tracking device - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Has a small network.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-04-09, 12:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
aleksandrgrc
Corporal

tracking device

tracking device for infiltrators to shoot onto key players or vehicles. allow your teammates to intercept or ambush a galaxy u seen spawn.
Old 2012-04-09, 11:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
PlaceboCyanide
Staff Sergeant

Re: tracking device

I like the idea. There should be an indicator for whomever is to be targeted, however. A very small red blinking light or unique sound when it hits. That way the person who is being tracked has some way of counteracting the tracking device. Either through destroying it or by purposefully taking that MBT that is being tracked out of formation to mislead the enemy.
Old 2012-04-09, 01:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
aleksandrgrc
Corporal

i would love to have my ambush party be slaughtered because someone stopped at the last second before an attack and seen the little blinking light. and instead of emp'ing the thing, they use it against us.
Old 2012-04-09, 10:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Chinchy
Staff Sergeant

this post is 10% win 90% Chuck Norris.
Old 2012-04-09, 10:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Raka Maru
Major

Originally Posted by PlaceboCyanide View Post
I like the idea. There should be an indicator for whomever is to be targeted, however. A very small red blinking light or unique sound when it hits. That way the person who is being tracked has some way of counteracting the tracking device. Either through destroying it or by purposefully taking that MBT that is being tracked out of formation to mislead the enemy.
I doubt any engie would make a tracking device that beeps to alert the target. Perhaps a bug sweeper device that checks every 10 seconds for any bugs in an area would be more believable.
Old 2012-04-10, 07:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
PlaceboCyanide
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Raka Maru View Post
I doubt any engie would make a tracking device that beeps to alert the target. Perhaps a bug sweeper device that checks every 10 seconds for any bugs in an area would be more believable.
believability? this is Sci-Fi, the home of suspension of disbelief. Look at every hollywood explosive device, 99% of them have a digital timer to let the good guy know how long he has till he can cut the cord so it lands at 0:02. Balance & Fun > Lore & Believability. A sweeper device means that the tracking device would be worthless after 10 seconds, because then it would be detected.

If the tracking device is designed in such a way that it necessitates that the player notice it, and not some gameplay element doing it for them, then it has the possibility of actually being useful.
Old 2012-04-10, 11:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Raka Maru
Major

I meant a certed bug sweeper. If he doesn't have it then he won't see it.

Don't get me wrong Placebo, I'm totally for it. I have/design lots of gadgets IRL and just trying to make sense of it.

Last edited by Raka Maru; 2012-04-10 at 11:32 AM.
Old 2012-04-10, 12:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
PlaceboCyanide
Staff Sergeant

Ahh ok, that's much easier to understand- that would also be a good way to handle it. I'm reminded of the Darklight implant in PS1. I still think it would work best if it needed to be "found" by the player as opposed to a HUD element going "oh by the way- the enemy slipped this in your jockstrap".
Old 2012-04-11, 05:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
moosepoop
Captain

i think this can be combined with spotting to prevent spot spam.

so you need a designator device to spot enemy squads, which would give stealth class a new reconaissance role.

i also like the idea of calling out priority targets, weak points in enemy formation, marking for air support, etc.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault