Vehicles are already over-powered, so... - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: go for the shins
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-05-14, 03:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Happy lil Elf
Contributor
Colonel

Ok

The reason you see the tank/vehicle as being nowhere near you and yet you still get his is lag. Either on your end or the drivers end. If your lagging badly and he sees you as standing still and runs you over, you die. If he's lagging badly and sees you as standing still and hits you, you die. Sucks but then it's also why sometims you'll be sitting there and all of a sudden a bunch of red bars appear behind you and you seem to get wasted in less than a second from an assault rifle.

Lag is an issue with this game more so than many others because combat is so lethal. It doesn't take much to kill infantry and when lag enters into the equation it takes even less sometimes.

How they can fix that I don't know, but making it so the only recourse vehicles have against infantry is their guns would really suck. Especially if you're driving an AMS or an ANT.

Its eating it's food. (Incorrect use of apostrophes specifically for UV)
"Oni wont get banned, unless you get banned. Its a 2 man ticket."-Hamma to TekDragon re: his request to ban Oni. Life is good.
Old 2003-05-14, 03:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Chryse
Corporal

Tanks are overpowered compared to what? Harassers? Basilisks? Your empire-specific heavy buggy? Of course, they're tanks! They are meant to be powerful. However, they are not that nimble (with the possible exception of the Magrider) and can be had by smart opponents in Reavers or infantry with A/V weapons.

If the concern is that vehicles run people over too easily, that's a realistic threat. I mean, if I casually stroll out onto the Interstate I should expect a rather harsh treatment from an oncoming vehicle.

Now, if the concern is that vehicles are running over people behind obstacles or are killing people without hitting them square on, that's a gameplay issue that really should be adjusted, without question. But I wouldn't call for an across-the-board vehicle adjustment.
Old 2003-05-14, 04:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Duffman
Contributor
First Lieutenant

ok here is my (from a TR point of view) idea on tanks just tanks:

1) Prowler - Make it either fast and more nimble or make the armor on it better (2 Shots from a vanguard can kill it)

2) Vanguard - Good the way it is. Im not sure what can be done to it but maybe make the gun a bit slower

3) Magrider - This thing need nerfing mad style. Not only does its main gun not arc so it can shoot down aircraft unlike the others but it is also way to fast.

For me the Magrider is the only tank i really see goin around alot. Personally i think that the Magrider needs to be nerfed or the other tanks need to be made better.
Old 2003-05-14, 04:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
2coasts
Corporal

Have any of you experienced the Sunderer comming in and owning complete basis? Not even with a full squad inside either...
Old 2003-05-14, 05:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
zannal
Private

about the motorcycle in the game what use would it serve?
there is allready a Vehicle thats only use is to ferry you from point a to be and that Vehicle is the wrath(i think thats its name). its a single seat(like a motorcycle) and is quick(motorcycle) it can also go off-road better then a motorcycle. but there is one advantage a motorcycle has ove the atv,pure style =)
Old 2003-05-14, 05:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Plato
Sergeant

Well after Beta, the devs will be looking for good ideas for content to keep people playing.

I'd love to see a motor cycle and use it to travel to battles, get out of dodge driving through the trees etc.

I also think vehicles should get disabled before they are destroyed and not explode killing anyone remotely close to it.

For example 3 guys travelling in an assault buggy like the marauder run over a mine and start to take fire. The mine immobilizes the marauder. The machine gunner lays down fire to keep the enemies heads down while the guy in the back directs is mortar-like weapon over the enemy positions also. The driver gets out and uses the marauder for cover and begins repairs of the vehicle to regain mobility before the enemy get organized and deploy an AV weapon.

Right now when a vehicle goes down to half damage the occupents bail and run madly away from the vehicle to cover. Normally the vehicle is destroyed just as they get out and they all die.

At the very least the vehicles should get destroyed but not explode and be instant death for those who just exited so they can use it for cover. That would be far more realistic to me. Maybe even allowing those still in the vehicle a chance of survival and although wounded exit the wrecked vehicle.

Last edited by Plato; 2003-05-14 at 05:27 PM.
Old 2003-05-14, 06:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
ReneG8
Corporal

Guys i dont get it.

The magrider is way the best tank. In 1vs1 situations with other tanks, it wins, mavoeverability is the key.

Owning infantery aswell, hell i drove over 50 terrans or so, never used my front gun. Its way too overpowered, it can kill MAX with one hit, or 3 shots of the turret gun.

If i were not vanu i would be scared like shit, if i see one of therse things, its way too overpowered imo, and im a vanu Tankdriver for life.
Old 2003-05-14, 07:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Deveral
Private

I have to say that I don't fear Prowlers at all and I rarely get hit by Mag's. I was in a Vangaurd the other day (I was the gunner) and I have to say that Mag's fall fast to it if they aren't smart and dodge them. Mag's have weak as hell armor against the 150mm so use mobility.I do think its unfair that Mag's run me over when I am 5 feet to the left of them and it makes it even more unfair that the driver has a gun all to himself. I think it would be good to fix that problem w/ tanks a little but I still think that Prowler drivers should get a little bigger of a bumper since they are so damn slow.
The Vanguard I have no complaint about except maybe make the main turrets on the Prowler and Vanguard do a little more damage to infantry. How do you survive a shell in the torso? I rarely even use the chain gun's on the Vanguard except when to hit Reaver's that are too hard to hit w/ the main gun. Infantry can easily avoid the rounds from the chain gun if there are tree's or if they get close so I pretty much think it's useless. I also gunned for a Vanguard during a raid on a Terran base. Those MAX's of theirs ripped through our armor quick if I didnt shoot them down. The missles from Deci's and Striker's were easy to dodge by going behind a tree or something but those MAX's....The Prowler is a nasty enemy to, atleast more than a Mag from what I have seen.
I feel that tanks in general need a bit more firepower or something to make them more feared and somehow try to make people stop using Mag's as floating rams. I don't fear tanks whenever I see one, I only fear MAX's indoors (I am a pheonix user). I wish tanks were used more, they usually can change the battle if used effectively and add a bit more action in a battle. Also tanks are great at taking out those damn zerg battles, those main guns if used right can clear fields of enemies and the bumper is perhaps the best AI weapon the tank has. If tanks and heavy buggies were used more, this would really spice up combat and perhaps make people actually fear them, not only is the Vanguard packing the biggest punch but its the tank I have seen used the most effectively (and used the most) in battles than any other tank, I still haven't seen Prowlers used effectively in combat (They are mainly used to kill people running up the stairs in tower battles). The Dev's need to find a way to get people to actually pilot them and find a way to make them feared yet not overpowered.
I think the majority of vehicles aren't used enough. The Sund is used more as a way of clearing fields than transporting infantry. The Deliever I rarely see but when I do, it's not used as a transport. Wraiths and Basilisks are used a lot for going from one hotspot to the next like they are supposed to be used. I have seen 2 Thresher's in this game, a few harassers (but most don't even have a gunner or ammo in the trunk), more enforcers than any other buggy combined but I still think they should be used more, I have seen 3 marauders EVER in this game, 3-4 Prowlers, an ok amount of Vanguards, 10 or so Mag's but mainly for battering rams, and a good amount of lightnings. I wish vehicles would be used more.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion