New Outfits for Planetside - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: How often do you look up here?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 2013-03-30, 06:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Program
Sergeant
 
Program's Avatar
 
New Outfits for Planetside


So when Planetside goes F2P (being optimistic), are there going to be an entirely new group of outfits formed, or can anyone promise entire outfits to rollback? My outfit kind of fell apart after Beta, and never got a chance for good outfit play. Just a little problem that popped up in my head when I was thinking about getting to play the real Planetside for the first time.
__________________

Credit for the sig goes to Wristel
Credit for the NC Medic logo goes to Xyntech

Last edited by Hamma; 2013-04-03 at 09:06 AM.
Program is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-30, 06:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel
 
p0intman's Avatar
 
Misc Info
Re: New Outfits for Planetside


there are a ton of people that are on the 'fuck ps2' bandwagon that are simply waiting for ps1 to go free that will go back. sure, there might be a few new outfits, but there will also probably be a resurgence of oldies returning, too.
__________________

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
p0intman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-30, 11:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Program
Sergeant
 
Program's Avatar
 
Re: New Outfits for Planetside


Well said, maybe a splinter group of SuperTroopers or DevilDogs will come back and it will be like what many refer to as "the good old days." Also, apologies for the tag on the title, that was an accident.
__________________

Credit for the sig goes to Wristel
Credit for the NC Medic logo goes to Xyntech

Last edited by Program; 2013-03-30 at 11:32 PM.
Program is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 12:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel
 
p0intman's Avatar
 
Misc Info
Re: New Outfits for Planetside


Originally Posted by Program View Post
Well said, maybe a splinter group of SuperTroopers or DevilDogs will come back and it will be like what many refer to as "the good old days." Also, apologies for the tag on the title, that was an accident.
You could probably expect a good portion of ST, and PG, probably Ao1, SG, maybe some from HT and LMS. Not sure on some of those, haven't heard from a few of them in ages.
__________________

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
p0intman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 06:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
DOUBLEXBAUGH
Sergeant Major
 
Re: New Outfits for Planetside


As much as I would love PS to be populated again, I don't think there will be as many as you guys think. Yes the initial week or so will be huge and awesome, but if after a month we are able to pop lock a cont I'd be surprised.
__________________

DOUBLEXBAUGH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 06:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Leet
Private
 
Re: New Outfits for Planetside


Nice sig.

I'm still waiting, along with others I know.

Undoubtedly the pops would drop again after a month but I think there would be enough of a retention to at least have a decent nightly fight. Hell 20v20v20 would still allow for a little bit of a fight if you wanted to log in.

I'm just afraid they're going to incorporate it with PS2 and require some kind of payment. If they implement something like that, it would really deter some of the vets sitting on the sidelines. It's f2p or basically nothing.
Leet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 07:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Program
Sergeant
 
Program's Avatar
 
Re: New Outfits for Planetside


Thanks, it's from one of the guys in that outfit I mentioned, he was quite talented. As far as your latter concern, I wholeheartedly agree and hope that it just goes straight F2P, no monetization, or solely cosmetic options.
__________________

Credit for the sig goes to Wristel
Credit for the NC Medic logo goes to Xyntech
Program is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-01, 02:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel
 
p0intman's Avatar
 
Misc Info
Re: New Outfits for Planetside


if they lower the sub costs for -PS1- to 5 bucks a month, ill resub in a heartbeat. I refuse to pay a regular subscription to ps2 because it is fucking terrible.
__________________

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
p0intman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-01, 09:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
CrazEpharmacist
Staff Sergeant
 
Re: New Outfits for Planetside


Yeah 5 bucks a month is nothing. I would gladly pay that over some crappy monetization f2p scheme soe cooks up.
CrazEpharmacist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-04, 04:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General
 
Baneblade's Avatar
 
Re: New Outfits for Planetside


There is a good chance we would play PS1 as an outfit.
__________________
Post at me bro.

Baneblade is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 10:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Warborn
Contributor
Major General
 
Warborn's Avatar
 
Re: New Outfits for Planetside


Planetside 1 was a bad game ten years ago. How long will nostalgia really keep you going? Y'alls crazy.
Warborn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 12:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Program
Sergeant
 
Program's Avatar
 
Re: New Outfits for Planetside


Please, entertain me with your reasons for this statement, Warborn.
__________________

Credit for the sig goes to Wristel
Credit for the NC Medic logo goes to Xyntech
Program is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 08:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
ShockFC
Master Sergeant
 
ShockFC's Avatar
 
Re: New Outfits for Planetside


Originally Posted by Program View Post
Please, entertain me with your reasons for this statement, Warborn.
You see, what you have in front of you are two massive turds. The older one is just a bit less smelly than the most recent. However, they both fucking stink.
__________________
ShockFC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 05:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Warborn
Contributor
Major General
 
Warborn's Avatar
 
Re: New Outfits for Planetside


Planetside 2 is a much better game than Planetside 1 ever was.

Half the vehicles in Planetside 1 were shit and useless outside of gimmicks. Harassers? Threshers? ATVs? Deliverers? Deliverer variants? Sunderers? Totally pointless. Only a handful of vehicles were worth it in terms of power per player occupying the vehicle.

It pretended that it wanted vehicles to require teamwork, so MBT drivers had no guns (magrider aside), and yet the most dangerous vehicles in the game -- aircav -- were one-man vehicles. And they could fly. And they doubled as transport aircraft because you could bail from them without dying.

No resources or anything, so everything was even more pointless. Vehicle kills mattered far less in terms of depriving enemy players of the resources to get another tank or ESF, and losing territory was far less important because it carried with it minor benefits. Continent locking was just something that happened and wasn't a real metagame.

Capping bases was far less fun in PS1, because except for biolabs with the gen on the roof, they all had terrible choke points that very often turned base fights into multi-hours slogs. You'd spawn from an AMS, move 10 feet, get mowed down by 20 guys defending one 5' wide corridor, and do it over again, because the only two ways in were meatgrinders like that. If you were lucky you had a big, active outfit and maybe you could do something coordinated that'd make a difference. But if you weren't in such a group, or everyone was offline at the time, or for your average non-outfit player, it was a war of attrition a lot of the time, and got real old, real fast.

"Command" rank, which involved people spam-inviting for squads and then simply running around as per usual collecting CEP, lead to orbital strike spam after a while.

Loadouts were totally customizable, so 90% of everyone on the ground was a rexo with HA/AV, med and armor rep tools, and maybe a hacking tool, whatever it was called. Compared to PS2, where you need to pick classes and team work is necessary because everyone isn't a self-sufficient rambo (although HAs are close) it was bad. Classes > loadout tetris.

Infils in PS1 were also junk. At least in PS2 they're worth a damn and can do more than running around spawn rooms detonating boomers. Could be more for them to do in terms of hacking, similar to PS1, but it's better than either strafing people with a pistol and hoping they don't have darklight, or spamming boomers everywhere.

The list goes on. The only thing that I prefered about PS1 over PS2 is the slower pace of combat. PS1 was a terrible game and its population was always very tiny for a good reason -- people didn't enjoy playing it.

Last edited by Warborn; 2013-04-08 at 05:04 PM.
Warborn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 12:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
DOUBLEXBAUGH
Sergeant Major
 
Re: New Outfits for Planetside


Originally Posted by RedPower View Post
such a idiot
With replies like this you are proving yourself to be the bigger idiot.


Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
Planetside 2 is a much better game than Planetside 1 ever was.

Half the vehicles in Planetside 1 were shit and useless outside of gimmicks. Harassers? Threshers? ATVs? Deliverers? Deliverer variants? Sunderers? Totally pointless. Only a handful of vehicles were worth it in terms of power per player occupying the vehicle.

It pretended that it wanted vehicles to require teamwork, so MBT drivers had no guns (magrider aside), and yet the most dangerous vehicles in the game -- aircav -- were one-man vehicles. And they could fly. And they doubled as transport aircraft because you could bail from them without dying.

No resources or anything, so everything was even more pointless. Vehicle kills mattered far less in terms of depriving enemy players of the resources to get another tank or ESF, and losing territory was far less important because it carried with it minor benefits. Continent locking was just something that happened and wasn't a real metagame.

Capping bases was far less fun in PS1, because except for biolabs with the gen on the roof, they all had terrible choke points that very often turned base fights into multi-hours slogs. You'd spawn from an AMS, move 10 feet, get mowed down by 20 guys defending one 5' wide corridor, and do it over again, because the only two ways in were meatgrinders like that. If you were lucky you had a big, active outfit and maybe you could do something coordinated that'd make a difference. But if you weren't in such a group, or everyone was offline at the time, or for your average non-outfit player, it was a war of attrition a lot of the time, and got real old, real fast.

"Command" rank, which involved people spam-inviting for squads and then simply running around as per usual collecting CEP, lead to orbital strike spam after a while.

Loadouts were totally customizable, so 90% of everyone on the ground was a rexo with HA/AV, med and armor rep tools, and maybe a hacking tool, whatever it was called. Compared to PS2, where you need to pick classes and team work is necessary because everyone isn't a self-sufficient rambo (although HAs are close) it was bad. Classes > loadout tetris.

Infils in PS1 were also junk. At least in PS2 they're worth a damn and can do more than running around spawn rooms detonating boomers. Could be more for them to do in terms of hacking, similar to PS1, but it's better than either strafing people with a pistol and hoping they don't have darklight, or spamming boomers everywhere.

The list goes on. The only thing that I prefered about PS1 over PS2 is the slower pace of combat. PS1 was a terrible game and its population was always very tiny for a good reason -- people didn't enjoy playing it.
Did you play PS1 within its first 2 years? Most of what you have listed here only became problems once SOE decided to change things. After the first few updates 5 or 6 months PS1 was an amazing game until the Core Combat release that brought increased certs and cert combos.

Back when it was BR20 cap, people had to specialize and work together. You didn't have everyone running around in Rexo/HA with all the support certs just to "support" themselves. People used Sundies and Deliverers because not everyone could afford vehicles with there limited certs. Before they reduced timers and had the timer benefit, killing someones vehicle took it out of the fight for 10 minutes+ unlike PS2 where they can just go grab another one (I have yet to run out of or get low enough that I couldn't just grab another tank in PS2). Command did eventually get out of hand, but for the most part only outfit leaders and officers that actually commanded had CR5 in the early years.

As for the rest all I can say is "to each there own". While I also prefered the slower pace of combat, I disagree with you on the rest of your gameplay gripes. I preferred the custom loadouts to the classes, the ability to choose what I wanted and how much of it is a lot better than being forced to take a grenade when I'd rather have more ammo or an engy tool.

Capping bases meant more because you actually faught for them. Every single base in PS2 is like Amp stations in PS1, camp the doors with vehicles and wait out the hack. I prefer the tunnels and big rooms of PS1 to the small rooms with no protection from vehicle camping of PS2. If you only followed the zerg some bases in PS1 could get very boring, but everything from squad vs squad sized to 60 vs 60 was great.

As for infils, only reason I've played the class in PS2 is for sniping. They could do more in PS1 than they can in PS2, sure they couldn't carry as big of a gun (which is a good thing) but they could sneak in behind a big fight for gen drops and ghost hacks. Those were much bigger blows to the enemy than anything they can do in PS2.

As for the pops, online gaming as a whole was still pretty small back then, high speed internet was just starting up, and SOE didn't put a single dollar to marketing the game (something they did a decent job with this time). Pops were fine until BFRs + WoW releasing at the same time more than halved them. PS2 is doing great though right, so well infact they had to open more servers to meet the demand... oh no wait, they already merged them 4 months into its lifespan.

Whats left on that list? I could go on and on too.
__________________

DOUBLEXBAUGH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Bookmarks

Tags
muffins, planetside, planetside 1, planetside 1 free to play, planetside 1 outfits

Discord

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:59 PM.

Content © 2002-2013, PlanetSide-Universe.com, All rights reserved.
PlanetSide and the SOE logo are registered trademarks of Sony Online Entertainment Inc. © 2004 Sony Online Entertainment Inc. All rights reserved.
All other trademarks or tradenames are properties of their respective owners.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.