If PS2 skipped beta and released today would you... - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Ask your doctor if Planetside is right for you.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: If PS2 skipped beta and released today how would you feel?
Upset, I really wanted to be in the beta 71 36.41%
Happy, beta is overrated. 29 14.87%
Crying with tears of joy. Left brain and right brain don't agree. 95 48.72%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-13, 07:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Karmic Revenge
Corporal

Re: If PS2 skipped beta and released today would you...

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
^^^ This. I think I'd be a bit upset. Especially since the PS2 devs have been very involved with this community in discussing features and ideas for the game. If we weren't a part of molding the game we will have to hash all the crap out in a full time free-to-play environment <scary>. How do we know that player base input is required to make PS2 a solid gaming experience? Because we went through it in PS1.
I suspect with whatever the postcount required to get to Lt. Col. and the fact that PS2 devs frequent this site your ideas have at the very least been seen on more than one occasion.
Old 2012-06-13, 07:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Since I can read the OP, and see that there's a stipulation that the game is playable and polished when it hypothetically released today...

My answer entirely depends on whether the features I don't like remain in, or whether they got changed to suit me. If it were the former, I'd be upset that I didn't have a chance in the development process to voice my opinions (which isn't to say they'd be adhered to and changed to suit me, but then at least I've had the chance to offer structured, informed feedback based on experience rather than theorizing and speculating to talk in generalities on a board like this). If it were the latter, I'd be overjoyed that the game I've eagerly anticipated is finally here and it's every bit the game I wanted it to be.

So... either 1 or 3, but I have no idea which?
Old 2012-06-13, 07:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
RandomNPC
Corporal

Originally Posted by Phellix View Post
Because mmo's don't use betas, right?
Of course they do. Did you have a point? Or are you just commenting for the sake of commenting?

I said mmo's have continued development throughout their life span;
Originally Posted by Eyeklops View Post
... would you be upset because you didn't get to be a part of the development process...
isn't a possibility. Beta or not the game is constantly in a development process.
Old 2012-06-13, 08:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Karmic Revenge View Post
No, the poll is asking something impossible and obvious and silly all at the same time.

In essence if PS2 were full and complete there's nobody on these boards who would not want to play it and be happy about it. Thus the poll is obviously pointless.

The concept of the poll is that the game is miraculously through beta and done, right now. Obviously impossible.

It's simply poorly written and pointless. And a reason why I like official sites. (Polls aren't available to normal users.)
Go take your trash talk elsewhere. The poll is legit if you have the mind to think about it properly. If you don't like the poll/thread, don't post.
Old 2012-06-13, 09:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
xcel
Corporal

Haha nice, Higby participated in this poll....lol
Old 2012-06-13, 09:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Reefpirate
Corporal

This poll is killing Planetside Community! Stop it!
Old 2012-06-13, 09:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
ParisTeta
Sergeant

If the gameplay is right, the gameflow, with a good basic, balanced units.
The game runs without major bugs, i could live with only 1 Continent.
It`s F2P anyway, the more people test it, the better. Adding more content every week or so would also anchor a player base, and attract new players.

But it would need all that, for example the E3 Demo alone would get boring pretty soon.
Old 2012-06-13, 10:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Pyreal
First Sergeant

It is in the best interest of SOE to release a polished game, so when the game is released it will be polished to their standards, whatever they may be.

Therefore PS2 will be polished at release, regardless of beta.

I tell you-! I tell you, its... its.. UNCANNY!
Old 2012-06-14, 02:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
Mechzz
Major

If the premise of the OP happened, there would be the most almighty WTF from this community. We'd all feel robbed and cheated of seeing our favourite game come together, lose the feeling of being involved in its creation.

Then, about oh, 10 nano seconds later we'd be downloading it and installing and playing it. Then back to bitching on the forums about how "this" or "that" should have been fixed in beta......
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-14, 03:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

My priority is helping ensure that PS2 is as awesome as it can be. Playing in beta is way, way lower on the list, though admittedly playing the game does help provide essential context in order to ensure it is awesome.
Old 2012-06-14, 10:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
Brusi
Contributor
Major

Now i'm not sure if people are hating on this poll because it's simply a hard decision!

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2012-06-14, 10:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

I think the OP could have worded it better. Maybe:

"How would you feel if Beta has actually been out for months and they were to release PS2 today, complete, polished, and bug free? Would you feel disappointed that you didn't get to participate in the Beta process? Happy that the game is done and you get to play a finished product? Or both?"

To which I would say I would have been happy to help, but glad my first experience in PS2 would be with a completed version.
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-14, 11:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
CyclesMcHurtz
PlanetSide 2
Coder

Nothing gets me more excited than the awesome bug hunts in beta ...

... or wait - is that angry?
Old 2012-06-14, 11:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
Bazilx
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by CyclesMcHurtz View Post
Nothing gets me more excited than the awesome bug hunts in beta ...... or wait - is that angry?

Stop mentioning it.
Old 2012-06-14, 11:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Geist View Post
"How would you feel if Beta has actually been out for months and they were to release PS2 today, complete, polished, and bug free?
Sort of correct. I meant no EXTERNAL beta at all. That SOE fully polished the game by whatever means required except an external beta.

Originally Posted by Geist View Post
Would you feel disappointed that you didn't get to participate in the Beta process? Happy that the game is done and you get to play a finished product? Or both?"
This agrees with my OP.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion