Medical Applicator Range Cert - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: That red alert? Oh its nothing, I swear
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-06-28, 10:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Accuser
Sergeant Major

Medical Applicator Range Cert

From the E3 video, I believe the Medical Applicator works the way it did in PS1... point-blank healing only. There is nothing I would like to see more in PS2 than a cert which extends the range of the Medical Applicator to something between 10 and 30 meters. I love healing classes, and having a ranged heal in an MMOFPS *cough*likeFirefallhas*cough* would be glorious.
Old 2012-06-28, 11:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
OutlawDr
Contributor
First Sergeant

Re: Medical Applicator Range Cert

You sure? I remember seeing in E3 videos that it had a bit of range on it..in the 5 meters range.

10-30 meters is a bit much. 5-10 meters maybe, but thats assuming it already doens't have this range.

Last edited by OutlawDr; 2012-06-28 at 11:15 PM.
Old 2012-06-29, 04:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Cuross
Master Sergeant

So far as I can tell from PS1 is that the MedApp had a rather decent range (1-2 meters) which is significant in a fast paced FPS. Five meters I would like to see as a maximum possible range (that's still more than 15 ft) before we decide if it's too far. Not to mention that Medics will already have an AoE pulse heal which is going to be awesome ^^
Old 2012-06-29, 06:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Accuser
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by OutlawDr View Post
You sure? I remember seeing in E3 videos that it had a bit of range on it..in the 5 meters range.

10-30 meters is a bit much. 5-10 meters maybe, but thats assuming it already doens't have this range.
30 meters is probably too far... But 5 meters is basically point-blank, as I'm sure the AoE heal will be. 10-15 meters would probably "feel" like a ranged heal and that's what I'll be hoping for!
Old 2012-06-29, 02:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
OutlawDr
Contributor
First Sergeant

5 meters ~ 16 feet..(in case you are American)
Thats the entire width of most rooms in a house..
15 meters ~ 50 feet
This creates a completely different type of gameplay then what is intended imo.
The gameplay short range healing creates is one of medics needing to stay close by, but, by being so close to the action, they risk being targeted by opposition force to shut down their healing. So medics both protects and needs to be protected. Longer ranges would destroy this interplay, and encourages disconnected medics snipe-healing from safety.

Last edited by OutlawDr; 2012-06-29 at 02:15 PM.
Old 2012-06-30, 02:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Accuser
Sergeant Major

5 meters ~ 16 feet..(in case you are American)
Thats the entire width of most rooms in a house..
15 meters ~ 50 feet
This creates a completely different type of gameplay then what is intended imo.
The gameplay short range healing creates is one of medics needing to stay close by, but, by being so close to the action, they risk being targeted by opposition force to shut down their healing. So medics both protects and needs to be protected. Longer ranges would destroy this interplay, and encourages disconnected medics snipe-healing from safety.
That depends on how you want the medic gameplay to work. There are games that have very long range healing, and most have short range AoE only. That AoE usually ends up being in a 3-5m radius as it is. Giving a Medical Applicator a range of 10m or 15m (at the cost of power, probably) would just change the system a bit. It would make flanking a more valuable tactic for attackers. But more importantly, it would allow people who play medics to enjoy some of the "healer" gameplay seen in RPGs. And I would savor every second of that!
Old 2012-06-30, 02:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
OutlawDr
Contributor
First Sergeant

Im not sure how it would make flanking more viable, other then by virtue of the medic having an overall easier job.

RPG healers? Ohh god no. All that is is starring at your UI and clicking on red boxes so they turn green

Last edited by OutlawDr; 2012-06-30 at 03:00 AM.
Old 2012-06-30, 10:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Accuser
Sergeant Major

RPG healers? Ohh god no. All that is is starring at your UI and clicking on red boxes so they turn green
It's a little different if you have to aim and fire your healing device at the person :-) But still gives you that feel of keeping your team in fighting condition while having enough range to be able to triage a large number of friendlies at once. That's the feeling I'd like to see!

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault