The Best Joysticks for Planetside 2 - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Miles away from ordinary.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-05-27, 08:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Psi
Private

Re: The Best Joysticks for Planetside 2

While I agree that you won't need a joystick to be a better pilot in PS2..

There's a reason they don't let pilots fly their jets with a mouse and keyboard. :P

Either works. Whatever you 'grew up' with would be the better option.
Old 2012-05-27, 08:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by Psi View Post

There's a reason they don't let pilots fly their jets with a mouse and keyboard. :P
Because a keyboard takes up too much space in the cockpit and has too many unnecessary functions, and the mouse has to be on a flat surface with room to move. Joysticks are much more ideal for real life situations due to how compact they are.
Old 2012-05-27, 08:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
SKYeXile
Major General

Yea id play with a mouse first, because it is afterall been designed with that primary in mind. also with a trottle, forget about it, thats a full motion to put it in reverse or on the brakes, with a KB is just S.

though there is rolling in PS2, i presume this means having 2 roll buttons, likly E and Q, these would be surly better mapped to a joystick Z axis so you have grater control, the other option is to map roll to foot pedals and just use a mouse.

on your mouse though you will want 2 buttons for flight raise and lower, you dont want that shit bound to your keyboard.

in the case you do go for a joystick, make sure it has a 8 way hat switch for flight raise and lower and left and right if you dont plan to use a KB for that.

also there is free look which i think was confirmed, you will want another hat switch for that.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-05-27, 09:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Purple
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
While I agree that you won't need a joystick to be a better pilot in PS2..

Either works. Whatever you 'grew up' with would be the better option.
what would happen if you drop the mouse in a jet? Im sure Clegg would know....
Old 2012-05-27, 09:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Jownzorz
Corporal

N52te

/thread
Old 2012-05-27, 09:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Zekeen
Major

It's nice and all to prefer mouse and keyboard, but I started this thread for us joystick users. If all you have to say is "mouse and keyboard", you're better off not even posting in this thread. I'd prefer to get lots of good joystick information than have a flaming war between joystick and mouse users.

You prefer mouse and keyboard, a lot of us prefer joysticks, and this thread is for joysticks.
Old 2012-05-27, 10:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

I guess just because I used to use a joystick on all of my old flying games (microsoft sidewinder 3d pro was my favorite) i will definitely be using a joystick to fly with in ps2. If I had the money I had read there was this really awessome joystick based off of the stick found in the f-16.

This thing is 200 bucks and one of the most precise flying sticks on the market.

Last edited by Sledgecrushr; 2012-05-27 at 10:33 PM.
Old 2012-05-27, 10:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Psi
Private

Have a Saitek X45 that I use for some stuff.

I love it, but not sure if I'll be using it or a mouse. I suppose it depends on how PS2 jets handle a joystick in general.
Old 2012-05-27, 10:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
psimonk
Private

I would personally recommend the thrustmaster t-flight, as it's one of the best as far as bang for the buck, well made and responsive:
The saitek x52 is good also, but more expensive and not worth it for just ps2 (personally anyway).

I think any more expensive joysticks, however well made would probably be overkill for something like PS2, and really only for those flight sim fans. I would get this especially if you're planning on playing vanu because it has a extra axis in the "twist" which some don't have (although some saiteks do too) and I imagine the scythe will be able to take advantage of that.
Old 2012-05-27, 10:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Yup looks to me like a 50 dollar thrustmaster might be the best thing to start off with. Because if it flies like shit with a sick then i would be out a bunch of money and end up just using a mouse. This Thrustmaster I think is the way

Last edited by Sledgecrushr; 2012-05-27 at 11:02 PM.
Old 2012-05-27, 10:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Haro
Master Sergeant

I'll probably be using my old Sidewinder Force Feedback 2. Old-school. Done me just fine so far, don't plan on changing.
Old 2012-05-27, 11:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
kertvon
Sergeant

I just did some joystick bouncing a month or so ago and can give a few insights. As was posted earlier in the thread, Higby commented on reddit saying he was using the Logitech g940. The g940 has some solid reviews, but was flamed for having some driver issues in which the lights on the throttle would not work. All in all not a big deal. I used a logitech xtreme 3d pro for about a month and then returned it to pick up the saitek x52 pro. The x52 was sweet and since the throttle had a pressure adjustment, it was smooth as butter for full throttle stops and takeoffs. The main thing I was not a fan of was the spring action on the x52 pro... compared to the logitech 3d pro, it felt extremely flimsy. After having the x52 for about a week or so I sent it back. I used it on BF3 just to see how it felt in practice, and while it was cool, it was hardly necessary. Just the joystick itself combined with the keyboard was more practical and I preferred to put the extra $120 towards hardware to beef up my rig. Also my desk space was very limited and the trio(keyboard/throttle/joystick) took up quite a bit of surface area. I have read reviews on the CH joysticks and they are apparently superb. Also the higher end thrustmaster HOTAS setups are good stuff too.

The x52 was a good deal, but I was not a fan overall with the spring assembly. It used an elevated stick with a dual spring with a ring near the base to apply tension to generate the bounce back when the stick was tilted in any direction. The major flaw with the design is that if you do not use a fluid motion to keep the spring slightly compressed while doing a straight line over the center axis(ie, moving the stick straight from forward to backwards or from left to right) there is slight knock where the tension ring slaps the base of the joystick. This combined with the fact that most actions that would require this motion would be due to correcting overcompensation, and the flimsiness of the stick made it feel like I was going to break it.

The 3d pro uses a sort of ball in base design where the stick pivots around the ball. By design the stick was much sturdier and the above problem with the x52 is a non issue. Plus the 3d pro is $30-40 compared to $150.00 for the x52 pro.

Last edited by kertvon; 2012-05-27 at 11:07 PM.
Old 2012-05-27, 11:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

I played some ps1, and to me it really was not like flying at all. You pushed a button to go up. You pushed a button to go down. Another button to perform a premade kind of barrel roll. Basically flying in ps1 kinda felt dumbed down. Hopefully with a real physics engine flying in ps2 will feel a lot more natural and not like sliding on a rail. I really want to be able to perform some neat maneuvers that only a joystick can make seemless.
Old 2012-05-27, 11:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Arktype
Private

I honestly don t think a joystick will be needed. The flight and land physics for the vehicles will not be close to a simulation. I think the goal for the dev is to make it easy enough to be played with keyboard/mouse.

I would personally love a more 'simulation' style to the flying physics like WWIIO has... but Planetside is meant to reach a wilder range of players.
Old 2012-05-27, 11:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

You ever play crimson skies? It was a fun little arcade style flying game, you could fly with mouse and keyboard but I used a joystick in it and it was a blast. I guess i wont have to use a stick in ps2 and prolly no one else would have to use one either but im going to fly using a joystick setup because for me it adds immersion and it is fun for me. So really if you dont plan on using a joystick i dont want to fucking here from you on this particular thread.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion