Godlike Computer Help - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I'm still trying to figure out why kamikaze pilots wore helmets.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2004-04-07, 02:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Disconnections
Private

Godlike Computer Help

Hi everyone i'm new to the forums here but ive been reading the tech forums at my school for a long time now snice its unblocked. I own and i'm on a mac and thus the name: Disconnections I really want a new computer to play the following games: Planetside, Command and Conquer Generals, Doom 3, and hopefully any other cool game coming out soon or sometime this year.

At first I was planning to buy the parts to build a computer from newegg.com and build it myself. But but my parnets told me they would pay for the difference if I bought a pre-built system. So after reading the recommadtions from older threads I looked at Falcon-Northwest and Alienware

I compared the intel to the AMD and I found that the exterme edition 3.4ghz p4 is what im looking for so I bought an alienware...... that was as big of a mistake as owning a mac. Does anyone know were I could get a pre-built computer with a p4 3.2 ghz or 3.4 ghz exterme edition p4 other then alienware?
Old 2004-04-07, 02:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Disconnections
Private

I forgot to metion in case your wondering I did not get my aleinware comp yet..... I really want to cancel my order to them but at this point I might as well get a prebuilt if my parnets are welling to pay the differnce to do that instead of buying it from newegg.com which would cost a little over 2,330.50 $$
Old 2004-04-07, 02:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Disconnections
Private

honestly I would appreciate all of your input on why you think intel's suck it was not my intension to flame or put you down I just wanted you to explain yourself even tho it has nothing to do with the thread. no offense man just dont say intel sucks and leave it at that
Old 2004-04-07, 03:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Ok, i am unclear as to what you want us to do, forget those happended

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-04-07, 03:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Disconnections
Private

Hey Rbstr can you help me out? I was wondering if there is any other companys that build computers with the intel p4 exterme edition 3.2ghz or 3.4ghz? any company other then alienware.
Old 2004-04-07, 03:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

thse guys have em http://www.falcon-nw.com/
i think dell deos but I woudl never recomend a dell
the 3.4gh EE's are new so not many are around yet. Personaly if your gooing for EE price i woudl get an Athlon 64 FX-53. intel is goign though a socket change very soon too, if you want to wait a bit

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-04-07, 03:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Disconnections
Private

Thanks for all the help i'll give falcon nw a call to see how fast I might be able to get one. I didnt want to build my own computer unless I had to. My cousin got an area 51 laptop as a graduation present but he never got it untill 6 months later I didnt know this until after I already ordered my computer and they're doing the same thing to me: delaying the order 3 weeks every week. Even tho they prosimed "9 days" for it to be built and shipped out so i'm getting desperate for someone else who I can rely on to live up to their promisses.
Old 2004-04-07, 03:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Disconnections
Private

As for the socket change? what do you mean?
I know asus is changing things around for new ram hopely by this summer. Does intel or AMD have plans to make changes to?
Old 2004-04-07, 04:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
DeadTeddy
Sergeant Major

it means you won't be able to upgrade your CPU unless you buy a new motherboard.
I strongly suggest buying from newegg, because I don't trust anything I don't build myself. only thing you get from buying pre built is tech support. you can save that 1k and use it if you ever need to by calling a tech guy for like 100$
Old 2004-04-07, 07:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
smccord313
Private

I've looked at a lot of different computer companies, and the one I eventually decided on was ABS. I ordered a computer from them that had the same stuff in it as a highend system from Alienware or Falcon for over $700 less. I priced it on all three sites.

No, ABS will not save you as much as building it yourself. But if you don't know how to build a computer yourself or think you will screw something up, this is the best way to go.

ABS has Extreme Editions as well, but I would go with the FX-53 if money is no object. The socket change is coming soon for Intel proccessors, and with the current mobos out, the FX-53 tops the EE in almost every game.

Personally, if you're paying for this yourself, I don't think either one is worth it. You can get a P4 3.4C (or E) or an Athlon 64 3400+ for about a third of the cost of the FX-53 or 3.4EE. You will get performance that is not too far off the mark of these high-end proccessors as well.

So if I were you, I'd do yourself a favor and save some money by ordering your system from ABS and putting an Athlon 64 3400+ or a P4 3.4C (or E) in it. Add a 9800pro (or XT, if you wanna spend the extra money) and a gig of RAM, and you've got a computer that will shread just about any game out there at a constant 60fps.

But it's up to you. If money is no object and you've got a ton to blow with nothing better to spend it on, and you want the absolute fastest rig you can buy, go ahead and order the P4EE or FX-53 system from Falcon. But IMO, it isn't worth the hundreds, or maybe even a thousand or more extra you will pay.

StrikerTek
Planetside KAAOS
Old 2004-04-07, 09:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

/agreed

Old 2004-04-07, 09:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
NoSurrender
Contributor
Colonel

www.ibuypower.com is good too. not the fanciest but, very competitive prices. ABS is a good company. a old renengade buddy of mine got his from there and he loved it when it was fast. (that was like 4 years ago so )

Thanks to Eine for my awesome sig
Old 2004-04-07, 10:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Cyanide
Major

think dell deos but I woudl never recomend a dell
the 3.4gh EE's are new so not many are around yet. Personaly if your gooing for EE price i woudl get an Athlon 64 FX-53. intel is goign though a socket change very soon too, if you want to wait a bit
I thought AMD was changing to socket 939 shortly too. If I were you, I'd wait until motherboards with PCI Express cards start shipping, because if you get a PC now, you're going to need a new motherboard in 10 - 18 months when you will be looking for a new videocard again. This time of year is not the best time to be buying a high end system. Lots of companies role out new stuff in the early summer to early fall. I would definately wait a while if I were you.

If you absolutely can't wait for the new stuff to come out. I would recommend an Athlon64 over a P4 anything. MS's new OS will be 64 bit, and a lot of major game developers are developing their next generation engines for 64 bit processors. When that happens, your 64 bit AMD will smoke a P4 extreme edition.

In addition to Falcon NW you might want to check out Polywell.com too. They aren't as popular as Falcon but they're definately just as good.
Old 2004-04-07, 10:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Ait'al
Contributor
General

Do any prebuilts put in enough cooling for the 3.4 prescotts?

i thought AMD was still continuing there old sockets though. It should just be there highest processor line or two(i think there were 2 plus a workstation proccessor.) that will have the 939.

Edit: I know its huge. im on 1920x1440, i dont notice it as much. I have to change it to my new comp stats too.

Last edited by Ait'al; 2004-04-07 at 10:11 PM.
Old 2004-04-07, 10:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Cyanide
Major

Originally Posted by Ait'al
Do any prebuilts put in enough cooling for the 3.4 prescotts?
Yes. And your sig is obnoxiously huge.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum