[Merged] Planetside 2 & TrackIR - Page 6 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Our Christmas lights are ghetto.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-02-14, 04:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #76
Mauser101
Sergeant

Re: TRACK IR??

I first purchased TrackIR specifically for an FPS game, ARMA2. Some of my more simish gamemates raved about the product in their flight sims and were very excited about it being implemented in ARMA2.

I'd just gotten my tax return to so thought I'd do the economy a favor and get it. It really is a wonderful product. The level of immersion it added to ground combat was absolutely wonderous. You do a lot of sitting around and waiting in ARMA2 and having the ability to swivel your head around to know what was going on around you without actually moving your character was great, if not sometimes lifesaving. The fact that TrackIR was not implemented in BF3 was a MAJOR failing considering free-look was already in and because the TrackIR guys basically write the software for the game. It really does not seem to add to the development cycle of a game to any serious degree.

Would have been particularly useful in BF3 considering the limited field of view in aircraft and especially on the ground in hardcore games since you so often only knew were to shoot because the enemy was moving around.

Additionally, to those who claim it adds an undue advantage, I really rather disagree. Does it give some degree of advantage, I can't say that it doesn't but it's not much. Mostly it's just good for scanning around you which you do by moving your mouse about anyway. The only difference is you move your head slightly from side to side. As I said it adds immersion and that is something that should always be aimed for.

Do you think the Ultimate BF3 Simulator adds an undue advantage or does it simply make the game more fun?

http://www.sturmgrenadier.com

Last edited by Mauser101; 2012-02-14 at 04:58 AM.
Old 2012-02-14, 05:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #77
HoovesMcG
Corporal

+10,000
Old 2012-02-14, 07:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #78
Kaotc
Corporal

its funny that you think:
"..it will only take a tiny bit of development time..."

do you really, honestly think that Natural Point, would just give SOE their technology for free, on a game that is going to potentially make SOE millions and millions of dollars.

No, not a chance, they will want cold hard cash to license SOE for the tech, and being honest, if i was SOE, i wouldnt be interested, regardless of how cool it is.

if i was SOE, and i wanted something like this in my game, i would trott over to the Playstation MOVE team, and adapt the tech from there, then sell my own, Planetside branded Track IR rig on the Cash shop.....

regardless of how cool the tech is, its not going to happen.
Old 2012-02-14, 07:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #79
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

I want it in game as the kit looks fantastic and really useful; would add to immersion also.
Old 2012-02-14, 08:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #80
Knocky
Major

It is cool.....but no way is it $150 cool.

I would get a second GPU and SLI before I would pay that kinda money for a cool gimmick.
Old 2012-02-14, 09:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #81
SniperSteve
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Waste of development time, IMO.

And no, not including support for your overpriced gimmicky peripheral is not "pissing" on the track ir community.
Agree. Would rather have a battle recorder.
Old 2012-02-14, 09:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #82
Graywolves
General

Maybe post-launch if they can.

Personally I have 0 interest.
Old 2012-02-14, 09:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #83
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

I really want to know, how does the aiming work when you move your head?
Seems like it stays in position while the field of view turns, so you've now got a moving field of view and an independent weapon alignment. Is the weapon reticle "center"? That is, if you move the weapon to aim at something you see by moving your head...do you have to move your head back to center position at the same time. Perhaps it's only confusing if you're watching.

At any rate, I'd rather spend the cash on adding a couple monitors for peripheral vision than futz around with wierd control schemes that require me to put something on my head.
It's like 3D TV. Not interested if it adds inconvenience.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2012-02-14, 11:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #84
Mauser101
Sergeant

At least in ARMA2 the center of aim stays centered on where your gun is pointed, the character's head move independently. Same as if you were in a BF3 in a jet or chopper. Where you look has no effect on where the barrel is pointed.

It is bit disorienting when you first start using it as you'll notice you tend to not look straight ahead naturally, you always position your head a bit off center, but you very rapidly learn to keep yer noggin level and steady.

Honestly, in a very short time it becomes completely natural...which is pretty much the whole point.

http://www.sturmgrenadier.com
Old 2012-02-14, 12:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #85
HoovesMcG
Corporal

Originally Posted by Kaotc View Post
its funny that you think:
"..it will only take a tiny bit of development time..."

do you really, honestly think that Natural Point, would just give SOE their technology for free, on a game that is going to potentially make SOE millions and millions of dollars.

No, not a chance, they will want cold hard cash to license SOE for the tech, and being honest, if i was SOE, i wouldnt be interested, regardless of how cool it is.

if i was SOE, and i wanted something like this in my game, i would trott over to the Playstation MOVE team, and adapt the tech from there, then sell my own, Planetside branded Track IR rig on the Cash shop.....

regardless of how cool the tech is, its not going to happen.
natural point makes its money by selling units. And the more games have it the more units they sell. And your point makes zero sense. You say youd rather have SOE develop there own PC version of move and then sell it for planetside when there is a perfect solution out there that only requires about 3 lines of code to implement? You sir have zero idea what the hell you are talking about.
Old 2012-02-14, 02:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #86
Kaotc
Corporal

Originally Posted by HoovesMcG View Post
natural point makes its money by selling units. And the more games have it the more units they sell. And your point makes zero sense. You say youd rather have SOE develop there own PC version of move and then sell it for planetside when there is a perfect solution out there that only requires about 3 lines of code to implement? You sir have zero idea what the hell you are talking about.
I did not say I personally would rather SOE developed it, i think you should re-read my post?

my point being:

SOE have the technology in house(and by in house, i mean within the Sony group of companies), what business their right mind would pay someone else to licence technology from, when if they REALLY wanted to, they could do it themselves with not a lot of effort?

I mean they made a ground up new graphics engine for the game, rather than pay Epic(or someone else) for the new Unreal Engine....

You sir, have zero idea if you think Natural Point will just give SOE their code for nothing just because they would have an opportunity of selling more gaming rigs
Old 2012-02-14, 03:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #87
Shogun
Contributor
General

what about kinect? is it too much a competitor for sony to support it?
there is a pc version out now and i think it could do everything the trackir does and more.

i know, the current kinect pc version is not meant for entertainment, but i´m sure there will be another version soon or the current version will just get support from games and drop in price a little.
maybe soe should support the current xbox version as a tracker. it´s quite common already and the shortrange problem can be solved by giving the option of getting tracked from behind, so the kinect doesnt have to sit on the monitor and can be placed behind the player in some distance.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-02-14, 04:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #88
NCLynx
Major

If there are ways to do what this does in game WITHOUT it, I can see it being pretty cool. (Such as only looking around turning your head as opposed to your whole body by holding right click or something along those lines, instead of having a Track IR)

But if buying this meant whoever has it has a competitive edge over those who don't than no thank you.
Old 2012-02-14, 04:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #89
Hamma
PSU Admin

Re: Planetside 2 & TrackIR

I have merged the threads

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-02-14, 04:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #90
HoovesMcG
Corporal

Talking Re: TRACK IR??

Originally Posted by Kaotc View Post
I did not say I personally would rather SOE developed it, i think you should re-read my post?

my point being:

SOE have the technology in house(and by in house, i mean within the Sony group of companies), what business their right mind would pay someone else to licence technology from, when if they REALLY wanted to, they could do it themselves with not a lot of effort?

I mean they made a ground up new graphics engine for the game, rather than pay Epic(or someone else) for the new Unreal Engine....

You sir, have zero idea if you think Natural Point will just give SOE their code for nothing just because they would have an opportunity of selling more gaming rigs

Lol wow. You know natural point released an sdk to allow devs to include it in their games. The sdk is free. Even if they charged for their software ( whih they dont). They have no legal rights to freelook. Which is all track ir needs to function. You think developing, perfecting,marketing, packaging, shipping their own version of track ir instead of coding 3 lines of freelook code is a better idea? You might need an economics 101 lesson.

You just assuming there is a fee and not researching natural point products or technology just makes you look ignorant. Not cool or smart like you are.attempting to be.

What i really dont get is why you hate the idea so much when you arent going to buy one. Why do you care if its in the game or not?

If others want to enjoy the tech and it might bring even more players to the world of PS. Why would you lobby against it?

Im not asking for it to be the primary control device. Just a device that is supported as much as a joystick would be.

EDIT: You know what I just realized. The sony playstation EYE, is one of the best cameras people use for Facetrack NOIR.

http://facetracknoir.sourceforge.net/home/default.htm.

You can also use Free track

http://www.free-track.net/english/

Its the EYE with third party software that runs great! all for about 20 bucks. Would you use it now since sony made the eye?

Last edited by HoovesMcG; 2012-02-14 at 06:09 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion