Improvement: Give me wings! - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Home of the homeless quotes!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-01-30, 09:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

Give me wings!

Wide, beautiful wings!

Are these seriously going to be our fighters?

http://www-cdn.planetside2.com/uploa...61.jpg?v=106.4

They look more like attack copters than nimble fighters.

Wings have been the symbol of freedom and agility for humans for several thousand years and yet the art designers couldn't create one set of vehicles that had a set of proper wings on it?

I know I am being petty but come on. Flying isn't fun without awesome wings to go with it.
Old 2012-01-30, 10:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Zulthus
Colonel

Re: Give me wings!

Since you've never played PS1, I'll just assume that you don't know the fighters are VTOL. Therefore there is absolutely no need for wide wings and they look amazing and perfect the way they are.
Old 2012-01-30, 11:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Sirisian
Colonel

They are basically a mix between fighters and attack choppers in that they are VTOL with ground rockets.

On that note it would have been cool to see a transition animation with wings when using afterburners. Having the wings contract for instance.
Old 2012-01-30, 11:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Zulthus
Colonel

IF the aircraft did have wings, and they contracted during an afterburn, they would drop like a bag of bricks. There's no lift.
Old 2012-01-31, 09:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

I agree with the OP, they really don't look like fighters. The Covenant phantom one looks alright because at least it's aerodynamic, but the others are too bulky. They really should have been designed to look like fighters rather than... well, whatever they're supposed to look like. Helicopters of the future I guess? I don't know.
And them being VTOL doesn't make any difference. Nobody cares about the physics of fictional airplanes.

Last edited by Warborn; 2012-01-31 at 09:40 AM.
Old 2012-01-31, 11:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
IF the aircraft did have wings, and they contracted during an afterburn, they would drop like a bag of bricks. There's no lift.
Lifting body. At higher speeds large wings may not be nessecary.
If that isn't sufficient *insert scifi technobabble here*
Old 2012-01-31, 02:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

Maybe(hopefully) they'll implement a high speed, high altitude air to air fighter in the future with awesome wings.
Old 2012-01-31, 02:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Well all vehicles get a performance upgrade slot, so probably there'll be a +max speed upgrade for the fighters and maybe an afterburner utility upgrade as well to make them even faster. They could slap some wings on it when you add the upgrade without much trouble I'd imagine. Either way these vehicles will presumably be the air-to-air fighters themselves, right? I mean they get air-to-air rockets and they're pretty fast.
Old 2012-01-31, 02:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

Honestly, that'd be fine.

If the have a good winged customization that increases speed and gives air to air missiles as opposed to air to ground(Or whatever) then that'd be fine.
Old 2012-01-31, 02:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Well the wing aspect is just a potential thing they could fit in somewhere, but yeah, fighters will have air-to-air missiles and I imagine their performance upgrades would include top speed. Whether there's any actual model change to fighters that would affect the wings themselves I have no idea.
Old 2012-02-02, 09:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
LongBow
Sergeant

these aircraft use Newtons Laws (giant downward thrusters) to take off, and then cheat in full flight as they show no sign of being able to generate lift in flight (except maybe the new scythe)

(aside, this physics nut supports nonsensical design and ignoring science on grounds of cool)

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
(I am assuming you mean fold back or shrink, not simply disappear)

short:
no ... faster you go, better a wing works!

-------------------------------------------

long:

no, a wing generates lift by creating a pressure difference, this works just like when you hold a vacuum cleaner on your hand even if you let go the force applied by the atmospheric air pressure is greater than the force applied by gravity and thus lift occurs!

This difference is made by...

...good enough for schools (and the air force):
In the case of a wing the pressure difference is made by air moving faster over the top of the wing creating an area of reduced density.
(same amount of air, bigger area to fill)
the low pressure creates a vacuum (like the "vacuum" of space) pulling the aircraft upwards!

...For Science!
http://iopscience.iop.org/0031-9120/.../pe3_6_001.pdf

because airflow over the wing makes the lift, the faster you move the more lift you get, no airflow - no lift ... (that's why planes need runways to take off!)
Old 2012-02-02, 11:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I want wings for a different reason. HALO glide drops anyone?
Old 2012-02-02, 01:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

double post i guess wat

Last edited by Warborn; 2012-02-02 at 01:38 PM.
Old 2012-02-02, 01:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by LongBow View Post
Please continue by describing how the laws of physics affect nano-technologically created vehicles which have been constructed using alien technology. Furthermore, please discuss how the characteristics of the planet Auraxis (id est, gravity, atmospheric composition, magnetic properties) will impact the performance of these aircraft. Include all of your work for full marks.

Addendum: Please review the following educational material before making your final submission.

Last edited by Warborn; 2012-02-02 at 01:39 PM.
Old 2012-02-12, 06:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Cosmical
Contributor
Cosmic Comics

My theory is as you unlock more weapons your wingspan will get longer, and we will all end up with 50 foot long albatros wing spans. So dont worry.

Although i would say, that the Mosquito was supposed to be the flimsy recon vehicle of the first game, and it seems to retained that image. Which is a shame compared to the baddass looking Reaver, and the even more amazing Scythe. The mosquito is looking a little Dorky in comparison, even with its Red and Black paint job.

I remember thinking in the original trailer. Oh look, a Pod of Gay whales are coming to say Hi. Rather than AIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! DEATH FROM ABOVE!!

Last edited by Cosmical; 2012-02-12 at 06:34 PM.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault