Clans invited to play beta early! [Unconstructive whining will be deleted] - Page 28 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Home of the elusive Hamma
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-14, 11:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #406
Anderz
Master Sergeant

Re: Clans invited to play beta early! [Unconstructive whining will be deleted]

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
I hope it is 24/7 as well. Hopefully its weekly too. Not the BS going on with GW with having it be nearly a month between the tests.
Wouldn't scheduled stuff up the whole persistent aspect to the game?

Then again, maybe they're not testing that until the beta goes open.
Old 2012-06-14, 11:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #407
Mechzz
Major

Originally Posted by Anderz View Post
Wouldn't scheduled stuff up the whole persistent aspect to the game?

Then again, maybe they're not testing that until the beta goes open.
Beta, particularly at the start, is for testing more than playing.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-14, 12:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #408
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Scheduled times have a lot of advantages.

1) Helps prevent beta burnout. Give us 24/7 on an unfinished product and it might get stale. Scheduled times keep it fresh for us.

2) Helps them focus-test things. Get us all together, give us specific things to test rather than letting us run off into the weeds and try out stuff that isn't fully baked.

3) Gives us forced time to provide feedback. We run the beta, we take notes, and then in the downtime we provide feedback. If we had 24/7 we probably wouldn't provide as much feedback. Why write when you can play?

4) Allows them to monitor us and see how we play the game, how we use the classes, etc. Bugs and feedback are only one way to help them. By observing how we play, what we do, and how we use the tools given they can see if things are panning out how the expected to and make adjustments.

5) Most importantly for PS2, it elevates the population by constraining us to log in and play at a specific time frame. Were it 24/7 testers would be spread throughout the day. If it's a 4-6 hour test, or only for a weekend you'll see a bigger population on at once. That helps them test things at scale without bringing in tons and tons of players, which helps keep the feedback manageable.

6) Helps us avoid losing our jobs or dropping out of school/class

Lot of good reasons for doing it that way. Though I'd love to play whenever, I see how scheduled times can be better.
Old 2012-06-14, 12:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #409
Mechzz
Major

Will time be scheduled for hacker attacks?

I'm only half kidding by the way. If they are serious about security they should get some white hats to join the beta. See if SOE's tools can keep them out, or if CS can help at all.
Old 2012-06-14, 12:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #410
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

SKY's proposal was a bit extreme, but he's not wrong that Ht and PCP oughta be involved in First Platoon (maybe even FC ). These were the best outfits on Markov, and, as proved by the Emerald event, the best outfits on both US servers. HtSgtMad led MARKOV to victory in 2005 and Aftiel of PCP not only runs that outfit but was also responsible for founding Markov Forums.

Not having them to fight the Forumside battle for Planetside is just inappropriate.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-14, 12:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #411
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by GreatMazinkaise View Post
SKY's proposal was a bit extreme, but he's not wrong that Ht and PCP oughta be involved in First Platoon (maybe even FC ). These were the best outfits on Markov, and, as proved by the Emerald event, the best outfits on both US servers. HtSgtMad led MARKOV to victory in 2005 and Aftiel of PCP not only runs that outfit but was also responsible for founding Markov Forums.

Not having them to fight the Forumside battle for Planetside is just inappropriate.
Hope they are not done sending platoon invites, those folks are subject matter experts and should be represented there.
Old 2012-06-14, 12:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #412
robocpf1
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Anderz View Post
Currently, those in the First Platoon have been hand picked to ensure a healthy and respectful balance of opinions.
I'm not sure if there's evidence to support that, necessarily. If we look at Higby's post again:

"We're not done inviting everyone yet. It's a big list and Tony is doing it by hand, rather than using a spam bot email script, so it's not just a push button and everyone is in sort of thing."

"Doing it by hand" doesn't necessarily mean the people in First Platoon currently have been "hand picked" - as far as I can tell it just means they were the lucky ones that happened to be higher on the list. It looks like they aren't even done with the first wave of First Platoon yet, and I don't mean to imply they're doing it in waves - but as stated above, it's just taking a while. And hey, if we want to get REALLY speculative, Archangels starts with A, the first letter of the alphabet.

Last edited by robocpf1; 2012-06-14 at 12:48 PM.
Old 2012-06-14, 12:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #413
Hamma
PSU Admin

I said this in the beta thread but I would guess scheduled tests will only be for the first early rounds.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-06-14, 01:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #414
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
I said this in the beta thread but I would guess scheduled tests will only be for the first early rounds.
Just as long as there are still a lot of unfinished elements I imagine. Once they are confident that most of the major bug and balance issues are sorted out, time to start having beta testers search out the remaining bugs on their own prior to open beta.
Old 2012-06-14, 03:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #415
Landtank
Second Lieutenant

Indeed, I don't care if it's scheduled or not I just want beta.. I'm goin crazy over here.
Old 2012-06-14, 04:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #416
DerFurst
Corporal

Misc Info

There's currently 2227 users registered to the PS forum (counting developers). This is a significant increase from the 100 or so originally registered when this topic was first brought up. Even if this is only the "first platoon", numbers ramping up in the thousands per day is definitely a good sign for the start of beta.
Old 2012-06-14, 04:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #417
Hamma
PSU Admin

All registered means is that people picked their nicknames and logged in with their station accounts.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-06-14, 05:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #418
SgtMAD
Captain

Malorn,

you cannot out-argue the stupid,its like Faux News in this thread.

Dart tried to be nice about it but I swear to God, there is a shitload of ppl in this thread that lack the basic ability to read all the "official" messages concerning this issue and comprehend the information that has been released on the subject.

I hope that none of you get in the damn platoon,I can't imagine the friggin mess you all would come up with if left to your own devices.

I didn't get in either,I'll go slit my wrists later
Old 2012-06-14, 05:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #419
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by GreatMazinkaise View Post

^ Gottta have more people than Cham reppin or shit will get ugly and retarded. I can see Hansime going off on a tangent rant against aircraft sort of retarded when talking about HA balance followed by copious amounts of nodding in agreement from like minded fodder.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-06-14, 05:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #420
proxy
Contributor
Sergeant

Stinks like sex in here.

Ultimately, this programs signifies nothing. There is no special snowflake or savant that would get into those forums and blow the dev's minds with their insight any more than any other person would.

We have little-known/unknown selection criteria for little-known/unknown reasons. No reason to pound sand or each other. It is what it is; postulation and posturing like gorillas is futile and bad for your blood pressure.

| cyberneticpunks.com - Hostile Takeovers - Liquidation - No Survivors
| Join the new face of the old guard.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion