PS going FTP - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Flame's not welcome
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2014-03-02, 10:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
Death2All
Major

Misc Info
Re: PS going FTP

Originally Posted by bodypopper View Post
its called a joke,or being ironic.. its an old person thing (29+)
Yes, you radiate with sage wisdom that's gained through a lifetime of insights and experience.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2014-03-02, 12:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Death2All View Post
you think SOE would've made more an effort to ensure the game's success .
Well, don't forget that PS2 was originally supposed to be a relaunch of PS1.

Old 2014-03-07, 09:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Mightymouser
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by bodypopper View Post
youve missed the point there son..

servers cost money to run,if youve worked in the IT field you know they cost a fair bit of cash to run.

mouser:

"At the other hand, it costs them next to nothing to flip a switch and make PS1 free without a sub, and the costs to run the servers with people on them (as opposed to running them empty as they are now) are minuscule... "

please have a look at basic server costs,again im not being a twat seriously look at what it costs to run a server,if in doubt .. ask hamma!

plus the more money ps1 can pull in the more chance there is of it continuing.

why do i feel like im arguing with a load of sociology students?

Did you just call me son? Listen, if you're not over the age of 70, and actively puffing on a pipe, I'd appreciate it if you dropped that condescending tone, thanks.

I've worked extensively in the "IT field", I have a master's in Computer Science. SOE runs very large server farms to support its games, it does not rent server space from GoDaddy, and the server space needed to support 12 continents and routing to the 200 or so people they expect to be pinging those servers is negligible in the scheme of SOE's data server budget.
Old 2014-03-08, 07:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #49
SgtMAD
Captain

Originally Posted by Mightymouser View Post
Did you just call me son? Listen, if you're not over the age of 70, and actively puffing on a pipe, I'd appreciate it if you dropped that condescending tone, thanks.

I've worked extensively in the "IT field", I have a master's in Computer Science. SOE runs very large server farms to support its games, it does not rent server space from GoDaddy, and the server space needed to support 12 continents and routing to the 200 or so people they expect to be pinging those servers is negligible in the scheme of SOE's data server budget.
well, he is a smug little douche with all the knowledge of a 29+ year old LOL

what do you expect from a child?

much respect to you mister mouser, I still remember LOL
Old 2014-03-08, 09:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #50
Calista
Second Lieutenant

Clearly Planetside is not costing them very much since it has been running for quite a while now with an extremely small population (if you can call it that lol). It will be interesting to see what happens if a large influx of players join after it goes free to play. I hope that is a "problem" that comes to pass.
Old 2014-03-08, 11:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
DarkSkyes
Corporal

If any good players are going to play I would suggest playing like a newb for the first 1-2 months/weeks and playing support based only. Nothing stops people playing than getting owned by a more experienced player that warps like a bee on crack over and over again. I would also suggest that good players teach the news ones how to play, even as frustrating as it is, it will encourage them to want to play the game more.

My 2 cents
Old 2014-03-09, 04:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #52
BeatCrazed
Private

I know that I'll be running training squads for newcomers, and I hope others will do so as well.
Old 2014-03-09, 03:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Furber
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by DarkSkyes View Post
If any good players are going to play I would suggest playing like a newb for the first 1-2 months/weeks and playing support based only. Nothing stops people playing than getting owned by a more experienced player that warps like a bee on crack over and over again. I would also suggest that good players teach the news ones how to play, even as frustrating as it is, it will encourage them to want to play the game more.

My 2 cents
I know most people won't be able to restrain their kill whoring habbits, but this really is a good idea. Being new to Planetside has always been hard, but I dare say it'll be the hardest it will ever get when PS1 goes F2P. At the very least we should try not to spawn camp AMSes or OS them every time one deploys and not spend too much time in Reavers. The players are the game's life line, and the more miserable we make the game for new comers, the weaker our life line becomes. I encourage everyone to at least try to incorporate new players to their groups and be helpful to them.
Old 2014-03-09, 03:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Atheosim
Captain

With the free 6mo I was constantly spamming global telling newbies and oldies to ask me any questions they have, and I plan to continue when it goes f2p.

Nothing more welcoming to a newcomer than a helpful community
Old 2014-03-09, 07:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I shall pass on my ancient tradition of sacrificing a Prowler to the Blood God before every continental conquest. Not terribly easy to do with no TR around, the Blood God doesn't like Magriders as much...

Old 2014-03-09, 09:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
GodlessHeretic
Private

If any good players are going to play I would suggest playing like a newb for the first 1-2 months/weeks and playing support based only.
No. This is nonsense.

Nothing stops people playing than getting owned by a more experienced player that warps like a bee on crack over and over again.
I sort of understand where this is comming from, but no. Just...no. Care-Bears make crybabies.

I would also suggest that good players teach the news ones how to play, even as frustrating as it is, it will encourage them to want to play the game more.
Outfits from each faction could/do handle this with varying degrees of success. I'm all for being as welcoming as possible here, but come on...
Old 2014-03-10, 02:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
OpolE
Sergeant Major

How about just log on and play as normal and get shit f**ked up!

4000+ Hours of PS1
Old 2014-03-12, 10:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #58
Huntsab
Sergeant

PS1 is probably run from SOE's HQ on their fibre optic line. They will keep it open because it is a advertising investment/platform that they can then keep the PS2 haters (Hello btw) informed of future products.
Old 2014-03-13, 03:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #59
GodlessHeretic
Private

Originally Posted by Huntsab View Post
PS1 is probably run from SOE's HQ on their fibre optic line. They will keep it open because it is a advertising investment/platform that they can then keep the PS2 haters (Hello btw) informed of future products.
I don't care why they bring the server up, so long as they do. I'd like them to fix any outstanding issues with the game, but i'm not expecting anything constructive on SOE's part.

For the record, PS2 isn't a bad game. It just has nothing to do with it's namesake. If i wanted to play a Battlefield clone, i'd fire up Bad Company 2 and be done with it. I played Planetside because it was a UNIQUE experience. One that SOE has basically shat all over. So you'll forgive me for being just a little bitter.
Old 2014-03-14, 10:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #60
Taramafor
Sergeant Major

So looking forward to this. Gave PS2 a chance and don't care for it at all but this? I imagine it's much like Battlezone 2 with larger bases, maps and people (even if the base destruction is lacking). XD
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion