's Saron).
Then NC get a BFR gunner variant with its own sniper AV cannon up top with higher accuracy than the MagRider gunner gun AND the BFR having its regenerating shield and lots of armour. And suddenly, overnight, the Magrider became worthless and column nights in the outfit stopped happening.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion