Footholds Archetypes: "Food for Thought" - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: 40% packet loss makes me cry.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: What Homecont Archetype do you prefer?
1 64 47.41%
2 30 22.22%
3 17 12.59%
4 42 31.11%
5 13 9.63%
My own (see below) 5 3.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-13, 06:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Question Footholds Archetypes: "Food for Thought"

ATTENTION: The following pictures are the archetypes of the possible foothold layouts. The lattice and the Warpgate Owners may vary.

Instead of sharing a full report on what I think about the said lattice layouts, guys, I'll just give them louder names. Feel free to discuss/commend/rebuke/vote for any of the following layouts:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Foothold Setup Unmodified aka "All Hail the Stalemate":

2. Single Lattice Homeconts aka "Lock the Attack Angles":

3. Single Lattice Shared Homeconts aka "Prescribed 2-way Path":

4. Multiple Lattice Homeconts aka "PlanetSide Original Mini" aka "How can we fit here?":

5. Single Lattice Double Homeconts aka "Always On the Run":

More Notes:
  • Esamir and Amerish BWGs are of random placement.
  • These examples explain quite clearly why the devs went with the #1 archetype. Compared to all others (with absence of sanctuaries taken into consideration) #1 option gives the highest amount of people per server.
    (666+666+666) + (666+666+666) + (666+666+666)
  • Please have a crystal clear mind about the neutral warpgates handling method. We can have several choices for the way they operate: Non-contestable, always open; Non-contestable, accessibility is based on adjacency; Contestable, effectless hex; Contestable, adjacency-effecting hex.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2012-06-14 at 05:52 PM.
Old 2012-06-13, 06:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Dart
Second Lieutenant

Re: Footholds Archetypes: "Food for Thought"

I don't think the foothold locations look quite right on the two 'blacked-out' Continents but I suspect your first attempt is the closest to the mark.
Old 2012-06-13, 06:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Ghryphen
PSU Code Monkey

Originally Posted by Dart View Post
I suspect your first attempt is the closest to the mark.
Of course it is, that is the point, it appears the rest are alternate suggestions rather than using #1 to help alleviate the possible stalemate of having all three empires having a foothold on every continent.

Twitter | Dragon Wolves

Last edited by Ghryphen; 2012-06-13 at 06:22 PM.
Old 2012-06-13, 06:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
Of course it is, that is the point, the rest are alternate suggestions rather than using #1
I think he means the warpgate positioning.

Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-06-13, 06:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

Personally, I am a fan of #4

Old 2012-06-13, 06:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Hmr85 View Post
Personally, I am a fan of #4
And What if I rename it?

Old 2012-06-13, 06:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Meriv
First Sergeant

If you follow the concept of Indaar where TR terrain is canyons with just one way trought then the foothold of TR will be probably in the 2 islands(since the only way trought will be the bridges), more than that i cant try to guess.
Old 2012-06-13, 06:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
And What if I rename it?
I would still like it. It gives each faction their own continent/home territory. It also allows for multiple fronts on a continent to be contested at any given time. Compared to the way they have it now where you are always fighting in one preassigned area.

Last edited by Hmr85; 2012-06-13 at 06:34 PM.
Old 2012-06-13, 06:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Dart
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
Of course it is, that is the point, it appears the rest are alternate suggestions rather than using #1 to help alleviate the possible stalemate of having all three empires having a foothold on every continent.
Sorry I guess I wasn't very clear. When all is said and done, I suspect #1 is what we will end up with because solutions 2, 4-5 would simply result in a lot of WG camping and each Empire holding/maintaining their 'own' Continent and 3 would effectively limit each Empire to (mostly) fighting on only two of the Continents. It is also not scalable if the Devs wish to add more Continents, one at a time, in the future. Does that make more sense?
Old 2012-06-13, 06:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Added a note:

These examples explain quite clearly why the devs went with the #1 archetype. Compared to all others (with absence of sanctuaries taken into consideration) #1 option gives the highest amount of people per server.

Old 2012-06-13, 06:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Dart
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
Added a note:

These examples explain quite clearly why the devs went with the #1 archetype. Compared to all others (with absence of sanctuaries taken into consideration) #1 option gives the highest amount of people per server.
It is also more easily scalable than certain others.
Old 2012-06-13, 07:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Wow, okay. Now that I read the comments at the bottom of the pictures, I realize you weren't seriously proposing 2-4 as legitimate options. Whew!

Yes, I think you've done a good job of setting people up to illustrate why footholds work best for what we've got and the target to get as big a fight as many places as possible.

Let me just point out that I would NEVER be in favor of any warpgate links that allowed one warpgate to link to multiple destination warpgates. That just removes any strategic significance to them at all. "Own this one on your 'home continent' so you can attack from ANYWHERE!!!!" Blech.

Similarly, I would hate any system that had any fewer than two factions' permanent footholds on any continent with a permanent foothold. Otherwise, you're just inviting a continent lock, which means that continent's capacity goes unused by the server, resulting in a WAY smaller practical server cap. And that goes against the point of MASSIVE.

Finally, 1-linkable warpgate per continent is boring, if you abide by my 1:1 warpgate links rule above. Thus, the only way to make warpgate links work interestingly at all without crippling server capacity would be to offer two warpgates and two faction footholds per continent, perhaps mixing up the warpgate links later on as you add continents to allow for adding foothold-less continents in the future. That *could* work, but I don't see it as any more compelling than having 3-foothold continents, and perhaps adding neutral, captureable, warpgates on top of that to link between continents and have a method to break up the T-stalemates from time to time.
Old 2012-06-13, 10:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
dsi
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Hmr85 View Post
I would still like it. It gives each faction their own continent/home territory. It also allows for multiple fronts on a continent to be contested at any given time. Compared to the way they have it now where you are always fighting in one preassigned area.
This. Planetside Mini is an apt term, but if it's as close as we're going to get to a good system (based on gameplay not F2P) then I'll take it.
Old 2012-06-13, 10:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Resolve
Corporal

anything but 1 will not work until they add more continents.
Old 2012-06-13, 10:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Zolan
Staff Sergeant

#4 is the way to go once they add more continents.

I honestly don't care what is in at launch, but if they make every new continent a foothold stalemate, this game will simpy become a glorified assortment of BF3 maps on a large scale. Hopefully they recognize this after launch.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion