Gameplay: Adding Wildlife - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: nobody gives a rats ass...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-08-05, 12:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Panache
Private

Re: Adding Wildlife

Originally Posted by Apis View Post
I think most people would use the wildlife as something to shoot at when not in the midst of battle. This is disrespectful to wildlife in my opinion. Using buffalo as a shooting prop in PS2 is offensive to me. I hate be political about this but this sort of mentality is a reason animals have become endangered throughout history.
Now, I can argue not adding wildlife for gameplay or performance reasons, but not because we want to be sensitive to the plight of wildlife. That's just silly.

I'm reasonably sure that a real-life cow isn't going to get offended if I decide to shoot a digital video-game space cow.

And I was always under the impression that the reasons animals have become endangered throughout history is (1) encroachment of mankind into their natural habitats, sometimes compounded with over-hunting, and (2) because sometimes species reach an evolutionary dead-end and are out-competed by opposing species.

I do find it perplexing that you have no problem with shooting a game avatar of a person being controlled by a real-life sentient human being in the face with a rocket launcher, but shooting a computer-controlled image of a fantasy Space Bovine to be out of bounds.
Old 2012-08-05, 09:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Gugabalog
Major

Originally Posted by Panache View Post
Now, I can argue not adding wildlife for gameplay or performance reasons, but not because we want to be sensitive to the plight of wildlife. That's just silly.

I'm reasonably sure that a real-life cow isn't going to get offended if I decide to shoot a digital video-game space cow.

And I was always under the impression that the reasons animals have become endangered throughout history is (1) encroachment of mankind into their natural habitats, sometimes compounded with over-hunting, and (2) because sometimes species reach an evolutionary dead-end and are out-competed by opposing species.

I do find it perplexing that you have no problem with shooting a game avatar of a person being controlled by a real-life sentient human being in the face with a rocket launcher, but shooting a computer-controlled image of a fantasy Space Bovine to be out of bounds.
/support
Old 2012-08-05, 06:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Phisionary
Corporal

I dunno why, but adding a bunch of animals to the game just so a bunch of idiot yahoos have something to shoot at between battles, really bugs me... Maybe because it's the kind of stupid thing armies do in real life.

However, I do like the idea of wildlife. Firstly it would just be awesome and make the world more real. Secondly, I think that it could interesting to be able to detect the enemy by watching the wildlife flee as they approach. Herds of animals turning direction, birds erupting from the trees, and so forth. Thirdly, I'd like to see some kind alien megafauna (if there is any of such) to like, rampage across the screen. Picture a giant space-rhino charging into the column and flipping a vangaurd tank over, outright, with it's tusks.
A magrider tank would, of course, be undamaged after a similar such incident.

Last edited by Phisionary; 2012-08-05 at 06:45 PM.
Old 2012-08-08, 08:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
berzerkerking
Second Lieutenant

Lions tigers and /bumps oh my
Old 2012-08-08, 08:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Duskguy
Staff Sergeant

didnt the planetside lore say that there was absolutely no wild life on auraxis, just plant life and alien structures?

would have to add a seperate lore piece of someone bringing animals....and personally i dont see the need other than roadkill...or airkill
Old 2012-08-08, 11:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Gugabalog
Major

Maybe they were imported? It does mention non-sentient creatures were warped through and killed to test the gates.
Old 2012-08-09, 10:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Dagron
Captain

Didn't Smed say he'd like to see wildlife in PS2?

Anyway, i think the reason the lore in PS1 said there were only plants was to keep the game light, but today's PCs and servers can handle much more. As long as it doesn't interfere with performance, it'd be a nice touch to the general atmosphere of the game.
Old 2012-08-09, 11:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
SeanNewBoy
Corporal

Perhaps an animal preserve, spend resources for a visit/hunt?
Old 2012-08-09, 06:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Ayasaki
Private

Didn't really read through the whole thread but the lore states there are only vegetation and no wildlife of any kind on the planet.
Old 2012-08-10, 11:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
berzerkerking
Second Lieutenant

Old 2012-08-11, 03:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
enzero
Private

If you look into Smedley's five year plan notes he posted somewhere not so long ago, there are even plans of npc alien faction, so wildlife is not really far from it.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault