Systems: E-Sport - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hamma is Alf
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 2.11 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-06-27, 05:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Knotz
Sergeant

Re: E-Sport

You've got 2 options... have it on the same server as a real war and have players interfering...

Out of the question, why take up valuable server space to accomodate your pathetic little minigame?

OR

Get a dedicated server purely for these mini battles

ALSO out of the question, servers aren't free, they can be put to much better use having a proper game on it.

CONCLUSION:
Screw E-Sports.
Old 2012-06-27, 06:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
akiadan
Private

Could be cool to see E-Sports find it's way here. Perhaps it could be in the towers? I recall a while ago that there was word about outfit placed towers/small bases. I haven't been looking at too much of the news to know if that got called off but either way I have an idea.

It would be based on a point system over time based on capturing points. A time limit of say a few hours or so depending on circumstances.

Contested tower capture : 5 points
Contested tower defend: 3 points
Contested hex capture: 2 Points
Contested hex defend: 1 point
Contested base Capture: 20 Points
Contested base defend: 15 Points
Opposing team tower capture: 50 Points
Friendly team tower defend: 40 Points

Rules: Team in question must be within hex grid effected by capture during the hack. Entering late will result in fewer points or if entering after area is secure by friendly forces.
More than half the team must be present at all times during a capture (To prevent every unit on the team going to a different battle to gain points.)
No more than 3 teams in a single match and no more than 1 team per faction.
Outfit tower captures need not be contested to gain full points.
Friendly empire support on Outfit towers is accepted.

(just kinda a few rules that popped in my head right away)
This is in no way Grief proof as it is MMO. Outfit towers are the most because it would give the sense of the team needing to keep an eye on their tower, but as well as tactical thinking involved in factoring in taking the opposing team's tower.

I dont really think it would work honestly but just an idea.
Old 2012-06-30, 10:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Failsafe
Private

The two things that set Planetside apart are persistence and scale. Any mode or area of the game that sets even teams or has some kind of final score take away the two things that make the game special. People playing the "sport" version aren't playing Planetside but some kind of Planetside mod making it more like BF3. And so what's the point?

Plus FPS esports never pulls in many viewers. It would only be of interest to a subset of PS2 players, and again, the teams they're watching aren't really playing the game.

My guess is, just my guess, that an esport mode would split the player base. The more traditional fps players would argue the esport mode requires more skill. Many casual players would be drawn to the instant esport action rather than take part in long base fights. That's a lot of people not taking part in the main fight.

Most fps games are like boxing matches. Set rounds, points, even teams, clear winners. Planetside, and only Planetside, is like a bar fight. Trying to make bar fights into a spectator sport takes away what makes bar fights fun (metaphorically speaking).
Old 2012-06-30, 11:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Dagron
Captain

I also don't mind people having their e-sport option, but i don't like the idea of it interfering in any way with regular play.

There could be a couple servers tagged as e-sports enabled, where non e-sports players are welcome but are warned that their gameplay is second to the e-sports players. Then i wouldn't mind those servers having for example different friendly fire rules for the different types of players during events.

But seriously, please don't mess up everyone else's games.

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-07-01 at 12:08 AM.
Old 2012-06-30, 11:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
super pretendo
First Sergeant

stop.
Old 2012-07-01, 05:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Dagron View Post
I also don't mind people having their e-sport option, but i don't like the idea of it interfering in any way with regular play.
This. I agree with first couple of points in OP, then comes the part with invalid friendly fire what means that "esportmen" won't have to mind where their friendlies are shooting - how do you distingusih the case when somebody ganking a friendly on purpose and the one where a guy runs into friendly's path of fire? And part about resource trading is terrible. This is a free to play MMO with possible number of accounts per person as high as the number of new emails one can create, do you really think rez trading wouldn't get exploited?

If you people can find a way to organize competitive event like that without changes to the game I really don't care... but if it will affect the game (for me and rest who don't to participate either) in anyway then I'm against.

Last edited by Immigrant; 2012-07-01 at 05:02 AM.
Old 2012-07-01, 01:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
OutlawDr
Contributor
First Sergeant

It no longer becomes a competitive match once interference from general population comes into play. You'll get a lot of belly aching and whining that one side's zerg had more or stacked with more top players. It won't be taken seriously as an e-sport.
the competitive squad becomes invulnerable to friendly fire
Really, this starts getting silly. No way is this going to fly.
Old 2012-07-01, 03:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by OutlawDr View Post
Really, this starts getting silly. No way is this going to fly.
Okay, go TK them because you think e-sports are for suckers, and your opinion is the last they care about. Instead of crying "OMG, "E" WORD!", and showing your wonderful skills of being negative, you could've at least offered some other solution. The amount of ignorance in this thread is going off charts.
Old 2012-07-01, 03:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
berzerkerking
Second Lieutenant

this thread is still alive? I don't think you understood me. The answer is
Old 2012-07-01, 04:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Dagron
Captain

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
Okay, go TK them because you think e-sports are for suckers, and your opinion is the last they care about. Instead of crying "OMG, "E" WORD!", and showing your wonderful skills of being negative, you could've at least offered some other solution. The amount of ignorance in this thread is going off charts.
I said what i didn't like about the idea and then i did suggest something to make it more palatable, but you seem to only focus on the negative responses.

Also, what actually made everyone cringe was the friendly fire nonsense. Just because you want it to be prejudice against e-sports, it mostly isn't (for some of us at least).

Most people don't really care about e-sports in a negative or in a positive way, but when it starts to mess up the game for us (specially in such a direct way as you proposed) that's when people start to bash it.

edit:
Originally Posted by berzerkerking View Post
this thread is still alive? I don't think you understood me. The answer is [no.]
Really, to some people this may be hilarious, but it solves nothing. All it does is turn the target into an angry zealot.

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-07-01 at 04:53 PM.
Old 2012-07-01, 07:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Really, to some people this may be hilarious, but it solves nothing. All it does is turn the target into an angry zealot.

If by any chance you mean me, the thing is, I'm not a fan of the E-Sports-to-PlanetSide either. Just offered a solution that proved appealing to some. Saying "NO" to me doesn't change the fact that they will at some point add the e-sport system, despite the community's disregard for it.

TL;DR Did I ever say anything about me supporting E-Sports? So "no", idd. Good try.

Most people don't really care about e-sports in a negative or in a positive way, but when it starts to mess up the game for us (specially in such a direct way as you proposed) that's when people start to bash it.
My solution is the product of people not liking instancing in planetside, and the fact that "any e-sport shouldn't go separated from the game if implemented". That's exactly the opposite of what you are saying.

Last edited by NewSith; 2012-07-01 at 07:03 PM.
Old 2012-07-01, 07:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
OutlawDr
Contributor
First Sergeant

ehhh, calm down

Like dragon, I don't have some axe to grind against e-sports. I watch e-sport stuff on occasion. Its fun to watch, but I just don't see it happening in PS2 without it interfering with the core game...and your FF "solution" is a prime example of esports mucking up the game for everyone else...which is exactly what people are afraid is going to happen. Frankly PS2 doesn't seem like a good fit with esports, and I think we'll simply be spinning our wheels trying to cram it in somewhere.
Old 2012-07-01, 08:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Dagron
Captain

If by any chance you mean me
Nope, i wasn't talking about you. It was just to point out how posting "comedy" without any arguments just pisses people off and doesn't help someone convience others of their point of view, in fact it does the opposite.

I always try my best not to insult people at the drop of a hat on the internet. I know it's not the norm, but i feel it's one of the things people shouldn't do just to try and fit in.

My solution is the product of people not liking instancing in planetside, and the fact that "any e-sport shouldn't go separated from the game if implemented". That's exactly the opposite of what you are saying.
People don't want to separate e-sports players from the rest of the playerbase? I find that hard to believe: e-sports players don't want the regular players interfering with their rated games and regular players don't want e-sport events interfering with their fun.

At least that's how i've interpreted every conversation on the subject i've ever heard/read.

Not liking instancing is one thing, mixing up different styles of play is another. To explain it in MMORPG terms, it's like either forcing PvP players to play in a PvE server or vice versa.

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-07-01 at 08:42 PM.
Old 2012-07-02, 06:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
BillyBob
Corporal

Why would our opinion be any less valid than that of those in favor of e-sports?

Why should we have to offer any solution to e-sports when it's a feature we don't even want?

Why would we be ignorant just because we do not want e-sports?

Also, I really don't see why I or anyone else would have to justify or even explain why we don't want to participate in e-sports or be forced to do so, regardless of it being actively or passively.

Some of us are into PS2 strictly for the combat aspects of the game and we don't want our gameplay affected in ANY way (no matter how slight) for the sake of implementing e-sports...nor do we want to be forced into sharing the in-game combat area with players having an e-sports agenda.

Personally, the only possible solution I see for any e-sports to be implemented into PS2, is for it to be completely separated from the core default gameplay, either by server or instance.

/BB

Last edited by BillyBob; 2012-07-02 at 06:25 AM.
Old 2012-07-02, 06:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
Why would our opinion be any less valid than that of those in favor of e-sports?

Why should we have to offer any solution to e-sports when it's a feature we don't even want?

Why would we be ignorant just because we do not want e-sports?

Also, I really don't see why I or anyone else would have to justify or even explain why we don't want to participate in e-sports or be forced to do so, regardless of it being actively or passively.

Some of us are into PS2 strictly for the combat aspects of the game and we don't want our gameplay affected in ANY way (no matter how slight) for the sake of implementing e-sports...nor do we want to be forced into sharing the in-game combat area with players having an e-sports agenda.

Personally, the only possible solution I see for any e-sports to be implemented into PS2, is for it to be completely separated from the core default gameplay, either by server or instance.

/BB
I already answered all your questions, except for one.

If you say no to something, because, well, no, isn't that a sign of ignorance? I'll go as to far as to explain that "I don't want to share ground with e-sport" argument is also not an explanation, but just rewording of that very "no".

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault