TR Max lockdown - Not again! - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: ANTs are like tanks, only they don't have armor or guns.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-10-01, 02:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Marsgrim
Sergeant

TR Max lockdown - Not again!

You cannot seriously be proposing to keep the TR MAX lockdown. It doesn;t matter what has changed in the game design/engine, the fundemental rule of an FPS is stationary = dead.

The idea in PS was horribly thought out, incredibly poorly balanced and one of the universally agreed flaws - the DC has to lockdown to acheive the same TTK as a moving Scatmax, which has a shield to eat a deci. This is why the TR have comparitively fewer MAXes at this stage in the game.

The only way this is remotely viable is if they got significant shield/health improvements, but even then it just makes whoever is using it too easy a target.

Please, please, please, please reconsider. This is something I will bet now you get pleaded to change in beta - start thinking of the alternatives!!
Old 2011-10-01, 02:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
CutterJohn
Colonel

Re: TR MAX LOCKDOWN - NOT AGAIN!

I agree I was not all that pleased to see its return. Overdrive was a far better concept.

Though it could just be a max ability, and not a TR special, and confer some serious defensive boosts when used.
Old 2011-10-01, 02:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Quite simply the fire rate bonus needs to be worth sacrificing movement to attain.

Back at PS1's launch I believe the TR MAXs had a ~80% fire rate when not locked down, and ~120% when locked down. This was obviously ridiculous. What they need is 100% fire rate, which then increases enough to be worth staying still for.

Note that the VS MAX only sacrificed accuracy when jumping; they should probably not be able to fire when jumping to balance out against the other empires.
Old 2011-10-01, 02:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by DviddLeff View Post
Note that the VS MAX only sacrificed accuracy when jumping; they should probably not be able to fire when jumping to balance out against the other empires.
And when the NC use their shield their gun shouldn't fire through it?

Rather just see a non-locked down TR. I completely agree that not being able to move was the TR max downfall. I used to kill their AA max on hills using my liberator front gun. Best part is when they were locked down and you'd come up behind them.
Old 2011-10-01, 03:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

I thought the NC MAX couldn't fire when the shield was up?
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-10-01, 04:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
And when the NC use their shield their gun shouldn't fire through it?
Firing disabled the NC shield. They had to choose - shield up OR fire. They didn't get both. After they stop firing there was a short delay before the shield would turn back on (several seconds). So they couldn't shield -> fire -> shield. They would be vulnerable while firing and shortly after stopping. And the shield only gave them like 40% more hp or something assuming a full charge. Charge drained while it was up.

NC max shield was the most balanced of the MAX special abilities. Tradeoffs, weaknesses, warm-up time, a penalty for constantly having it on, not firing while its up, etc.
Old 2011-10-01, 04:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Marsgrim
Sergeant

The shield was balanced, the scatmax was not though - it's the most feared thing in the game and can take out 2 or 3 rexo's even when beingf targetted by AV maxes.

I have no particular issue with the shield.

I have a MASSIVE problem with the lockdown, as will every TR player and quite a few NC and VS. It's just suicide in most cases, it's incredibly situational and of little use!
Old 2011-10-01, 04:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Aractain
Major

The shield was a cool feature that promoted tactical use. Jumping was useful in a lot of situations, lockdown was nessesary all the time but a major disadvantage.

The solution is not to remove it though (it really fits the TR theme). The solution is simply to make it very fast to switch in and out of (less than a second setup/down time) and or make it really amazing like Dviddleff says.
Old 2011-10-01, 05:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

There may be some potential in that idea of giving it defensive bonuses.
Old 2011-10-01, 05:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Captain B
First Sergeant

It does have a defensive bonus, though - in defense. You lock down and anything that waltzes down the hallway gets shred.

It's offensively defensive!
Old 2011-10-01, 05:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Canaris
Contributor
General

Even with a defense bonus on top of the a ROF increase, which is all in all is a good idea. it still leaves the MAX glued to the ground, where it just becomes a bullet/rocket/whatever magnet.

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2011-10-01, 06:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Redshift
Major

Lockdown was a bad concept, you had to use it and as such you were a sitting duck. Overdrive was better but could allow the MAX to become to strong if they had time to charge between fights.

Personally i'd like to see all the MAX's have interchangable specials, so MAX's could choose different setups for different roles.

(I'd also make lockdown give you a forward facing shield charging like the current NC shield)
Old 2011-10-01, 06:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

What the hell are you guys talking? Lockdown is and was awesome. Granted, in a lot of situations it killed you rather quickly, but if you had 2 or 3 DC maxes locked down pointing at one door, and not the entire enemy army storming at you at the same time, then you held that one door forever.

What often caused issues is the lag. Doors opening after shots went throu etc, often DC users just didnt see the enemy after they got hit by the deci.

Besides that, im pretty sure that the entire customization stuff will allow more than just the lockdown ability for TR maxes. Im pretty sure you guys can go with a lot of possible abilitys, maybe all maxes now have all ability, and we just have to choose?
Old 2011-10-01, 06:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Redshift
Major

Originally Posted by basti View Post
What the hell are you guys talking? Lockdown is and was awesome. Granted, in a lot of situations it killed you rather quickly, but if you had 2 or 3 DC maxes locked down pointing at one door, and not the entire enemy army storming at you at the same time, then you held that one door forever.
often DC users just didnt see the enemy after they got hit by the deci.
You're VS of course you liked lockdown, 2-3 of any MAX guarding a door held it forever, the difference being that VS and NC MAXes would not be standing in the exact same place every time you popped round the corner to fire a deci
Old 2011-10-01, 06:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Mirror
First Sergeant

I think this needs to wait till beta.

With all the customization I would bet that max "special" abilities are another thing that can be altered.

http://www.deltatriad.com
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion