The Best Joysticks for Planetside 2 - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I was going to get a Life, but its like a 560 MB download.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-06-22, 05:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
rhombus
Private

Re: The Best Joysticks for Planetside 2

Some people really like to use joysticks for flight, I don't personally see any use in mocking them. If that's what you're used to then go for it. If that's not what you're used to then stick with what you know or be prepared for a lot of training.

I've been using the Cyborg FLY5 for the past couple years, pretty much the successor to the Saitek mentioned earlier. I recommend it because it has a very good feel and it's not overly laden with buttons. PS1 and I assume PS2 flight required very few buttons.

http://www.cyborggaming.com/prod/v5stick.htm

There's a few things that I look for in a flight stick.

1) A stable base
2) Good stick tension
3) Yaw control by twist
3) Throttle control
4) View hat

The FLY5 has all of that plus the fit is completely adjustable and the four extra buttons at your thumb are very handy.

My main problem with HOTAS systems is that they're really supposed to be hard mounted with each half on either side of you. They get really uncomfortable when used on a desk and forget putting them in your lap.

Ultimately though there's only a few things that were needed for flying in PS1 besides a stick and throttle: VT up/down buttons, weapon switch, map button, minimap zoom in/out, ejection, and push-to-talk (if you didn't use voice activation). That was pretty much it.

It's really about the feel of the stick, it should be stable and have good tension, making sure the sensitivity is right for your game either in-game or through drivers. Otherwise keep the controls simple. That's the tough part about choosing a joystick, if you're buying online you can't put your hands on it and try it. This is the major thing I miss about video game stores.
Old 2012-06-22, 05:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
ODonnell
Corporal

I would hold off until you play it first to make the decision.
Old 2012-06-22, 05:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
Toppopia
Major

You call that a joystick?
This, is a joystick.

But i think joysticks would be good, if i can get mine working on the laptop, i might try it out to see if its any easier to use then a mouse.
Old 2012-06-22, 05:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
Slepnair
Corporal

Misc Info

Originally Posted by maradine View Post
I'm a complete dyed-in-the-wool flight sim nerd, but . . .

Primary control.

Yaw, brakes.

MFDs.

Freelook control.

I recognize this will be better done on my Logitech 3D, but that doesn't mean I won't fire up the whole rig just once. Fun Fact - 7 USB connections worth of flight sim gear.

True story - I'm the reason your FPS still has an invert y-axis option.
i have the throttle and joystick, as well as a free look setup that i have yet to setup.

i'm waiting to see how PS2 handles it all before i decide how i'm going to fly.

Last edited by Slepnair; 2012-06-22 at 05:55 PM.
Old 2012-06-22, 06:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
ODonnell
Corporal

I'm a complete dyed-in-the-wool flight sim nerd, but . . .

Primary control.

Yaw, brakes.

MFDs.

Freelook control.

I recognize this will be better done on my Logitech 3D, but that doesn't mean I won't fire up the whole rig just once. Fun Fact - 7 USB connections worth of flight sim gear.

True story - I'm the reason your FPS still has an invert y-axis option.
We need to become friends. If you live anywhere in the state of Texas let me buy you a beer.
Old 2012-06-22, 06:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
Luieburger
Sergeant

I was thinking one of those G13s might be a really happy medium for that problem. Very ergonomic key cluster, plus mini stick for another axis at your thumb.
I'd go for that except I'm right handed and I wouldn't want to use my left thumb on a tiny thumb stick to control a plane. I was looking at this but I would have the same problem with it.

I'm extremely picky about my flight controls. Keyboard and mouse is by far the best gaming controller ever invented, but I find a few situations where it is inadequate. Anything that flies like a jet or a propeller plane really requires a joystick. Helicopters on the other hand are perfect for keyboard and mouse since it's rare that you would ever want to roll or loop, and the yaw is the fastest way to turn anyway.

One thing is for certain though. In any flying situation the joystick beats the pants off one of those little analogue thumb sticks on the xbox controller. Why? The range of motion on a joystick is much greater than the thumb sticks. It's much easier to be precise with your hand on a joystick moving around a 8x8 inch area than it is to be precise with your thumb on a thumbstick moving around a 1x1 inch area.

Thumbsticks are best for sports games where precision isn't as critical, but quick direction changes are critical.

PS2 will be interesting because not only do they need to decide how their aircraft will be controlled, but they also need to decide how faction specific aircraft controls will differ. We already know that the Scythe flys differently than the NC and TR aircraft. It's entirely possible that someone like me would fly the scythe with the keyboard and mouse, but require a joystick for the other aircraft. I hope to find out soon

Last edited by Luieburger; 2012-06-22 at 06:23 PM.
Old 2012-06-22, 07:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by ODonnell View Post
We need to become friends. If you live anywhere in the state of Texas let me buy you a beer.
I don't, but reciprocally extended should you find yourself in the Republik.
Old 2012-06-22, 08:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
FPClark
Staff Sergeant

Mouse and keyboard all the way (and I have a HOTAS Warthog sitting next to my pc).
Old 2012-06-22, 08:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #69
Papscal
Staff Sergeant

The best joystick for PS has and always will be your mouse.
Old 2012-06-23, 01:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #70
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Thank god we're talking about PS2.
Old 2012-06-23, 02:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #71
Zekeen
Major

Gotta love how an attempt to find the best joystick is always hijacked by mouse fanatics.

In any case, I purchased a joystick suggested in this thread.

Going from a Raider Fx Advanced, bought back at around, 1995

To a Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas

I get it in next week and can't wait to see how it handles. Haven't been able to use a joystick since I played PS1! Whether it was better or worse, it was a LOT more fun with a joystick than mouse and keyboard.

This seems like the best choice joystick. Costing me only 46 dollars, with free shipping through amazon, and it has great reviews so far. It's also 2 parts that connect together, so who can go against having more?

Also, I'm considering if I should paint it NC colors... gotta find a good paint kit for such stuff... and cheap.

Last edited by Zekeen; 2012-06-23 at 03:50 AM.
Old 2012-06-23, 09:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #72
MrKWalmsley
First Sergeant

Hybridise! Joystick and keyboard!

Also there's no real reason to start arguing about which is better when it does come down to your own play-style. It's like arguing which kind of cloak is better for an infiltrator, it all depends on the person, so there is no absolutes. Personally I find joysticks easier because rather than pushing a mouse directly forward and the aircraft tips downward and forward, with a joystick you'd be pushing forward and downward to achieve the same movement.

Besides which, if I'm trying to turn to get on the enemies tail, but the process take like 10 seconds, I'd rather (and it is more consistent) to have a constantly turning axis rather than having to lift up the mouse and move it back to the original position before making the vehicle turn again. It may seem small but for me it gets annoying after a while, plus the time gap while lifting the mouse all adds up in a combat system where split second actions need to be taken.
Old 2012-06-24, 03:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #73
Broadside
Sergeant

I got a Logitech 3D Pro for $30 and it's worked beautifully for BF3. I can control Helicopters with insane precision, and the customizable buttons give me every control ill ever need while in the air right at my finger tips. Wonderful stick.
Old 2012-07-20, 08:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #74
soulsurfsublime
Corporal

I am thinking about getting a Saitek X52 flight system to try PS2 flying with. Any one out there have any feedback on that? I never used a Saitek before and was thinking price range $50~$100ish.
Old 2012-07-20, 08:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

I'm deeply interested in the possibilities offered by the new Mosquito. It's the fastest bird in the sky, which means in air-to-air my beloved Republic will have a big edge. Also, I suck at flying and never really got into it -- at least with the mouse/keyboard combo. Soooo.....

I think I'll wait until late beta at a minimum, and see what the techno-nerd elite have to say about which joystick being best for PS2. I want one, but know little or nothing about joysticks *or* flying.

I suspect a lot of folks are in the same boat.

Last edited by Rivenshield; 2012-07-20 at 08:39 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion