PSU: You don't know why your here...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2012-06-15, 06:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Vancha
Colonel

Re: Help a Brit build his PC!

I'd be curious to hear if anyone with a 120hz monitor gets frustrated when they come across games they can only run at 60FPS.

I figure a low latency IPS monitor might be better until 120FPS becomes the standard target for gaming. At least that way you get the benefit from then on, instead of occasionally having to experience non-120hz smoothness.
Old 2012-06-16, 04:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Pride
Private

If I have any budget left I'm definitely considering getting a swag new monitor however i'm not bothered about a 3D one. The 3D screens in both the cinema and on the 3DS hurt my eyes :L I can't imagine 6 hour gaming sessions without going blind by the end of the week :O
Old 2012-06-16, 05:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Pride View Post
If I have any budget left I'm definitely considering getting a swag new monitor however i'm not bothered about a 3D one. The 3D screens in both the cinema and on the 3DS hurt my eyes :L I can't imagine 6 hour gaming sessions without going blind by the end of the week :O
Not that I'm advocating buying one, but the point of a 3D monitor is the 120hz in 2D rather than the actual 3D. A 120hz screen means 120FPS can actually be utilized to make gameplay look smoother than at 60FPS.
Old 2012-06-16, 06:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Pride
Private

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
Not that I'm advocating buying one, but the point of a 3D monitor is the 120hz in 2D rather than the actual 3D. A 120hz screen means 120FPS can actually be utilized to make gameplay look smoother than at 60FPS.
Ah I didn't consider the other benefits attached, even if 120fps seems a little overkill considering the eye perceives movement at around 30fps. I was actually considering getting some Razer gear to go with the computer, but I've heard mixed reviews, I have friends who swear by Razer and friends who have nothing but hatred for the products. What peripherals and Manufacturers do you recommend?
Old 2012-06-17, 10:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Vancha
Colonel

Ah I didn't consider the other benefits attached, even if 120fps seems a little overkill considering the eye perceives movement at around 30fps. I was actually considering getting some Razer gear to go with the computer, but I've heard mixed reviews, I have friends who swear by Razer and friends who have nothing but hatred for the products. What peripherals and Manufacturers do you recommend?
Uh oh.

Firstly, never get anything sound-related from any gaming company. The only exception is ASUS sound cards.

For keyboards, I'm a mech-head, so I'd suggest companies like Filco, Leopold, Ducky, Noppoo, KBT, WASD (a company called WASD) keyboards etc.

However, if you like the idea of TKL (no numpad), the best deal going is actually a CM Storm Quickfire Rapid. Avoid the Pro though and avoid the Trigger. Also avoid the Razer Blackwidow and the Corsair mechanicals. Rosewill's will be decent, but apparently the connector can be dodgy, so you might want to avoid it if you constantly replug your keyboard.

You'll also want to learn about the different types of switches (Cherry red vs cherry blue and such). Visit Geekhack for your proper keyboard needs. They'll set you straight.

Mouse-wise I could make suggestions, but I'd suggest asking these guys. I could throw out some names, but there's so many variables that even the highest regarded mice could be completely wrong for you (some will even be good at certain DPI and bad at others).

Last edited by Vancha; 2012-06-17 at 10:45 AM.
Old 2012-06-18, 02:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Mutant
Contributor
Master Sergeant

If I have any budget left I'm definitely considering getting a swag new monitor however i'm not bothered about a 3D one.
ISP screens really are that much better in quality than TN.

I have one of these on my workstation: Prob one of the better value highish res ISP screen about £526 at Amazon atm.

I don't use it for gaming but looking on the net it seems the input lag is ~ 30ms which is ok.

But for that money you can have 3 x 24" TN panels. (more or less what im running on my gaming machine atm)
looks like a nice model for multi montor setups.
On Amazon atm for £123 (3 for £369)

Any input lag under 50 ms should not be a problem if you don't play at the highest levels of competition (ie for cash).
Old 2012-06-22, 12:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Ait'al
Contributor
General

The other monitor option unless it changed may be when the new eLCDs come out but that may be years. Or did they cancel that? I'm assuming those will solve every issues with haveing to run anything like 120hz by actually running at everything in general higher. I just wish they had done that for the past 10 years with LCD and everything else. I hate how cheap they make everything... 8( they could put so much more into everything if they wanted to.

I don't have much experience with mouses. but I have a cheap 24 dollar Gear head wireless that is nice. But it only has 2 extra buttons for basically web surfing(back and forward functions on web pages. but it's nice. I use rechargeable batteries with it. I'm guessing not enough buttons for more convenient gaming stuff unless that is not an issue. It's kind of small though.

Last edited by Ait'al; 2012-06-22 at 12:27 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum