News: Jimmy Whisenhunt AMA - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Home of the Newbie Burger.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > Community > Player Introductions

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-28, 10:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #61
Rago
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Re: Jimmy Whisenhunt AMA

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Thanks for taking the time to answer some questions from the community Jimmy! Going to have allot of reading to do when you wake up this morning
You Take the Point Hamma Thank´s from me, too.

Question:

Any Chance the MAX will have "Fraction" Specific stuff ?
I need a Jetpack XD
Old 2012-06-28, 10:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #62
Xenophyn
Private

A lot of folks are asking about combat, and I care about that, but I've got some more questions about large scale gameplay.

The reason I come back to Planetside over other FPS's is the large scale war. Back in '05 I played on a special ops outfit that specialized in taking down tech plants that weren't on a lattice. We'd hack in, wreck up the place, then turtle up in the gen room until the base went neutral. It was intense, and forced us to do our best because we had no real respawn opportunity. It didn't earn us many kills, and very little XP, but it would change the tide of the battle on the continent.

Is Planetside 2 planning to keep these sorts of special operations gameplay models intact? Are there plans to expand this model of gameplay, perhaps so rewards are justly earned? Or will we see a more streamlined continental battlefront that expects people to combat on the line of scrimmage?
Old 2012-06-28, 11:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #63
Hatchak
Private

What would be your best advice against hacking? seeing how specifically FPS games that can't controll them gets ruined, and keeping them to a minimun.
Old 2012-06-28, 11:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #64
Shogun
Contributor
General

thank you jimmy, for this AMA!

as basti has already stated, most of us, who actually read your posts are very very happy to see you on the team! your opinion about watered modern shooters is exactly what ps2 needs!
it´s the thing about ps2, that concerned a lot of veterans!
i liked the half life era most, when i think of quality of fps games.
i don´t even have a good question you didn´t already give an answer to!

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-06-28, 12:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
Mezorin
Corporal

How have modern games watered down the FPS experience in your eyes, and how do you intended to set Planetside 2 apart from them? (assume we're dumb asses on this thread, and give us some nice explanations )

Do you intend to have varying differences between the way the three factions' guns "feel" in terms of handling, firepower, controlability while maneuvering, etc, and if so how?

And not to pick on CS 1.6, but its widely accepted that only a scant few guns in the game had any real practical use in competitive play (ie like how the Deagle was king of the hand guns). How do you plan to help balance three empires worth of infantry weapons so that each gun has its strengths, weaknesses, and niches?
Old 2012-06-28, 12:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
NapalmEnima
Contributor
AGN Field Reporter

Question 0: Time

When do you start at SOE, get your desk/machine/badge/brain-implant/etc?

Question 1: Intellect

You've mentioned repeatedly that you dislike the recent "dumbing down" of FPS gameplay. I thought about it for a while, and couldn't come up with anything specific. What features of FPSes have been changed/removed/added to create "dumber" gameplay?

Question 10: Balance

How do you think weapons within a given category (carbines, or LMGs, or whatever) should be balanced? Should they all have an identical TTK at a given range against a given sized target, and then diverge to some degree as the range goes up or down?

How do all the less "tangible" attributes of a weapon (magazine size, reload time, max range, ammo carried) factor into this? Is it okay for a weapon to have a flatly inferior TTK if these less tangible values are superior?

And how does one balance weapons across categories? Is it even an issue? Is it okay if (for example) assault rifles had a better TTK at all ranges than carbines?

And how the fuck would you balance pistols? You don't want them to all be "flashlights", but you don't want them to be as good as a main weapon either...

Question 11: Creation

Is this the first time you've worked as a game developer?
Old 2012-06-28, 02:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
RNFB
First Sergeant

Why do you believe that PlanetSide 2 should have "hardcore" shooting mechanics that are only going to frustrate casual players because they can't master your "high skill ceiling" and get continually slaughtered, and quit, because they can't compete?

Why do you equate "having to compensate for terrible recoil mechanics" with "high skill ceiling"?

You'll have to know that Counter Strike is in my top 3 worst shooter games of all time (next to CoD and TF2), so I'm just very concerned with a Counter Strike fanboy having an influence on my most loved shooter game's gunplay.
Old 2012-06-28, 02:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
Skie
Private

You have said a few things already that make me really happy. I'm someone who enjoyed CS (all incarnations, from early beta to Source), TFC, Planetside and the early Battlefields, but I've hated the ADHD style gameplay that has seemingly taken hold in the last 3-4 years where you are rewarded for being the first person to fire, which just rewards camping, rather than knowing a map and reading the situation.

Questions!
  1. Headshots: Do you think PS2 actually needs them? With the massive amount of different weapons and huge amounts of bullets surely flying around it might end up being frustrating to die rapidly because of headshots. Some games like BF3 dont even let you know why you just died instantly, so if there are high-damage headshots the game needs some way to explain why you just died so quickly.
  2. Damage values: Random range (TF2) or just distance based? I like knowing that x class dies to y amount of rounds, it lets me rapidly decide my tactics. Having a large random range makes long term knowledge gathering pointless.
  3. Time to Kill: Should people take long enough to kill that they at least have a chance to turn around if attacked from behind? Obviously weapon type matters, as does class. BF3 suffers from this though, if you get flanked (which is common thanks to squad spawning and the flag system, rather than anything skill based) you are utterly screwed.
  4. Supply lines: Wont Battlefield style ammo resupply and squad spawning damage the supply line mechanic and just turn each fight into a massive circlejerk rather than a line vs line advancing fight?
  5. Snipers: Please tell me there are no 1 hit kills on anything but the lightest class. Sniping gameplay is one of the least fun to fight against and provides a low amount of fun: only the sniper himself is having fun, until another sniper snipes him. Playstyles that provide fun for more people need to be rewarded over sniping (ie, no extra points for sniping other than the usual kill points, but provide points for spotting)
Old 2012-06-28, 03:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #69
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by RNFB View Post
Why do you believe that PlanetSide 2 should have "hardcore" shooting mechanics that are only going to frustrate casual players because they can't master your "high skill ceiling" and get continually slaughtered, and quit, because they can't compete?

Why do you equate "having to compensate for terrible recoil mechanics" with "high skill ceiling"?

You'll have to know that Counter Strike is in my top 3 worst shooter games of all time (next to CoD and TF2), so I'm just very concerned with a Counter Strike fanboy having an influence on my most loved shooter game's gunplay.
You mean bad, not casual. Casual is amount of playtime. People who don't play a lot can master games.
Old 2012-06-28, 08:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #70
Kujo
Private

I asked the first question and got skipped
Old 2012-06-28, 09:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #71
lawnmower
Sergeant

things that make the game harder increases skill ceiling

high skillceiling is something different to how easy it is to get nto a game, how badly you will do when youre lower skilled than the average.
chess has a high skillceiling and is extremely punishing for the lower skilled player as just a small difference in skill leads to quite the substantial winrate for the better player, for example

Last edited by lawnmower; 2012-06-28 at 09:51 PM.
Old 2012-06-28, 10:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #72
RNFB
First Sergeant

Lightbulb Re: Jimmy Whisenhunt AMA

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
You mean bad, not casual. Casual is amount of playtime. People who don't play a lot can master games.
Casual = bad. A casual is someone who does not care about mastering a game. They could play all day every day, and not give a damn about being "good", and they would still be a casual because of their casual approach to the game. On the flip side, someone who plays very little could be considered "hardcore" because he puts effort into becoming good at the game.

Originally Posted by lawnmower View Post
things that make the game harder increases skill ceiling
So games should be poorly designed so that the players have to compensate for atrocious mechanics to become "skilled"?

high skillceiling is something different to how easy it is to get nto a game, how badly you will do when youre lower skilled than the average.
chess has a high skillceiling and is extremely punishing for the lower skilled player as just a small difference in skill leads to quite the substantial winrate for the better player, for example
"high skill ceilings" should be left to games like Quake. Having a high skill ceiling in a game like PlanetSide 2 is only going to make sure it fails hard because the mainstream will become disinterested due to them not having the skill to compete.
Old 2012-06-29, 11:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #73
lawnmower
Sergeant

So games should be poorly designed so that the players have to compensate for atrocious mechanics to become "skilled"?
i didnt say anything abotu that, i explained how having mechanics that makes the game harder increases the skillceiling of a game.
but why do you think that its a terrible mechanic and poor design?

"high skill ceilings" should be left to games like Quake. Having a high skill ceiling in a game like PlanetSide 2 is only going to make sure it fails hard because the mainstream will become disinterested due to them not having the skill to compete.
i just said that a game can have high skill ceiling, ways to always (for a really long time) be able to make meaningful improvements on how good you are, and have bad players be able to do a reasonable amount of good for their team
Old 2012-06-29, 12:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #74
Arovien
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by whisenhunt View Post
I look at it like this, one step at a time.

I think anything is possible... But as we've learned in the past, you never want to force something into esports. (CGS)
This was echoed by Higby during the MMORPG.com stream.
Exactly what I wanted to hear.

@JW
What is your take on micro-transactions and how it is being approached by SOE for PS2.
Old 2012-06-29, 01:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
GuyFawkes
First Sergeant

Casual = bad. A casual is someone who does not care about mastering a game. They could play all day every day, and not give a damn about being "good", and they would still be a casual because of their casual approach to the game. On the flip side, someone who plays very little could be considered "hardcore" because he puts effort into becoming good at the game.
On the flipside people can call themselves hardcore, play all day long each and every day and still be bad players. Likewise someone could work and only have time for 1-2 hrs a day but in that time get more done than the 'hardcore' dude does all day, yet still considers their playtime secondary to their IRL and therefore casual about it

Anyone with the inability to adapt, or fail to learn from their mistakes always have to blame something else for their shortcomings. Poor mechanics that you have no control over, and a poor skill ceiling only encourage such behavior.

It's a matter of perspective.

Take Zelda as an example. It starts you off with basic tools to get you started then as you progress the game you find new tools to work with, which in turn allows you to defeat objectives that at the start would have been impossible. Your char evolves with increasing difficulties and you get better. If you confine yourself to just a sword and refuse to adapt and overcome you get nowhere.

The game (ps2) is there for everyone to learn and progress with, some pick it up faster than others.

PlanetSide Universe > Community > Player Introductions