Knife Kills - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Do not make love to your PS CD.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2012-08-07, 05:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
PlaceboCyanide
Staff Sergeant

Re: Knife Kills

I don't have the timecode written down or anything and thats a lot of hours to go through to find out- all I remember is someone hacking a couple of times on a max unit. the timing seemed to be exactly the same as Tribes, and it failed to kill the max so....
Old 2012-08-07, 06:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Twistedpair
Private

It would be so gratifying if there were amazing animations for knife killz.. Depending on what class you are, and direction your attack comes from. It would make killing this very fun, indeed!!
Old 2012-08-07, 06:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Sunrock
Major

Originally Posted by Shylan View Post
That sounds promising. Do you have a link to or a rough idea of where, and in what video(s) the knifing mechanics can be seen? I'd like to take a look at that.

And for the record: I'm OK with being able to one-hit-kill an infiltrator or maybe a light assault with a knife, at least if you've got the advantage of surprise on your side. Being able to one-hit-killing someone with a gun by running straight at them with a knife and swinging like a madman isn't OK, though.

One possible way to balance it out would be to have higher locational damage from behind (not necessarily a good idea, though) or have cert for the infiltrator where it grants extra damage to the knife stroke if you manage to de-cloak right behind the enemy and stab them, or something. At least, just something that makes a frontal assault with a knife a far less safe or effective option.
Well if it takes 2-3 hits from the knife in front and 1 in the back I don't see the problem.

In BF3 that is how the knife works. Also in BF3 you have a 3-4 sec long animation that you get locked in when you stab some one in the back.

For those that don't play that game here is a video...

Having you locked in the animation for a few sec makes it harder to stab several in row like you can do in COD as it usually gives the dude next to you enough time to kill you while you stab the other dude.

However in Planetside many infantry units carry allot more armor then real soldiers in reality. Even though many have there neck blotted you cant say that about the MAX and the heavy assault so knifing those should be harder. But as long as we only talk about infiltrators, light assault, medics and engineers I don't see a problem.
Old 2012-08-07, 07:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Shylan
Private

Originally Posted by Sunrock View Post
In BF3 that is how the knife works. Also in BF3 you have a 3-4 sec long animation that you get locked in when you stab some one in the back.
I'd be OK with that, but the second kill at 1:00 and the one at 2:40 are perfect examples of what shouldn't be possible unless the victim is caught in the middle of reloading or something.
Old 2012-08-07, 07:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Sunrock
Major

Originally Posted by Shylan View Post
I'd be OK with that, but the second kill at 1:00 and the one at 2:40 are perfect examples of what shouldn't be possible unless the victim is caught in the middle of reloading or something.
Well if you watch closely the kill at 1:00 takes him 3 hit to kill him. And the fight at 2:40 he is reloading and pull his pistol too late. He also get hit by at least one bullet in the stomach before he gets knifed too.

My experience from BF3 is that if some one try to stab you in the front is just backing up and empty your magazine in the person. 19 times out of 20 that will kill him. 1 times out of 20 you might find some one that has the "skillz" to dodge any hits from your weapon.

PS: Found this video that shows that can happen...

Last edited by Sunrock; 2012-08-07 at 07:43 PM.
Old 2012-08-07, 08:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Helwyr
Sergeant Major

In PS1 you could not penetrate MAX armor with a knife, that's what Satchel charges are for

I think MAX suits being immune is fine, but all others should be vulnerable to a knife. With a blade you can specifically target weak points or get under armor through joints etc that would be much less likely than with a firearm. Also, the knives in Planetside are power assisted, they're designed to cut through armor. This is a sci-fi game remember
Old 2012-08-09, 12:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #52
Gugabalog
Major

Reminds me how people don't understand that swords really are just what they look like, giant frigging knives. Used to penetrate between the plates of armor so often used.

But yeah, on topic, I think MAX should be immune.

*Can't wait to see the COD/BF3 knifers try to knife maxes then have themselves bashed in when the MAX melees back*
Old 2012-08-09, 01:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #53
mindmines
Contributor
Corporal

I think knifes should be a one hit kill if you knife in the right spot. Because like someone said earlier, "If you let someone get that close to you, you deserve to die".
Old 2012-08-10, 06:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #54
Noon
Private

This has probably been mentioned, but in one of the live streams Higby jumps out of his tank to melee a infiltrator. Takes him... Three hits I think.

I think I will treat melee/knifing just like I did in BF2 when it first came out; as a last resort, or as the ultimate insult. So you will hardly ever find me doing it.
Old 2012-08-12, 09:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Whitetragedy
Private

Something to consider, if the enemy is crouching down and you sneak behind him with a knife, does it count as a "headshot" if the knife stabs his head?
Old 2012-08-15, 08:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #56
MrAmazing
Private

Misc Info

Lol i would think not
Old 2012-08-15, 12:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
Nordan
Corporal

Does anyone know if we will be able to walk around with the knife equipped, or do we have to settle for a boring quick knife button like so many games have these days?
Old 2012-08-15, 01:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
SeanNewBoy
Corporal

Originally Posted by Helwyr View Post
Your face to face with an opponent in grappling range, which weapon do you want, a bolt action rifle, LAW anti tank launcher, or combat knife?
Assault rifle, even if i dont have a cc attachment the butt has better range than a knife. I can also put more force into it, one good swing to the jaw and your out. Knifing should only be a good choice from behind when you dont want the whole world to know your there.
Old 2012-08-15, 01:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
VikingKong
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Nordan View Post
Does anyone know if we will be able to walk around with the knife equipped, or do we have to settle for a boring quick knife button like so many games have these days?
They went with the boring option, unfortunately.
And if you don't throw in your buck 'o five
Who will?
Old 2012-08-15, 02:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
Gradeius
Private

i might be a bit late to this conversation but it would be interesting at some point to see some bayonets for ARs or some other melee attachments or something to stun an enemy in CQC

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions