Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2013-09-27, 09:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Escroteitor
Private

Computer specs questions

Some time ago I build my own computer. The specs are the following

Phenom x6 (2.8 GHZ 3.0 on turbo)
6 GB ram (single channel 1333mhz)
ATI 5770 1024 GDDR 5 (I have another one but turning on crossfire screw the fps)

I bought that CPU because I though that eventually games will start using more cores. I was wrong, in 2 years most of games run in 2 cores and processor heavy ones run on 4 cores. So I'm having 2 cores laughing at me.

I'm considering buying a new one with 4 cores and more mhz. I have an AM3 socket.

Also I'm considering buying another ram (Actually I have 4gb + 2 gb) And change the 2 gb for a 4 gb for the dual-channel.

My graphic card could be a bottle neck. But I normally have a steady 40-50 fps on medium crowded places, and in large battles I drop to 15-25 fps (depends on the place) and tha games says that the CPU is the bottleneck. Also if I upgrade the CPU maybe the crossfire could do the trick.

Thoughs?
Old 2013-10-27, 10:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
MrSmegz
Sergeant

Re: Computer specs questions

I know this post is a bit old, but Just wait a few weeks, and see what OMFG does for your mulitcore performance. Its looking pretty promising at this point.
Old 2013-10-27, 11:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Re: Computer specs questions

I'd say wait for the optimization (the test server patch is pretty fucking sweet) but DO buy the mirrored RAM stick. PS2 likes fast memory, and going from single channel to double channel will double your memory bandwidth, which is always good.

Also, I run a pair of 5770s in crossfire on one of my rigs. They run well, but you need to make sure a couple of things are taken care of:

1. They both stay within thermal limits. If one starts throttling, the microstutter really hurts.

2. Even though crossfire "can" work with one card in an x16 and another in an x4 slot, the experience is a lot better when they're both at least in an x8 slot.

3. Make sure to have the latest AMD drivers installed (Catalyst 13.8 or later) - they have recently really made a lot of improvements to smooth out crossfire configurations, and it's a lot more silky now. (Still not as good as SLI, but getting there.)

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum