For the CR5's on here - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Please see Dean Hamma after class.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-11-21, 01:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
TeraHertz
Major

Originally Posted by sutserikeru
cuz if you dont have experiance in the feilds, then you shouldnt be leading people...
Precisley.
And yes, I know it may seem hipcritical of me to say that since I'm CR1, but I became squad leader by default when the actual SL crashed out. No-one else wanted the position, and after 3 or 4 3000 point hacks I hit CR1. Shortly after the SL returned and I relinquished command.
Old 2003-11-21, 02:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Rarzo
Sergeant

I would only want to be a high CR because of the Orbital Strike. I think its ok to be CR1 or 2 at a low level. You dont really lead people that often...
Old 2003-11-21, 03:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
NoSurrender
Contributor
Colonel

im currently trying to get Cr4 and onto cr5 but it will be awile since im helping people get to cr5. im cr3 atm and have 1 and a 1/2 boxes ful.

Thanks to Eine for my awesome sig
Old 2003-11-21, 04:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Jagd
Major

Most players should at least try and get to CR1 sometime in the middle of their careers, so that in a pinch they can get a squad going and at least drop some waypoints.
Old 2003-11-21, 04:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
VashTheStamped
Major

Misc Info

i dont even WANT to know how many hours ive wasted getting CR5

but it was worth it
Old 2003-11-21, 04:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by sutserikeru
cuz if you dont have experiance in the feilds, then you shouldnt be leading people...
I'm sort of well-known for my flagrant, obnoxious disregard, distaste, and disrespect for CR5s. So when I see this comment, it makes me laugh.

Because there are CR5s who shouldn't be leading *DESPITE* having "experience in the fields".

I'll put it to you this way. It isn't penis envy. I have little aspirations of leading a squad to glory for as much as I would have to [lead] in order to earn CR5. I suppose had I not spent some time on a combat deployment, I might actually be there. If I even cared, which I can't remember having done so.

But the fact of the matter is, to me- being CR5 means absolute-zero. It means you can use Global and call down super-dooper neatoh orbital strikes. Yay. Does it make you a Planetside God for your empire? Nope. And don't expect me to pay any attention to it, either.

In real life, I am the same way. Just because some assclown is wearing sergeant's stripes... or carrying a lieutenant's bar on their shoulder... does NOT make them a leader, it does NOT make them special, and they are NOT God's gift to the service. It does mean that I have to respect the rank and the duty position, but that's about it- and ONLY because I would face disciplinary action for disrespecting it. IE, fear of the law creating law-abiding citizens. In game, none of those jackasses sign my paycheck so "Meh..."

I define a leader as someone who can motivate (not order, pull rank, or "request") people to accomplish a mission or complete an objective or task. I define a leader as someone who gets the job done because he or she can convince people that it's a good idea. I define a GOOD leader as someone who is right there on the front lines with their troops, taking rounds and being in danger (virtual of course) just like the ground-pounders. That same GOOD leader is also leading by example, not by Global Chat and Waypoints. That same GOOD leader sets the example, so that his troops and all around him are inspired and motivated. And since the CR5s I despise I have PERSONALLY seen holed up in a bunker outside a friendly base, that further reinforces my belief that most of these armchair generals couldn't lead an army of braindead lemmings.

Then there's the subconscious reason that I think I just realized: have any of these dudes done this for real? Can they measure up with the GOOD leaders that I know personally?
Old 2003-11-21, 05:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
ghost018

The game came out on May 20th I think, right? I got CR5 sometime late June, so about a month. Both CR1 and CR2 took me a day to get, CR3 took three more, and CR4 took a week. Four to five took about three weeks.

ghost

Last edited by ghost018; 2003-11-22 at 12:31 AM.

Old 2003-11-21, 11:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
BDMJ
First Sergeant

As much as I dislike some of your other posts firefly, you make some good points in this one. Most notably:

I define a leader as someone who can motivate (not order, pull rank, or "request") people to accomplish a mission or complete an objective or task. I define a leader as someone who gets the job done because he or she can convince people that it's a good idea.
A good definition of a leader. Someone who just tosses orders around is just an idiot with a megaphone. Having the "right" order and getting someone to do it are two very different things. I have to defend the cr5s a bit too though. After a continental broadcast, if you expect to answer all the tells you recieve then you will be out of the fighting for some time. Motivation is easier if you respond to people individually, so answering the tells is necessary. A bunker outside of a friendly base is a good spot to do that so the tells are quickly answered, and you can re-enter the fight.
Old 2003-11-22, 12:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Veteran
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

PlanetSide is a game, obviously, and a lot of rules regarding real-life command don't apply.

In real life,

1: Everyone in the squad woke up at the same time, or has been awake equally way too long. In PlanetSide, some people are fresh and rearing to go, some people have been playing for six hours, and some should have gone to bed six hours ago. A good commander knows that you can't set the energy level too high without stressing a good chunk of your squad.

2: In real life, you can put a derelict soldier on report, kick his ass, frag him, or court martial him. In PlanetSide, there are no punitive options. A good commander doesn't antagonize his squad.

3: In real life, people stick together. They bang and sweep rooms, secure corridors, lay down cover fire, etc. In PlanetSide, people are almost always split up. A good commander tries to bring his squad together, when necessary, and lets them do their own thing when it's clear that its best to do so.

4: In real life, insubordination is dealt with swiftly and harshly. In PlanetSide, cr5s are verbally abused and derided almost constantly by people who think they know better how to command, by people who are resentful that they are not cr5, or by people who are just plain assholes.

There are way more random elements in PS than in real life. Soldiers don't encounter bugged doors in real life, they don't shoot at teleporting soldiers (not yet at any rate) and they never deal with infantry that can run 42kph. They also don't have soldiers appear out of nowhere or jump out of a jet and fire a chaingun at them while they drift to the ground. Real life is actually a lot less random, so give your PlanetSide commanders credit for working in a very chaotic environment.

"Blessed are those who Hunger and Thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied." - Jesus Christ

PlanetSide player, retired
Old 2003-11-22, 12:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by BDMJ
As much as I dislike some of your other posts firefly
Awwww, why don't you like some of my other posts?
Old 2003-11-22, 01:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by delta
It took me about 2 and a half weeks from CR0 to CR5.
You mean months right?
Old 2003-11-22, 09:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
VashTheStamped
Major

Misc Info

i hope so = /
Old 2003-11-22, 12:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
BDMJ
First Sergeant

Awwww, why don't you like some of my other posts?
I disliked some of your other posts because your forum personality and posting style are rude.
Old 2003-11-22, 02:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
JetRaiden
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by DAKOTA
2 months from cr0 to cr5. had a lot of good base caps in the begining.

get a life. or at least go outside, to see what trees look like.
Old 2003-11-22, 03:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by BDMJ
I disliked some of your other posts because your forum personality and posting style are rude.
Great. That's precisely the way I am in real life. I don't tell people what they want to hear. I'm blunt and outspoken normally- if something is screwed up, don't ask me to say it's awesome. Some people persist in being intellectually challenged, and occasionally a jolt of Beastly Rudeness can jar them back to the common sensical side of life. Teaching people to tread water in the deep end of the gene pool is not a crime, but floundering in the shallow end definitely is a travesty against humanity. While it makes for great amusement, it's also sad to see that some people persist in being simple-minded idiots with no grasp of reality.

I don't believe in pleasantly polite people like Miss Lippy. Those kinds of people are generally hiding the fact that they're sociopathic megalomaniacal murderers with an Invincibility complex. Either that, or they're indecisive spineless doormats that let people wipe their shitty boots all over their nice Sunday Meetings clothes. You can always rely on an honest assessment from me- if you ask me if the dress makes you look fat, you better be prepared to hear that yes, darling, you look like a beached whale and might I suggest an outfit that isn't fifty sizes too small. While some things are better off left unsaid, if you ASK for it then you're going to get it.

You at least always know where you stand with me. I don't "pretend" to like someone and then shit-talk them behind their back. If I feel that discretion is warranted then I just keep my mouth shut and give them professional, polite courtesy that is tinged with a slight edge of "I think you're a prick" undertones. That's who I am, and it makes me Me.

Either that or I have a sick sense of humor and find it twistedly amusing.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion