Improvement: Scythe Redesign - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: If your reading this you come here to much
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-06-23, 08:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Khrakhan
Corporal

Re: Scythe Redesign

It's got no ass cuz it needs no ass! :P

nuff said
Old 2012-06-23, 11:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
jepaul
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
I personally do not like the direction the VS style has taken. To bring it back in line with the TR and NC designs with a more reserved technical side I'm proposing a visual change.

I'm not an artist so I just moved things around into the basic shape I'd prefer. Not sure if anyone is familiar with Stargate X-302? Basically I'm going with that dropped wing shape, but shorter to have a similar profile as the other fighters. I've also added a more classic tail design since I was not a fan of the original one.

I still kept the flat design and removed the giant top part which I don't think fit. I've kept the overlapping armor design though.

The only problem I see is it somewhat looks like a fish. This might need to be fixed by creating more detailed carvings into the top and sides. I'm not artistic enough to create those though.

Before (right click -> view image for full-size)

After

Any comments?

You say you aren't an artist but damn!! Dude your good.
Old 2012-06-24, 12:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by jepaul View Post
You say you aren't an artist but damn!! Dude your good.
eh, it was just a quick rearrangement of the parts. I'd imagine EvilRedrum or one of the concept artists could make it look better. That's the problem of proposing changes without recreating the 3D model. It never looks as good as you imagine it in your head. I started doing a redesign for the magrider and it didn't turn out right. Starting from scratch again since I can't get the detail I want from the picture I chose to use.

I think I waited too long to propose the change for the Scythe. I think everyone seems to have gotten used to the front and back parts now for the most part. I personally can't get over how silly they look, but I guess that's just me at this point. (It looks like UFO to me and flies like one). Personally the Mosquito and Reaver need some touch ups also to make them look more fierce. They went too utilitarian for my taste.
Old 2012-06-24, 08:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
AnamNantom
Master Sergeant

I'm with what seems like the majority here. I like your Photoshopping, but I don't want the Scythe changed at all. I wouldn't mind this being another vehicle though.

I like the Scythe's aggressive look. It kind of reminds me of the Dramiel from Eve Online:

Or the Cylon Raider ships, as was stated here earlier:

These designs remind me of:

Wooly Mammoth

Or of course:

Elephant

or even:

Boar

or:

Smilodon

or:

Walrus

My point? Exactly that, I want my ship to have pointy fang/tusk things as it's very aggressive looking because of the animal kingdom and recent sci-fi use of the design, covering many basis, striking fear in the hearts of TR and NC everywhere... or maybe, at least, convincing some to join us for our pointy ships!
Old 2012-06-24, 08:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Cuross
Master Sergeant

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uo7QCC2EDtk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Why not call it a Puma?
Old 2012-06-24, 01:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Knotz
Sergeant

There isn't really a place for it if you make it a new vehicle. What role would it fill? What do the TR and NC get that is it's equivalent? If it is a fighter, then the VS already have the Scythe, if it is a bomber, then they already have the Liberator (although I am in favour of making Libs, Gals, Flashes and Sundies be Empire Specific to the TR and have the VS and NC get new equivalents.)

It does look awesome, but if its not a redesign then there is no place for it.
Old 2012-06-24, 02:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Synapse
First Sergeant

Redesign does not look anywhere near alien enough. I like the current one.
Old 2012-06-24, 02:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Rago
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by DjEclipse View Post

I am in love with ^this Scythe.

Nice photoshop skills though.
100% my Opinion !

It need´s rig slots for the Afterburners :P (Dramiel)

No i think the Scyte looks better, the Dramiel can go very fast but reminds be Everytime of a Bee.

Last edited by Rago; 2012-06-24 at 02:49 PM.
Old 2012-06-24, 03:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
MasterCalaelen
PSU Staff
Wiki Ninja

Great job on the redesign, it looks great. For a fighter aircraft however, I prefer the more aggressive looking original. You version seems better suited for a support type aircraft IMO.
Old 2012-06-24, 04:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
BillyBob
Corporal

First, let me commend you on your Photoshopping, good job!

In terms of the actual design though, I must admit I personally prefer the original one.

IMO it's just more fitting for the name Scythe...and I also find its silhouette to be more characteristic and recognizable.

Sorry, but you did ask for comments and this is just my honest opinion.

/BB
Old 2012-06-24, 05:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Trignite
Private

I don't like your design that much i think it would look better if the wings were facing towards the back instead of the front.
Old 2012-06-24, 08:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
AnamNantom
Master Sergeant

Speaking of the Dramiels make me think... it would be interesting if Planetside 2 came out with orbital conquest, where you took your ships into space and took on stations or large mother ships... maybe having to dock up and take them over the same way we do stations and towers..

Last edited by AnamNantom; 2012-06-24 at 08:22 PM.
Old 2012-06-24, 08:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by AnamNantom View Post
Speaking of the Dramiels make me think... it would be interesting if Planetside 2 came out with orbital conquest, where you took your ships into space and took on stations or large mother ships... maybe having to dock up and take them over the same way we do stations and towers..
That reminds of Starwars Battlefront 2, cool game, if only they were makign a 3rd, but they arn't, which saddens me
Old 2012-06-24, 09:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Femtobyte
Private

I recently started a thread in the Planetside 2 idea bucket part of the forum, on this very topic. http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=43781 StarWars Battlefront 2 was at one time my favorite game, And without a doubt the space combat was the best part for me. The thought of what amazing things the devs could come out with, when they aren't constrained to 2 factions or instanced game-play in space makes me ALL excited.
Old 2012-06-24, 09:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
MrMorton
Sergeant

I'm with what seems like the majority here. I like your Photoshopping, but I don't want the Scythe changed at all. I wouldn't mind this being another vehicle though.

I like the Scythe's aggressive look. It kind of reminds me of the Dramiel from Eve Online:

Or the Cylon Raider ships, as was stated here earlier:

These designs remind me of:

Wooly Mammoth

Or of course:

Elephant

or even:

Boar

or:

Smilodon

or:

Walrus

My point? Exactly that, I want my ship to have pointy fang/tusk things as it's very aggressive looking because of the animal kingdom and recent sci-fi use of the design, covering many basis, striking fear in the hearts of TR and NC everywhere... or maybe, at least, convincing some to join us for our pointy ships!
so basically, VS players walruses

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault