Soft collision for friendlies - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Sporkfire > All
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-01-07, 03:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Soft collision for friendlies

Make it as real as possible in my eyes.
Old 2012-01-07, 03:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Atuday
Master Sergeant

Simply due to the complexity of the problem and the many number of ways it could be abused I would avoid this and simply have teamwork be the solution to getting past a max suit or other thing that is in the way.
Old 2012-01-07, 03:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Atuday View Post
Simply due to the complexity of the problem and the many number of ways it could be abused I would avoid this and simply have teamwork be the solution to getting past a max suit or other thing that is in the way.
I agree, it could be abused.

collision could be abused by:
trapping people in spawn tubes, forcing them to grief.
strapping people inside a room
blocking access to a terminal

its a free to play game, it will have the asshats of the world playing, best not give them ways to grief.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-01-07, 08:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Xyntech
Brigadier General

I just think that there's a nice middle ground between a wall of friendlies that is impossible to get past (easy abuse and harassment), and players constantly walking straight through each other and having dozens of players standing on the same 2 sq foot patch of land.

I'd just like to see it be impossible to block another friendly from getting past you, while making it extremely rare to see someone come straight through another player and pretty much impossible to have more than one player occupying the same space for more than a split second.

It's a compromise between the least possible abuse and the least possible immersion breaking. It should also provide a nice tactical balance between the two extremes.
Old 2012-01-07, 08:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
acosmo
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
I just think that there's a nice middle ground between a wall of friendlies that is impossible to get past
guys this isn't tf2. shoot the mofo
Old 2012-01-07, 09:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by acosmo View Post
guys this isn't tf2. shoot the mofo
Yes, and get some grief points for my trouble. Then they get a bunch of friends together and do it again. They are griefing you, yet you are the one getting the grief points. Outstanding.

Don't think this won't happen even more in F2P. I'm less worried about hackers in F2P than I am about asshats. Stuff that's harder to detect.

Like I've said, I'd like to see it be a more intense version of what TF2 does, where it's a lot harder to walk straight through someone, but a wall of allies doesn't even make sense. Why would a bunch of friendlies be walling you off?

A shove/push past mechanic would be too time consuming to implement, so simulate something that acts pretty much the same %90 of the time.

Rampant clipping = bad
Wall of friendlies = bad
Compromise = better
Old 2012-01-07, 09:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
acosmo
Sergeant Major

whatever man. clipping in any form is lame
Old 2012-01-07, 09:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
Yes, and get some grief points for my trouble. Then they get a bunch of friends together and do it again. They are griefing you, yet you are the one getting the grief points. Outstanding.

Don't think this won't happen even more in F2P. I'm less worried about hackers in F2P than I am about asshats. Stuff that's harder to detect.

Like I've said, I'd like to see it be a more intense version of what TF2 does, where it's a lot harder to walk straight through someone, but a wall of allies doesn't even make sense. Why would a bunch of friendlies be walling you off?

A shove/push past mechanic would be too time consuming to implement, so simulate something that acts pretty much the same %90 of the time.

Rampant clipping = bad
Wall of friendlies = bad
Compromise = better
Yea exactly, people really are failing to realise the asshat factor in f2p games.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
Old 2012-01-07, 09:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Vash02
Major

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
you deserve to die then for not getting out of the way of somebody retreating.

you're one of those guys who stands in a tower doorway and keeps trying to run into the splatmax fire as people try to escape it arnt you? blocking everybody inside.
Translation:
"If you disagree with me you must be Hitler!"

Personally I want to see as little clipping as possible, i think the problem was minor in PS1, it was just a few arses that wouldnt move out of the way that were the problem.
Old 2012-01-08, 12:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
Marth Koopa
Banned

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
you deserve to die then for not getting out of the way of somebody retreating.

you're one of those guys who stands in a tower doorway and keeps trying to run into the splatmax fire as people try to escape it arnt you? blocking everybody inside.
Right because I can totally see everything around me 360 degrees all the time, yup.

Also cool assumptions bro.
Old 2012-01-08, 12:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Marth Koopa View Post
Right because I can totally see everything around me 360 degrees all the time, yup.

Also cool assumptions bro.
its called 3rd person...and why would you be backing up into a hostile doorway anyway?

there is only 1 correct answer to that question.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
Old 2012-01-08, 12:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
EVILoHOMER
Major

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
I like it. Hate getting stuck on friendlies in BF3.
God yeah when you all first spawn and it's so annoying being knocked around everywhere as peoples ping differences makes it like human pinball.
Old 2012-01-08, 01:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
ThirdCross
Contributor
Corporal

This seems like it'll lead to a lot of people clipping through me into my fire.
Old 2012-01-08, 01:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
Bitmap
Private

Please, let's not let this discussion degenerate into a flame war. There have been quite a few excellent suggestions on how this problem can be dealt with.

The biggest concern seems to involve clipping through people and the lack of realism that would foster. I don't want to break anyone's immersion and I can see how that would do it pretty quickly.

Imagine, if you will, a crowded room that you need to cross. You certainly wouldn't go running right through people. It would be more of an "excuse me, excuse me, pardon me, coming through..." type of thing right? You would have to do it relatively slowly. Well, that's the basic premise behind my suggestion.

Making sure no one can occupy the same space as someone else for more then a moment would prevent stacking and feel far more realistic then just gliding through like they aren't there.

Asshatery, such as it is, WILL be present in PS2. That's just the way F2P is. Ask anyone that's played any F2P game for more then 5 minutes and they'll just nod and grimace knowingly. I believe keeping friendlies solid would cause far more grief than a well done soft collision system would. Being able to trap your teammates will only lead to this sort of behavior from the ones who get their kicks causing trouble.

Anyway, loving the ideas everyone. Let's just keep it civil please.
Old 2012-01-08, 01:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
NCLynx
Major

Originally Posted by acosmo View Post
whatever man. clipping in any form is lame
Yea man, I hate when I'm playing a game and I'm able to get past people that I otherwise wouldn't have been able to. It's like, come on game! They were supposed to block me and prevent me from enjoying my gaming experience!

Yes. Please have some form of friendly soft collision. Although I can see vehicles being a little weirder to mess with.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion