Vehicle - Aircraft: the Hammerhead - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Your one stop shop for everything planetside
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-08-10, 11:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Gonzo
Private

Re: Vehicle - Aircraft: the Hammerhead

Originally Posted by Talek Krell View Post
Why not just make it a Lib variant? I've long been of the opinion that the Lib should have module options to switch out the bombardier with troop transport capacity or other support functions.
This is also an option, but at some point, I really think the game should have more variety in vehicles, not just another set-up for one of the existing vehicles. I think the Liberator does well as a dedicated fire support platform, it gives it a certain intimidation factor and lets you know what's coming when you see one on the horizon. Some of that could be lost if it has support roles built in. "Oh Balls, Liberator coming in for a run! Get inside...er, no, just ammo. False alarm guys!"
Old 2012-08-14, 06:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
I think the Liberator does well as a dedicated fire support platform, it gives it a certain intimidation factor and lets you know what's coming when you see one on the horizon. Some of that could be lost if it has support roles built in.
That's based on visual recognition though. If a supply Lib looks distinctly different from a combat Lib then people will easily recognize them. By the same token if the Hammerhead has a similar profile to the Lib then people may confuse them.

The more I think about it the less significant it really seems, but declaring it a "variant" would at least do two things for us:
1. Allow the skill trees to be merged.
2. Give the devs implicit consent to re-use design elements.
The first lowers the entry barrier for players using the vehicle. "Hey, you've already got tier two of the Lib certs unlocked right? Could you maybe pick up the Hammerhead module because I would love to have some bullets right about now?".
The second makes the design process a bit easier by giving the devs a start point.
Both encourage the devs to experiment more often with more unusual ideas.
Old 2012-08-14, 08:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Duskguy
Staff Sergeant

i think a whole new vehicle with it's own look would be better than just making new certs for something already there, at least in this case.

as for the hammerhead, i was thinking something with, as i said before, a pair of cockpits lined horizontal rather than vertically.

never looked into warhammer 40k, but when searching for a picture to demenstrate what i pictured this vehicle looking like, i found :http://www.beastsofwar.com/wp-conten...erhead-01a.jpg
and
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...Tekka_Croe.jpg

i pictured an aircraft looking much like that, although not with a big cannon, and the center would be a cockpit for the pilot. that would be what the close air unit i pictured would look like except without big cannons on top.

when mentioning a hammerhead support only unit, i pictured something like that, but mixed with http://s1.aecdn.com/images/news/nu-d...ld-24549_8.jpg

the back would have the tranport beam/rods while the front looked much like the hammerhead thing. one side would be the pilot, the other a passenger and the back would carry some sort of supply/support item(s). the vehicle would be distinct and you would be ableto tell whether or not it has already dropped it's cargo based on the rear being filled or empty.

note: i would've posted the pictures directly, but couldnt get them smaller and didnt want to take up the whole page with pictures.
Old 2012-08-15, 11:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Xenostalker
Corporal

Originally Posted by Duskguy View Post
i think a whole new vehicle with it's own look would be better than just making new certs for something already there, at least in this case.

as for the hammerhead, i was thinking something with, as i said before, a pair of cockpits lined horizontal rather than vertically.

never looked into warhammer 40k, but when searching for a picture to demenstrate what i pictured this vehicle looking like, i found :http://www.beastsofwar.com/wp-conten...erhead-01a.jpg
and
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...Tekka_Croe.jpg

i pictured an aircraft looking much like that, although not with a big cannon, and the center would be a cockpit for the pilot. that would be what the close air unit i pictured would look like except without big cannons on top.

when mentioning a hammerhead support only unit, i pictured something like that, but mixed with http://s1.aecdn.com/images/news/nu-d...ld-24549_8.jpg

the back would have the tranport beam/rods while the front looked much like the hammerhead thing. one side would be the pilot, the other a passenger and the back would carry some sort of supply/support item(s). the vehicle would be distinct and you would be ableto tell whether or not it has already dropped it's cargo based on the rear being filled or empty.

note: i would've posted the pictures directly, but couldnt get them smaller and didnt want to take up the whole page with pictures.
Hmm.

Not sure if I actually like that direction. I was hoping to keep the design inbetween the Galaxy and the Lib - with a clear emphasis on VTOL.

Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
This is also an option, but at some point, I really think the game should have more variety in vehicles, not just another set-up for one of the existing vehicles. I think the Liberator does well as a dedicated fire support platform, it gives it a certain intimidation factor and lets you know what's coming when you see one on the horizon. Some of that could be lost if it has support roles built in. "Oh Balls, Liberator coming in for a run! Get inside...er, no, just ammo. False alarm guys!"
I agree, more vehicles and less variants/customizations/etc to fulfill new/different roles is key to making this game "more Planetside-like."

People could argue that the deliverer was not needed due to having the leviathan - and vice versa.

Also, visual distinction is key in PS.

Originally Posted by Talek Krell View Post
Why not just make it a Lib variant? I've long been of the opinion that the Lib should have module options to switch out the bombardier with troop transport capacity or other support functions.
Liberator is beefy, slow, and a giant target. I don't see how a variation of that would work, aesthetically.

This aircraft is designed to be slick, and add a completely different play style to flying - get in, get out.

Last edited by Xenostalker; 2012-08-15 at 11:30 AM.
Old 2012-08-16, 04:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Duskguy
Staff Sergeant

the pictures are just design/shape reference, it would still be VTOL. and why would you name it hammerhead if it didnt have anything to do with a hammerhead?

if it will just look like a gal/liberator, it might as well just be a variant, which is dumb, because we need more vehicles imo.

you wanted transport capability, well thats what the big support arms are for, to carry objects. people will be able to tell whether the ship has equpment or not and it could carry all your suggested items, walls, crates of health, ammo, etc. meanwhile the front would be shaped like that warhammer 40k thing, w/e it is.

you want a seperate unit called a hammerhead, but want it to look like a child made between a lib and a gal....makes no sense imo.

to me, the name is important. if you are going to name it hammerhead, there needs to be something that corresponds to that name and distinguishes it as "the hammerhead". if its just a liberator that carries supplies, might as well just call it "the freighter".
Old 2012-08-16, 09:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Xenostalker
Corporal

Originally Posted by Duskguy View Post
the pictures are just design/shape reference, it would still be VTOL. and why would you name it hammerhead if it didnt have anything to do with a hammerhead?

if it will just look like a gal/liberator, it might as well just be a variant, which is dumb, because we need more vehicles imo.

you wanted transport capability, well thats what the big support arms are for, to carry objects. people will be able to tell whether the ship has equpment or not and it could carry all your suggested items, walls, crates of health, ammo, etc. meanwhile the front would be shaped like that warhammer 40k thing, w/e it is.

you want a seperate unit called a hammerhead, but want it to look like a child made between a lib and a gal....makes no sense imo.

to me, the name is important. if you are going to name it hammerhead, there needs to be something that corresponds to that name and distinguishes it as "the hammerhead". if its just a liberator that carries supplies, might as well just call it "the freighter".
A hammerhead shark clearly influenced the design. I don't see why there is any confusion to this.

The forward hull/wingspan is clearly designed in such a manner:

http://postimage.org/image/53le5v0fr/

I will hand-sketch a new concept design with Photoshop once I get time.
I will take into considering the transport mechanic proposed by other users this time around.

The design is something SOE will have direct control of, in the end.
Old 2012-08-17, 08:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Duskguy
Staff Sergeant

alright, for one, i apologize, as i havent looked at the opriginal design pictures you posted since i first started pating attention to the thread.
our concepts of the front are similar, with the exception that the cockpit would be a bit forward of the hammerhead design in your diagram and mine would have it as a part of the design.
and while your design would have engines in the hammerhead part, mine had guns.
the last divergent part between our ideas is that i pictured a thick, heavily engined rear, while your design has less horsepower in the rear.

for the carrying method, your design is basically what i was picturing with that helo's large legs. mine would just be surrounded by engines while yours wouldnt.

and lastly, i dont see how that resembles a liberator or a galaxy, as they both have very thick bodies from front to back, and from what i can tell your design would have it thinning quite a bit towards the rear. and yes, of course the final design concept is left to the people at SOE.

Last edited by Duskguy; 2012-08-17 at 08:43 AM.
Old 2012-08-30, 09:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
gunsmoke
Private

Aircraft

You should let the galaxy hold vehicles so like when the galaxy lands thats the time you can unload the vehicles instead of in the air.You could also have a option to were you can make it a bomber or take out the seats and add spots for vehicles.

If you like the idea reply and add me for the beta
Old 2012-09-04, 07:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Xenostalker
Corporal

Re: Aircraft

Originally Posted by gunsmoke View Post
You should let the galaxy hold vehicles so like when the galaxy lands thats the time you can unload the vehicles instead of in the air.You could also have a option to were you can make it a bomber or take out the seats and add spots for vehicles.

If you like the idea reply and add me for the beta
This thread isn't about the Galaxy.

the final design concept is left to the people at SOE.
I'm not even going to draw it again, because ultimately they will end up changing it anyways - it's SOE, they do it their way.

--

I can say firsthand from beta impressions that this aircraft or some similar variation of it (any type of support hot-drop mechanic) would be absolutely awesome.

Last edited by Xenostalker; 2012-09-09 at 04:22 PM.
Old 2012-09-05, 05:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
Dagron
Captain

I love this idea! As someone who plans to play mostly with a small squad of friends (because some don't speak much english), i'm really looking forward to the implementation of smaller, more agile transport/support (both air and ground) vehicles. Buggy and HH ftw!
Old 2012-10-11, 11:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Xenostalker
Corporal

Originally Posted by Dagron View Post
I love this idea! As someone who plans to play mostly with a small squad of friends (because some don't speak much english), i'm really looking forward to the implementation of smaller, more agile transport/support (both air and ground) vehicles. Buggy and HH ftw!
Really missing the buggy myself. :P

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault