Hostile/Passive Creatures on each Continent - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Oops, I killed Hamma
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you think PS:N should have creatures?
Passive Creatures Only 29 19.08%
No Creatures 60 39.47%
Not sure 11 7.24%
Hostile Creatures Only 2 1.32%
Both Hostile and Passive Creatures 50 32.89%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-04-26, 02:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Sirisian
Colonel

Hostile/Passive Creatures on each Continent

Okay since Planetside is not as far as we thought and there is a new engine then my initial comment about having creatures in the game isn't that unrealistic of a goal.
Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
I fear the game is too far in development for cool stuff like that. Maybe later.
There was a lot of good points listed in the page of discussion if you have time to read after this.

It was mentioned (and because there are pictures) that Planetside originally was going to have creatures wandering around the continents.

I'm thinking it would be sweet to have specialized continent critters just wandering around. They might be simple like birds that flee from players or get hit by planes with no effect. (Or squirrels). Or they might include hostile creatures that make the world more dangerous while fighting.

Seeing as there are deserts, rainforests, tundras, and forests there's a huge variety of creatures that could be wandering around. I'll start by listing some continents and a creature that might go with it.

Ishundar is a desert type continent so a dune or tremor worm (ancient crystal worm?) would be cool. Rock outcrops provide safety. (Obviously sensor shield would nullify this danger while moving in the open, maybe even for vehicles).

Esamir is a tundra continent and could have arctic white cats. They could look like a tigers with the ability to cloak when on the hunt. (Imagine turning on dark light and seeing that when you expected a cloaker was behind you).

Hossin is the rainforest continent and could have raptor type creatures moving around in the trees that would ignore groups of players, but go after single players (sneaking from behind if possible).

Ceryshen is also a tundra place might also have cloaked creatures that leave footprints eerily in the snow.

Oh and Cyssor would have the epic creatures. Like a large 4 legged monster with biological weapons to kill tanks and airplanes. It would wonder in the area between bases and sleep in the warp gates pulling in NTU to power itself.

Some basic concepts in the story would need to be filled in. Creatures are imbued with the power of the warp gates and never die. They simply phase into the world at a later time (without having to spawn at a warp gate). They could even have abilities that are explained by the NTU around the warp gates allowing the creatures to evolve and use it.

Things like base turrets, spitfires, and mines would make quick work of any hostile NPCs wondering into an SOI. They would never be part of a real battle except on the very outside of the SOI.

Overall they'd make the game persistent in that there is a thriving immersive world with life. They'd also change up people's strategies separating verterans from beginners in a simple way. Simply trying to go around the backside of a tower might result in a player getting distracted with a creature for an easier kill by the enemy.

The creatures wouldn't be there to take away from the core game. They'd just be a small addition. I get that this is supposed to be a huge PVP game and adding PVE takes away from that, but ideally it would be subtle and enhance the gameplay adding a little chaos to situations.

I've added a poll so that people can vote and discuss. (The wish list thread makes it hard to get an understanding of how many people life or dislike an idea).

Are there any creatures (with or without special NTU powers) for specific continents or wildlife that you think would be interesting to see? Searhus has hot lava in a volcano so I'm sure something interesting could be done there. (dragons in the volcano Being chased by energy fireball seeking monster in the sky would be interesting by kind of cliche).

Creatures could also be used to limit the effectiveness of certain vehicles or tactics. (Though other than limiting air with a winged creature or a dune worm to snap up load vehicles I can't think of too many ideas). Maybe you can.

// edit: Feb 27, 2012
It's come to my attention there are some misconceptions about hostile creatures. For the same reason bases are defended with automated wall turrets or spitfires in PS1 was to defend and slow the threat of enemies to a new region of the map. The same idea is what creatures would allow but throughout the whole map. People often bring up performance, but creatures don't exist in an area for long when populations increase with real people. That is to say if you are by yourself moving through a forest you'll see them and might get attacked and killed by a hostile creature. But if you're in the middle of a fight they'll all be dead and won't spawn during the fight around players.

So the perceived performance issue is basically non-existent. It cannot be compared to say "we can't have holstered guns because of performance issues". The problem there is they are on soldiers while they fight. So when population in an area goes up they become a problem. For creatures they fill the void where populations are low as an immersive neutral defense.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2012-02-27 at 10:05 PM.
Old 2011-04-26, 03:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Canaris
Contributor
General

Re: Hostile/Passive Creatures on each Continent

No thanks, I don't want PvE in Planetside, I don't mind the concept of having passive animals like birds and things.

plus we already know

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2011-04-26, 07:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Logit
Second Lieutenant

If there was any significant PvE element in PSN I would take a shit, and use the game as toilet paper.
Old 2011-04-26, 07:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Kyonye
Contributor
General

Yes in terms of passive creatures. It would make the environment a little more realistic and fun, but I would prefer not to get attacked by some animal while trying to take a base.

<Smaug> omg kyonye is hot
Old 2011-04-26, 09:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
morf
First Sergeant

Wtf is this Jurassic Park?
Old 2011-04-26, 09:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
kamikava
Private

Passive yes

PvE no
Old 2011-04-26, 10:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Nephilimuk
Master Sergeant

anyone remember Tabula Rasa?

Didn't think so... nothing to see here please move along

(keep the frame rate and processing power to the actions and please don't included fluff - PSN is has to be all about the big playable battles)
Old 2011-04-26, 10:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

No thanks.
Old 2011-04-26, 10:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
otomotopia
Sergeant

Passive creatures, no weird-ass weapons on them though. It'd be interesting to have a tank fight in a grassland area by some heavy rhino-like creatures though. The players startle them and the whole fight gets kicked up a notch, with you watching for and firing on enemy players while dodging charging rhinos. As long as this is not an annoyance but more of a "Well this just got interesting" feature.

Either way, Birds please.
Old 2011-04-26, 10:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Miir
Malvision

Trees = Hostile Creatures

That's enough for me.
Old 2011-04-26, 11:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Redshift
Major

Anytime theres a hack timer with no hotspots killable birds should spawn... give us something to do rather than just /em cabbagepatch
Old 2011-04-26, 11:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Raymac
Brigadier General

Clearly I'm in the minority here, but I'd like to see passive and hostile creatures in the game. Perhaps the hostile creatures could even be like mini-events, some godzilla-like thing trudging through the landscape laying waste to anything in its path.

I'm also one of those very few people that wouldn't mind seeing AI soldiers in some capacity in the game. (Don't flame me for this, I already know you disagree)

I completely understand people's resistance to this, though. "Planetside is a pure PvP game and should stay that way." I can totally see that arguement, so I won't be disappointed if there is no AI at all.
Old 2011-04-26, 11:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

If the development time can be spared then I wouldn't mind seeing creatures around the continents.

Bird flocks that flee from players and can give away positions, herds of creatures that basically act as targets, etc.

I am unsure whether I would want to see hostile creatures; if there are then they should be rare, certainly not getting involved in every fight, perhaps reserved for special events.
Old 2011-04-26, 03:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
Okay since Planetside is not as far as we thought and there is a new engine then my initial comment about having creatures in the game isn't that unrealistic of a goal.

You have no idea it seems.

Who gives a damn about the engine? The Graphics engine matters very little for AI. The important stuff is the AI itself, and the pathing. Planetside had creatures walking around at some point during early testing, but they removed that stuff entirly because of the pathing issues.

Yes, it would be cool tun run over some dogs with your harraser, but the amount of work to make that happen is quite big. And i rather see nothing like NPCs in the game and have the devs focused on other stuff than having the potential chance of some SOE suit going "oh hey, we got AI, why dont we add bots then, as AI and pathing is already there?"

Besides all that, it is a performance impact after all. And as cool it would be to have your 15 reavers taking off together with a swarm of birds, performance is more important. Otherwise you wont have enough players for 15 reavers, but rather 3...
Old 2011-04-26, 04:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Kyonye View Post
I would prefer not to get attacked by some animal while trying to take a base.
Yeah I don't really see them as getting in the way of base fights really. They'd die pretty easily with multiple people and their respawn timers would be pretty long. Their role would be secondary to the actual game.
Originally Posted by Nephilimuk View Post
anyone remember Tabula Rasa?

Didn't think so... nothing to see here please move along
Never played the game. Wasn't that an MMORPG making your comment identical to "Anyone remember World of Warcraft?". I don't get the correlation. Your comment doesn't explain why creatures would hurt an MMOFPS game.

Originally Posted by DviddLeff View Post
If the development time can be spared then I wouldn't mind seeing creatures around the continents.
Yeah that's my general feeling too. There are automatic navigation mesh algorithms I've studied that make quick work of pathing issue problems, but that still does mean that standing on a rock/tree would make it impossible for a creature to hurt you maybe, but that's to be expected causing them to flee or something.
Originally Posted by basti View Post
Who gives a damn about the engine? The Graphics engine matters very little for AI. The important stuff is the AI itself, and the pathing. Planetside had creatures walking around at some point during early testing, but they removed that stuff entirly because of the pathing issues.
I got the impression their new engine is more than a graphics engine. Can you provide a source for that last comment about pathing issues? I never read anything about pathing issues with the AI. Probably something that can be fixed.
Originally Posted by basti View Post
And i rather see nothing like NPCs in the game and have the devs focused on other stuff than having the potential chance of some SOE suit going "oh hey, we got AI, why dont we add bots then, as AI and pathing is already there?"
Slippery slope logical fallacies shouldn't be used in a debate.

The reason I mentioned creatures was because the game is pretty simple by itself. It's just players running around a static map shooting at each other. Would be nice to add something extra to that. At 8 years and a lot of technology upgrades I'd expect a little more. I get that many of the people in this forum are using computers from 8 years ago and that supporting anything over the original system requirements is asking for a lot.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion