anti air - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where the Men are Men, and the Pulsars need Ammo
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-09-09, 11:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Madcow
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Queensidecastle
I cant support complaints about being killed by a vehicle out in the open. I think thats just ridiculous. There isnt any balance problem with the Reaver, especially considering all the downsides. I file anger over getting killed by a reaver in the same drawer I file anger over getting killed by a cloaker.
As people have said, being killed by a vehicle out in the open is a completely different matter if it's a ground vehicle. The ability to use obstructions and elevation to your advantage coupled with the ability to use a Jammer actually gives you a fighting chance. You have none of those advantages with air. There's a slight possibility of hitting a moron reaver pilot with a jammer, but that's about it. And I support the OF idea of changing it back to a jammer killing the engine in an aircraft. If you're dumb enough to hover that low to spam your cheap kills, you deserve a flaming death at the hands of a piddly grenade.
Old 2004-09-10, 12:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
KIAsan
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Madcow
And I support the OF idea of changing it back to a jammer killing the engine in an aircraft. If you're dumb enough to hover that low to spam your cheap kills, you deserve a flaming death at the hands of a piddly grenade.
Now that's a solution we could all live with. Make it so your engine dies if jammered! What a brilliantly simple way of fixing the ground troops frustration, while not unbalancing the game. You want to kill ground troops, then make sure you don't get to low or slow.

I would personnaly like to see the AV damaged upped against armor (enough that it's a serious threat to air assets without seriously affecting ground armor). That would also ensure aircraft didn't slow down in combat.

If it's not nailed down, it's mine. If I can pry it up, it's not nailed down.
Old 2004-09-10, 01:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Cauldron Borne
Captain

The AA damage can be increaced seperatly from the AV damage, that's how they work AA MAXes. SO: just buff the AA on the AV weapons a bit. And if yer gonna make Jammers disable planes, what about EMP? will it disable planes, too? do you get the kill if you disable a plane and the pilot dies?

Maybe we could make jammers fire straight when fired out of punishers, and instead of them being thumper ammo, they can be Rocklet ammo. They won't have the range, or the area effect of rocklet rockets, or the area of a thrown jammer, but would be faster and more accurate. Wadda ya'll think?

SPAM SONG! (Yes, it DOES exist kiddies.)
Old 2004-09-10, 06:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

The idea of jammer grenades disabling reaver engines is strangely appealing
Old 2004-09-10, 09:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Queensidecastle
Contributor
Major

Jammer grenades dont keep you from getting run over and not a lot of people carry them. If your out in the open and jam a tank (provided it didnt already blast you from beyond your grenade range) your going to get run over. 9 times out of 10 your not going to escape unless there is a battle in the area. Also, I have jumped out of a vehicle many times to kill grunts and hopped back in.

The only real defense for a grunt against vehicles is AV. Even this isnt so great because you dont have the damage output to destroy vehicles solo, but lancers and strikers can and do scare away reavers or outright destroy them. No matter what the situation any vehicle has a huge advantage against you especially the tech vehicles. I think the reaver does its job just fine

This issue is way overstated and one I do not sympathize with

Now I can support arguments for Reavers to do more AV damage but as it is, it takes a whole clip to kill a rexo and most of the time 2 clips to take out a MAX. I could perhaps go along with a slight rocket damage nerf to infantry targets as long as it would do more damage to vehicles but they would need to buff the chaingun against infantry at that point.
Old 2004-09-10, 09:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

Personally I'd prefer if the reaver became a AV platform but people obviously like its role as an all-rounder far better.

And actually, most of the times when I jam a tank I don't get run over.... in fact I rarely get run over come to think of it.
Old 2004-09-10, 09:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Queensidecastle
Jammer grenades dont keep you from getting run over and not a lot of people carry them. If your out in the open and jam a tank (provided it didnt already blast you from beyond your grenade range) your going to get run over. 9 times out of 10 your not going to escape unless there is a battle in the area. Also, I have jumped out of a vehicle many times to kill grunts and hopped back in.
Getting overrun by a ground vehicle isn't automatically fatal, and even then, a lot of the time you can just duck behind cover and you don't need to worry about it. It is FAR easier to stay alive against a ground vehicle that it is against a reaver. You'd need to spend more time as a grunt to appreciate this fact (and playing a cloaker doesn't count as being a grunt).

The only real defense for a grunt against vehicles is AV. Even this isnt so great because you dont have the damage output to destroy vehicles solo, but lancers and strikers can and do scare away reavers or outright destroy them. No matter what the situation any vehicle has a huge advantage against you especially the tech vehicles. I think the reaver does its job just fine
Lancers and strikers only scare away aircraft if they aren't gunning for you. If they are, 9 times out of 10 they will blow you away (taking maybe one or two hits in the process) and then go off to an air pad to repair if they need it.

As for the reaver doing its job fine, what job is that? Killing everything in the game unless it's overwhelmed with AA? Yeah, it does that job great. Too bad its job encompasses the job of pretty much every other vehicle, too, but then, I don't think the developers seriously wany more than 1/4th of their vehicles to be seriously used in combat, because with how ubiquitous the reaver and tank both are, there's no reason to bring much else.
Old 2004-09-10, 09:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Batousai
Staff Sergeant

Heres a reply to end all the talk about reaver spam and the reaver being overpowered.

Im a reaver pliot and yes i love to pick on lone soldiers who are stupid enough to get cought out in the open all by their self. Now Planetside is a Teamwork type of game were you need what "Teamwork" to do anything in the game even if its just useless ZERGing. I have yet to be killed by a lone soldier while im in my reaver. why because i have common sense on my side. Now i have been killed by a group of soldier using AV weapons because they used common sense to there advantage. Now everyone wants to complain about the Reaver being overpowered because it can kill infantry in one salvo of rockets. Now people think of what i just said. A salvo of rockets on a soft target like a infantryman should kill. I dont care if he does have on rexo armor or boxers hes dead if you get hit with the rocket spam of a reaver. I dont think the Iraqis in operation desert storm were screaming Nerf the Apache all because it was a bringer of death. If you want to kill something like a tank or reaver use what "teamwork". If a striker or phoenix missile could kill a reaver in one shot the game wouldn't be any fun at all. Hell in real life a infantry missle can't kill a tank or plane but if would do a heck of alot of damage. So for all you babie out there whining

Edit: Just in case any of you are wondering, yes i have been on the business end of a reaver plenty of times and when i get killed i blame my self not the pliot who was doing his job.

Last edited by Batousai; 2004-09-10 at 09:52 AM.
Old 2004-09-10, 11:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Ivan
Contributor
teh Sexb0t

But the point is this is a game and not real life. I'd take balance over realism any day. If you want to be realistic. One shot wither it's from a suppresser for a jack hammer is going to kill you.
Violated by ChiaHamma
Old 2004-09-10, 11:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Madcow
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Batousai
Heres a reply to end all the talk about reaver spam and the reaver being overpowered.

Im a reaver pliot and yes i love to pick on lone soldiers who are stupid enough to get cought out in the open all by their self. Now Planetside is a Teamwork type of game were you need what "Teamwork" to do anything in the game even if its just useless ZERGing. I have yet to be killed by a lone soldier while im in my reaver. why because i have common sense on my side. Now i have been killed by a group of soldier using AV weapons because they used common sense to there advantage. Now everyone wants to complain about the Reaver being overpowered because it can kill infantry in one salvo of rockets. Now people think of what i just said. A salvo of rockets on a soft target like a infantryman should kill. I dont care if he does have on rexo armor or boxers hes dead if you get hit with the rocket spam of a reaver. I dont think the Iraqis in operation desert storm were screaming Nerf the Apache all because it was a bringer of death. If you want to kill something like a tank or reaver use what "teamwork". If a striker or phoenix missile could kill a reaver in one shot the game wouldn't be any fun at all. Hell in real life a infantry missle can't kill a tank or plane but if would do a heck of alot of damage. So for all you babie out there whining

Edit: Just in case any of you are wondering, yes i have been on the business end of a reaver plenty of times and when i get killed i blame my self not the pliot who was doing his job.
To end all the talk? Not only are you too full of yourself, you're completely wrong. I'm gonna fire a Decimator type missile at your head in real life, okay? Since we're concerned with the realism of Planetside, I'm sure that it can't do more than slight damage to you. No way would it reduce you to a smoking pair of sneakers, right? If you're not up for that, how about I drive a tank slowly over you? Since I'm doing it slowly, it should barely take off some of your armor and then you can go running off okay?
Realism and Planetside are exclusive of each other. The main point of Planetside is 'fun' and there are plenty of fun things to do in a Reaver. Some of them even involve skill, although rocket spamming isn't included in that bunch. Being on the receiving end of yet another skill-less tool with the air cav cert is less fun. That's the point people are making. AV is a pathetic excuse against air (except for the Striker and even that's currently bugged) so that's no answer. Plus, since the Sparrow and Starfire are currently bugged air is more prominent so we're all getting more of a chance to watch spamming tools on a consistent basis. It sucks, and isn't fun. Now if you made it require some modicum of skill to kill ground troops using a Reaver I might feel differently. Unfortunately, that's not a requirement in the least.

As with everything else, they should be encouraging more use of skill in Planetside, not discouraging it.
Old 2004-09-10, 12:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Queensidecastle
Contributor
Major

It is FAR easier to stay alive against a ground vehicle that it is against a reaver. You'd need to spend more time as a grunt to appreciate this fact (and playing a cloaker doesn't count as being a grunt).
I would agree that it is easier to survive an attack by a land vehicle but I certainly wouldnt agree that it is FAR easier. As far as my time playing as a grunt, you might want to check my sig before you make assumptions like that
Old 2004-09-10, 12:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Batousai
Staff Sergeant

im not asking for realism im asking for common sense. There is a Big differnce between the two.

Common sense will tell you if you got hit with 8 missles in a row your going to die. reguardless of balance.

Balance would tell you if you got hit with 8 missles in a row you would still survive but if you took those same missles and hit a tank 8 times in a row they'ed be toast.

Does anyone esle feel alittle disturbed by this at all. Beside you need to get a AA max or skyguard and have fun in a target rich enviroment which is Reaver airspace.

P.S. My reaver doesn't need to be nerfed you need to get better.
Old 2004-09-10, 12:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

The only MAX that has any chance to have fun every time it is in reaver airspace is the Starfire. "Missile Lock" and getting hit by light flak is synonymous with "hit afterburner button". Starfire gets away with the missile lock warning because it doesn't have a 2 second locking delay like the sparrow.

Last edited by Lartnev; 2004-09-10 at 02:41 PM.
Old 2004-09-10, 01:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Queensidecastle
Contributor
Major

I have played with all of the AA MAXs extensively. Each one has its merits and each one has downsides. The Burster is so deadly that you can bring down aircraft before they have any clue what is happening. However high altitude targets are just not an option sometimes and it is basically usless when not locked down. Additionally, it is weaker than any other AA MAX when defending itself from infantry. Nothing does more damage and is more impossible to escape from at close quarters than the Starfire Max. At longer ranges it is extremely effective as well but suffers a bit at keeping tracking. It has the supreme advantage of being able to hide in trees and jetpack away from reavers. The Sparrow excells and is perhaps the most difficult max suit to fly against IMO. Its missles cause the pilot to do more than just break the lock. They must actually outrun or cause the missle to hit something. The Sparrow has the lowest TTK but makes up for this since it chases planes FAR away
Old 2004-09-10, 01:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Raige
Sergeant

AA Needs to be nerfed! NO COMMENT!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion