They nerfed the Galaxy....for better or worse. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Good thing this game isn't on Pluto.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2002-11-24, 04:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Tobias
I'm with the Vanu

They nerfed the Galaxy....for better or worse.

As many know the galaxy has been changed, 3 chain guns (20mm, light) now, and no back blind spot, also now 6 inf instead of 4. Now while more people and guns is good, well we nolonger have a ton of firepower that it once packed and all that. However now with chainguns i dont think there can be any dobt that some fool with a skeeter will get wasted attacking one (or 4 fools with skeeters for that matter, unless they ram it.) but now we dont have the powerful anti inf and tank weapons we had before. Thoughts? (other then comments about my bad grammer)
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2002-11-24, 04:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
SmokeJumper
PlanetSide Dev

Nerf? We haven't released the game yet and we're being accused of nerfing already? Sheeeeeeeeesh. You guys are tough.

Anyway, the 20mm chainguns are actually a lot better than the 75mm cannons in almost every aspect where you would be flying the Galaxy. Using the Galaxy as a mounted gun platform to shoot at tanks would probably result in you losing a battle with those same tanks. And the chainguns are better versus infantry anyway.

The 75mm cannons were just too unwieldy to use. And it looked very strange to use indirect fire weapons from an aircraft. Plus, they were totally useless against air attackers.

So we changed them. But no way was it a nerf...even if we HAD released the game already.
Old 2002-11-24, 04:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Doobz
Lieutenant Colonel

i think its good.

take a comparative look at vehicles that perform similar jobs, such heavy lift helicopters. they dont carry anti tank weapons on board. they carry rapid fire, heavy caliber weapons to provide intense supressive into the enemy to allow time for the troops to disembark (more like haul their scared-shitless asses off ). then as it prepares to leave, it continues to lay suppressive fire into the enemy to let the troops move into position instead of leaving them out in a field to get ripped to pieces. then the vehicle will sometimes hang around a little while to help provide supporting fire
Old 2002-11-24, 05:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Tobias
I'm with the Vanu

Smoky, a nerf is not always a bad thing in my opinion, for instance, i play everquest, and my main is a druid, and when anything happens to those necromancers or wizards (i cheered when manna burn was nerfed,) Im happy. And the Galaxy is proably better now cause you can get those skeeters and swat them, teach all those people that are going to try to use them as fighters. Also got rid of the blind spot so a skeeter or reaver can not sit back there and shoot us up, so this nerf was not a bad thing really, but a ok thing. The Galaxy is still king of the air.

Last edited by Tobias; 2002-11-24 at 05:03 PM.
Old 2002-11-24, 05:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Hamma
PSU Admin

I think its a bit too soon to say things have been "nerfed" considering its stage of development (beta) hehe. Personally sounds like a change for the better.. proably will be a bit more effective in defending itself air to air. I was about to post on this very subject.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2002-11-24, 05:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Tobias
I'm with the Vanu

A nerf can be bad or good, depending on ones outlook. wierd little animals, those nerfs.
Old 2002-11-24, 05:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

Oh shoot... you guys hit these forums?? Hope you dont min me cut-n-pasting your posts here... man thats a shock...

How the heck do I do this... do I cut-n-paste posts here too??? hehehehe
Old 2002-11-24, 05:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
xuur
Inventor of Dirt

dunno. I think it makes sense to change to the chainguns, but was surely looking forward to using a large ground attack aircraft as well.

perhaps they could give you an option?

Galaxy Dropship, 20mm
Galaxy Gunship, 75mm

maybe even a Galaxy Bomber?

just a thought or two
Old 2002-11-24, 05:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
sPooT
Contributor
Corporal

Even better, as smoky said, the Galaxy will now be really King of the Air It wasn't before with indirect fire...
Old 2002-11-24, 05:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Tobias
I'm with the Vanu

Bomber = Bad idea, but the choice bettween the two sounds good.
Old 2002-11-24, 05:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Noxx
Ph34r da Ph3r3t!

If your calling this a nerf, wait till they acually do nerf somthing :P
Old 2002-11-24, 05:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
xuur
Inventor of Dirt

why no bomber? not so much advocating it as I am curious.
Old 2002-11-24, 05:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Tobias
I'm with the Vanu

Of course we also now no for sure that a 75mm gun can do indirect fire, that means so can tnaks with those or better, thus if you want you can drive your tank up and bombard someone indictly, so its like artiliry, kinda.
Old 2002-11-24, 05:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Tobias
I'm with the Vanu

alowing 4 guys to get in a plane and bomb the snot outa say a colum of tanks in a game is a little too powerful i think.

Last edited by Tobias; 2002-11-25 at 08:12 AM.
Old 2002-11-24, 05:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Doobz
Lieutenant Colonel

well, bombing would be awsome, particularly useful for softening up an outpost for an assault
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion