Clans invited to play beta early! [Unconstructive whining will be deleted] - Page 19 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Secretly stationed in Baghdad
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-13, 04:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #271
Karmic Revenge
Corporal

Re: Clans invited to play beta early! [Unconstructive whining will be deleted]

Originally Posted by DviddLeff View Post
Agreed. I am more than happy that they are doing this - Higby has explained why well, but calling those they have invited "elites" when it seems that PS's biggest outfits leaders and people that have spent many, many hours working on PS related sites over the years have not been invited does raise questions.
Imagine you are a TF2 caster with a good following. Imagine someone approaches you from a game company and says:

"We have a beta, and I guess we want some scrubs from other games to come check it out. Sure, it's way cooler than TF2 and you're just some dude who is amusing, not skilled, but anyway, you should come take a look."

Would you say "yeah, that's great" or "dude, screw you, I'll keep playing TF2" . . .

They've approached people politely with a small amount of flattery because that is how you get people to do something for you.

(As a hint: how NOT to get people to do something for you is whine for explanations after they've been laid out already.)
Old 2012-06-13, 04:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #272
Kurtz
Master Sergeant

By definition I would assume Community leaders are people who run PS community forums.

I can only think of one person who fits that description and its hamma.

He must be awfully lonely on Indar and in the forums.
Old 2012-06-13, 04:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #273
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post
By definition I would assume Community leaders are people who run PS community forums.

I can only think of one person who fits that description and its hamma.

He must be awfully lonely on Indar and in the forums.
lol, I just imagined him standing out in the middle of Indar desert with nothing around him for miles and no form of transportation going "Ahh WTF, where is everybody"

Old 2012-06-13, 04:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #274
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Lol - I imagine him trapped there with violins playing and a single tear rolling down his lonely cheek.
Old 2012-06-13, 05:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #275
Aurmanite
Captain

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
You might not be, but I am, and so are many others around here.
I'm sorry, but it looks like you just said you have earned the right to be more entitled to an explanation that anyone else.

Deny it all you want, and we all know you will, but you're upset because you, or the "other people" that have earned this entitlement, didn't get picked...yet...

I didn't get picked either, and I'm a baaaaad motherfucker.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-13, 05:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #276
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by Karmic Revenge View Post
Can you explain what makes you believe that you deserve a better explanation than what boils down to, "we tried to get a variety of people with community involvement from across FPS games involved," please?
This is the only explanation I've seen: "it's a forum for outfit / clan and community leaders to interact and give feedback to the dev team."

It leaves something to be desired. Like why people I consider outfit and community leaders aren't a part of it.

I ask because there's thousands of players who believe they have some claim to being in the elite.
This has nothing to do with that. It's about contribution, trust, dedication, respect, and loyalty. I think all of those earn an explanation.

How do you personally see reconciling every single person who thinks they are important enough to be in, just in PS alone, and then know that you want to be inclusive of people from other games?
I said we were entitled to an explanation, not involvement. Big difference.

As you say, we know very little about this First Platoon, other than few people and outfits from this community are involved in it, that they refer to the people in it as "elite" and "it's a forum for outfit / clan and community leaders to interact and give feedback to the dev team".

It isn't too much to ask why actual outfit/clan, and community leaders aren't involved in it.

Originally Posted by DviddLeff View Post
Agreed. I am more than happy that they are doing this - Higby has explained why well, but calling those they have invited "elites" when it seems that PS's biggest outfits leaders and people that have spent many, many hours working on PS related sites over the years have not been invited does raise questions.
^-- this man right here is a community leader that I would personally want to make sure was in on that direct feedback to developers. I was quite a bit stunned to see that he wasn't. He's actually at the top of the list that I would expect to see there, along with Hamma. Why isn't this man in that group? I'd really like to know, because excluding someone like this from that circle is really f'ing retarded.

I don't expect them to invite everyone to a focus group. I do expect outside PlanetSide people to be there (like TotalBiscuit, other media types, some well known successful groups from other games, etc). They do need fresh, untainted eyeballs as well as PS veterans. But if your size is limited and you want a good sampling of "elite" people from around the genres, why the fuck wouldn't you ensure that some of your best contributors were in that group? It is a group of outfit and community leaders. DviddLeff is both and a no-brainer choice IMO. So how the hell are they picking these people? Who are these people that are the devs are lending their ears to? What makes them qualified? I'd really like to know because it looks like the dev team went way off into the weeds on this one and I'd like a bit of reassurance that the group they are lending direct ears to is both competent and will represent not only MMO and FPS opinion, but also that of the community and the soul of what made planetside great.

I'm usually quite good about giving them the benefit of the doubt on things and making attempts to see the logic, but this completely escapes me. Clearly I'm not the only one confused either. I'd feel a lot better about it if people chosen were actual community leaders and leaders of known and respected outfits (in addition to the new faces).

And an explanation of this group, the importance of it, how it was formed - that isn't too much to ask.
Old 2012-06-13, 05:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #277
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Bazilx View Post
Would this be a good time to advertize that I've invented a machine which allows you to pimp-slap people over the internet?
Holy shit!

Do you take bulk orders?

I want like 58 of those.
Old 2012-06-13, 05:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #278
Xaine
Major

You date a girl for many years and then you find out from a friend she's engaged to someone else - but don't worry, you'll be invited to the wedding.
That is the worst comparison I have ever seen. :P
Old 2012-06-13, 05:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #279
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

And an explanation of this group, the importance of it, how it was formed - that isn't too much to ask.
I would assume that is for people in the group.

The reason you don't know is because you don't need to know.

Last edited by ArmedZealot; 2012-06-13 at 05:16 PM.
Old 2012-06-13, 05:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #280
Karmic Revenge
Corporal

This is the only explanation I've seen: "it's a forum for outfit / clan and community leaders to interact and give feedback to the dev team."
Then I think you need to go back over the entire thread, because after reading everything in it, I've gotten way more out than that.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-13, 05:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #281
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by Karmic Revenge View Post
Then I think you need to go back over the entire thread, because after reading everything in it, I've gotten way more out than that.
Please be so kind as to post all of the dev comments on the subject.
Old 2012-06-13, 05:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #282
Grognard
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

They do a 1,000 things right... finally start to get the ball rolling... and the first thing they see is a speculative selfish outcry of indignation, at a percieved slight, just as they open the door?

This is like the black friday of nerdrage, dissappointed...

Kein Plan überlebt die erste Feindberührung. Res ad triarios venit... μολὼν λαβέ!
Old 2012-06-13, 05:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #283
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by elfailo View Post
I've been dissing this company for years, I'd be completely surprised if they actually valued my opinion hahaha.
Lol they invited Cham, somebody to test the levels of dougebaggery you can do in PS2.

But lol i would never expect an invite, Australian, action on my account, in elitist PS1 outfit, never gonna happen.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-13, 05:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #284
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

I'd actually really like to see elfailo there too. He strives for competitive play and air combat with meaning. He was one of the best pilots in PS1 back when there were a lot of great pilots. I'd feel better about the group if he was in it.
Old 2012-06-13, 05:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #285
Purple
Sergeant Major

I suppose i can see the befits from the business side of this. when they are allowed to talk about it they will talk to their friends in already hugely popular games. and other guild will see this organised group from their game going to PS2 they will want to see whats up. this will cause a rapid influx of players while taking them away from their competitors. that said i am disappointed that the gaming community i am in (Forge) did not get in invite, but that's mostly because i want to play lol.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion