XP and other NON_Hamma Dev threads.. (he's special, gets his own Thread) - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Dang! I've crashed the galaxy again.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2002-12-12, 04:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

XP and other NON_Hamma Dev threads.. (he's special, gets his own Thread)

Author Topic: Experience (BEP) farming exploit
GumboPudding
Station Member

posted 12-12-2002 12:52 PM user search report post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now I did a search for this and couldn't find anything. I also searched and couldn't find a real down side to death aside from you have to get back into action and that may take time. I appologize in advance if this has been discussed.
So, is it not possible to have two teams farm experience points off each other? Here is how I am thinking it could work.

Get two teams(from different sides) together in the middle of nowhere. Both set up an Advanced Mobile Station,as this lets the people bind and respawn there. So if the two teams are working together could they not set this up and just sit there killing each other all day long getting thousands of kills on each other? Just put on the weakest armor possible and can even use the knife.

Did I miss some down side to dying that would prevent this? Is there a time lock on weapon usage after death? Do we get less and less beps for killing the same person in a set time? I know those mobile stations take a high level to earn, but if one member of the team focuses on that first, then use the earned beps from that to max out the rest. You can evens swap out to other characters and rejoin the squad and do more fighting.

I may have missed one very important fact that makes this not work. If so, please let me know.

**********Dev Reply*******************************

SmokeJumperPS
Station Admin
Registered: Sep 2001 posted 12-12-2002 01:24 PM user search report post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can only gain xp if there are bad guys in the area. If there are enemies around, your "trading whacks" idea is bound to get interrupted more than a few times. Additionally, there are time outs (for killing the same player more than once in a couple of minutes) and some "watchdog" routines that watch for people that *do* whack each other via macro. It'll be surprising if this sort of behavior gets too out of control.
As far as the BEP system being "useless" as JRavey suggest...well...I suggest you play the game and make an assumption for yourself rather than listen to folks who may not have all available information at their disposal. I'm not saying that JRavey is correct or incorrect in his assertion, but his point is one that came up a long time ago in conversation here and we think we've planned for it well...just not publicly, if you know what I mean. More info on this will most likely come up during External Beta. However, suffice it to say that BEP being maxxed out is not necessarily a bad thing. (This is not the case with CEP, and CEP requires different checks and balances to prevent imbalances in that system.)

http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/p...ML/000666.html
Old 2002-12-12, 04:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

Author Topic: The Geographic War
PrivateMonkey
Station Member
Registered: Mar 2001 posted 12-12-2002 10:53 AM user search report post
It strikes again!!!
Some of you might remember my old rants about how the game ought to be geographic. Well, today I gott my gamespy daily and the main story was about Planetside. I read through the article, and for the most part was impressed. Then, I go to the screenshots, and this baby shows up:

http://www.gamespy.com/asp/image.asp...etsidepc/3.jpg

Needless to say, my reaction was far from positive. I guess I'm just a little confused here. It appears as though all plans for a geographic battle have been largely scrapped. After all, how can it make sense that the continent Cyssor has warpgates linking to the TR and NC sanctuaries (both of which are on the far sides of the map), and yet has not one warpgate leading to the VS Sanctuary, the closest continent to it?!?

The only justification I can conjure up for this is that it helps gameplay and balance. However, I must make a comment: if the devs have already decided that each continent will have specific warpgates leading to specific continents, what would be the problem in just relocating the continents on this "world map"? For example, wouldn't it make much more sense if Cyssor were to exchange geographic location with the continent Searhus? It could still link to the same continents it is now linked to, but it would make more sense geographically. I can't see how this would affect gameplay, and it would make much more sense from a geographic standpoint. It may just be a little pet-peeve of mine, but wouldn't you rather fight the war geographically? For me it not only makes more sense to do so, but also gives the "greater battle" more significance. It should be a fairly rare experience for TR troops to visit Hossin, for the VS to visit Ceryshen, and for the NC to visit Esamir. Setting up the map so that it works geographically will give the game more depth, and help the enhance the "illusion" that we are actually fighting on one big world, not 10 smaller ones. Since the only effect this change will really have is on the way the world map is set up, I can't see how gameplay would be effected.

The Devs have already decided which continents link with which. All I'm saying is set up those continents on the world map so that the links between them make geographic sense.

************* DEV REPLY *******************

SmokeJumperPS
Station Admin
Registered: Sep 2001 posted 12-12-2002 01:52 PM user search report post
There absolutely *IS* logic to how the continents, and their warp gates, are laid out. The world is very balanced because of those decisions. We leave it up to you (once you get hold of the game) to figure it all out, but it's pretty obvious once you see the warp gate connections laid out the correct way.
We just didn't want it to be TOOO patently obvious.

http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/p...ML/000663.html
Old 2002-12-12, 04:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

0GPaDLa
Station Member
Registered: May 2002 posted 12-11-2002 08:29 PM user search report post
Hello, Back from long absence since the closure of the old forums
But is it me or do new screens look worse (*ALOT* worse) than the old ones? Is it because they are in the process of optimizing graphics and framerates? And has the pricing been decided yet?

Naysar
Station Member
Registered: Aug 2002 posted 12-11-2002 08:39 PM user search report post
The shots you saw were likely the ones on gamespot, which are scaled down in resolution to save on bandwidth.

0GPaDLa
Station Member
Registered: May 2002 posted 12-12-2002 12:19 PM user search report post
In the new screens, light vegetation such as plants flowers and grass is totally absent, is that because its disabled for the moment or is it because this was removed altogether??

DEV RPLY *********************** HEHEHEH FUNNY!

dtthan
Station Member
Registered: Oct 1997 posted 12-12-2002 12:38 PM user search report post
Vegetation can be dense in some areas, and not others. Some of the screenshots apparently were taken in these less "dense" areas.
Danny

BlackbirdPS
Station Admin
Registered: Nov 2000 posted 12-12-2002 12:39 PM user search report post
Whoops ... forgot to use my blue login. Heh.
Danny

http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/p...ML/000654.html
Old 2002-12-12, 04:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

Author Topic: DEVS: Concern about hits and visual feedback
FragBob
Station Member
Registered: Dec 2002 posted 12-11-2002 09:08 PM user search report post
I recently watched some of the gameplay trailers of PS and while it does look promising, I noticed something that I implore to be changed - the dust balls shown when enemies are shot must be replaced with something more appropriate, like sparks or ricochets. If this is just a placeholder, I understand but if not, Devs, I really suggest you change that out because I see no plausable explanation as to why you would see dust clouds when shooting at armor.

*********************** DEV RPLY ********************

BlackbirdPS
Station Admin
Registered: Nov 2000 posted 12-12-2002 01:20 PM user search report post
Hmm, I don't recall dust balls. Right now, when you hit someone, a momentary shimmering effect is seen around the target. It's hard to miss it.
Danny

http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/p...ML/000655.html
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion