News: Beta Producers Letter and free PlanetSide 1 Game Time! - Page 13 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where vehicular manslaughter isn't a crime, it's grief
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-26, 11:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #181
duomaxwl
Captain

Re: Beta Producers Letter and free PlanetSide 1 Game Time!

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
Besides, there have been people trolling that they have already gotten into beta for a while now.
I actually made a Planetside 2 Beta shortcut on my desktop back when I posted on the "Show your Desktop" topic months ago and nobody caught it.
Old 2012-06-26, 11:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #182
Anderz
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sabrak View Post
I don't get why people want dates when most gaming companies usually don't hold their promises for a date they formerly gave.

I'd rather have a message from SOE and RadarX telling us that things are advancing and that closed beta will start in a short time, than have them tell us "it'll start next week" before they inform us that due to some random problem they need to delay closed beta for a few days/weeks.

Or worse, that they launch the closed beta at the promised date with nothing working, just like it happened for the first Guild Wars 2 Beta Weekend Event.

A date, whether it's met or not, at least quells the rampant speculation that comes from not setting a date. Obviously, not meeting the deadline can be a PR nightmare, but personally, I'd much rather the one-off disappointment of them missing a set date than the months spent wondering whether it will be today, tomorrow or a month away.
Old 2012-06-26, 11:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #183
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
If you want to get super technical it should be approximately 1.38 Soons(TM).
Oh noes! Now there is going to be a ragefest when a minor delay crops up and it ends up being 1.39 Soons(TM).

I hope I can get in by 3.37 Soons(TM), because I'll officially go crazy if I have to wait 3.371 Soons(TM) or longer.

Brb, changing all of my clocks to Soon(TM) time. That's GMT -A Bit(TM), right?
Old 2012-06-26, 11:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #184
TheRagingGerbil
Contributor
Major

RadarX wins the thread! LOL.
Old 2012-06-26, 11:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #185
i see you naked
Corporal

we are looking forward to launch the beta in month XXXX

would be enough, even the worst company can handle such dates, i dont have to point out specific games which did that, do i?

Last edited by i see you naked; 2012-06-26 at 11:42 AM.
Old 2012-06-26, 11:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #186
MyMeatStick
Sergeant

So wait, was this the "Big announcement" Smedley was talking about a few days ago?
Old 2012-06-26, 11:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #187
Krawanan
Corporal

so to be clear, you are never going to announce when you'll start giving out invites?

im really confused right now xD
Old 2012-06-26, 11:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #188
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Now all I need to do is find that reddit message...

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-06-26, 11:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #189
Canaris
Contributor
General

well played sir

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2012-06-26, 11:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #190
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by i see you naked View Post

would be enough, even the worst company can handle such dates, i dont have to point out specific games which did that, do i?
You assume that time commitments are their only concern. People getting butthurt because they are a vet and a PCGamer key holder was randomly selected to get in slightly ahead of them would just be unneeded bitching. Also, if they hit a snag with the first batch or two that they let in, they may have to close down the beta for a few days or weeks to work something out.

They have a lot of good reasons to not let us know anything too specific. But we know that the process starts now, so that's a lot more "soon" than just a vague, multi-month long "soon."

It's starting. Be happy. Just don't get too excited, because even if someone gets in this very day, it still could be a couple months before they let you or me specifically in. But we already knew that would be the case.
Old 2012-06-26, 11:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #191
Sabrak
Contributor
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Anderz View Post
A date, whether it's met or not, at least quells the rampant speculation that comes from not setting a date. Obviously, not meeting the deadline can be a PR nightmare, but personally, I'd much rather the one-off disappointment of them missing a set date than the months spent wondering whether it will be today, tomorrow or a month away.

Well, that's your point of view. I don't share it, though.

I'd rather have a vague idea than wait for a date that might not be respected.
I rage much more if a date is pushed back than to just wait for an email.

Everyone takes the situation differently, uh.

Originally Posted by i see you naked View Post

In one, single, word.

Valve.

Even great companies can mess up with their dates.
Old 2012-06-26, 11:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #192
Stardouser
Colonel

I can't remember ever seeing a company provide a specific Beta date (if it happens it must be rare). They do announce they are entering closed Beta (and that's effectively what we are doing today) but NDA's and dates are never made public.

I wish we could provide you more, but that's just not how game Betas are done unfortunately.
I do know some folks are disappointed and I honestly wish we could have set reasonable expectations when communicating. To be fair, all we promised was an announcement regarding Beta. This is effectively our Closed Beta announcement. It's unlikely we'll announce "Hey we let X number of folks in" and dates are just not something that happens in modern game development. A date is a commitment and we take them seriously.
A lot of people don't know that. What people who don't know any better expect, is to see things like "next week on July 2 our Internal Tests conclude and we invite our first 500 external testers", or "by July 20 we will add another 1000 external testers".

Basically, everyone needs to temper their expectations - specific dates like that will not be given. Note that I am not disappointed, because I knew to expect this. I'm simply pointing out that most people don't know to expect this. It's not too late, by the way, to make a specific statement explaining this...perhaps on the PS2 facebook? In fact, what you wrote above, is exactly what people need to hear. Could possibly prevent another month or more of people asking for dates, thinking you guys are just being unresponsive. Better now than later!

And at least to me, considering how VERY responsive you guys have been in explaining your vision for the game, unlike some companies who treat game development as cloak and dagger and won't share even the least bit about their vision, it would only be an even greater credit to your openness to go ahead and proactively explain this to everyone.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-06-26 at 11:56 AM.
Old 2012-06-26, 11:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #193
maddoggg
Sergeant

Damn they for making me feel even worse that i am not a ps1 vet
Old 2012-06-26, 11:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #194
aceshigh
Private

Misc Info

We are at the event horizon of the PS2 beta. We will continue to get infinitely closer to it while never quite reaching it. At least to the outside observer.
Old 2012-06-26, 11:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #195
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

In conclusion:

The game is now "in external beta" as opposed to "in internal beta".
For those with more or less NDA experience it means much.

Also it seems, like they aren't idd going to announce the invite times. This info will be spread inbetween players.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion