looting "makes it alot more of a balance nightmare" - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hold still now....
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-10, 11:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
klu
Corporal

Thumbs down looting "makes it alot more of a balance nightmare"

couldnt disagree with this statement more. i was under the impression that the variety of weapons and how they differ between empires created a balance nightmare and looting helped relieve the problem. i buy the technical reason for getting rid of jacking vehicles but i dont see how it applies to hand held weapons. i suspect this has more to do with the new class system and weapon upgrades.
Old 2011-07-10, 12:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: looting "makes it alot more of a balance nightmare"

There's no inventory (just confirmed on redit).

So much for designing it with us in mind lol, more like removing everything we love.
Old 2011-07-10, 12:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
morf
First Sergeant

I get where he's going with no inventory. They're trying to include badass class-only items/abilities that would be broken with the classic PS1 inspector gadget loadouts. So as you progress down the medic skill tree, maybe your loadout can include a charge that you throw on the ground that sends out a mass electric charge and revives anyone in the area. I pulled that out of my ass but basically, think of the different roles as having badass items that would be gamebreaking if one person had access to several of them at a time.

Anyway that's how I'm interpreting what they are saying.
Old 2011-07-10, 12:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Bags
Lieutenant General

... or just make it so you can't use other people's shit that you're not certed for, sort of how it works now?
Old 2011-07-10, 12:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Reginald
Private

Yeah no looting sucks, with everything else they are doing it looks like they are trying to "modernize" the gameplay, well just about any modern fps, or old fps, for that matter, lets you pick up stuff from the enemies you vanquish, so whats the real dealio SOE??
Old 2011-07-10, 12:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
MooK
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
There's no inventory (just confirmed on redit).

So much for designing it with us in mind lol, more like removing everything we love.
Agree.

No inventory. Traditional classes (pretty much.) No jacking vehicles or using other empires weapons. I'm no longer sold on this.
Old 2011-07-10, 12:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by MooK View Post
Agree.

No inventory. Traditional classes (pretty much.) No jacking vehicles or using other empires weapons. I'm no longer sold on this.
No, there are no traditional classes. It's just a tightening of the cert system.

Originally Posted by "Matt on reddit
the cert system is really, really free-form. You can be as specialized or generalized as you want to be. If you want to put all your advancement time into Reavers you can do that, and you'll have a more maneuverable, durable and powerful vehicle with plenty of options for secondary weapons and fun gadgets. If you want to spread your certification across lots of different things and be more of a jack of all trades, go for it.
Old 2011-07-10, 12:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Grimster
First Lieutenant

Well I would want to keep the inventory system. But they probably have their reasons for removing it and to be honest they need to screw up more badly than that before I start singing the doomsday song.
NEED UPDATES!
Old 2011-07-10, 12:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Mirror
First Sergeant

Getting rid of inventories is a bad idea.

Guess we need to put our point across.

http://www.deltatriad.com
Old 2011-07-10, 12:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
morf
First Sergeant

... or just make it so you can't use other people's shit that you're not certed for, sort of how it works now?
Pure speculation on my part here, but this is how I interpret it:

You may very well BE certified to use an item. Let's take the previous made up example and say that the medic charge requires a level 10 medic. Now maybe you ARE a level 10 medic, but you're currently playing as engineer, so you can't loot a weapon you are certed for. So basically you may be limited to (for the most part) - only looting people from your own class. Now let's say that there is a difference, for example the other empire doesn't have a revive charge, they have a healing beacon instead. Should you be able to loot it and use both? I'm thinking not.

I do mourn the loss of looting but I can see how it might become somewhat of a nightmare determining what you can vs. what you can't loot and could have an impact on learning curve.
Old 2011-07-10, 12:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
MooK
Staff Sergeant

No, there are no traditional classes. It's just a tightening of the cert system.
Nothing I've read so far indicates that the classes will not be based on some traditional class system found in every other game since the dawn of time. Classes are classes. Based upon what I've read collectively from every other aspect, it seems to indicate some level of that traditional base (and I dislike that concept greatly.) Lots of certifications and lots of customization is something I am interested in. Detail, intelligent decision, complexity. I want to level my character up and choose a path of my own. Dumbing it down in general to make it a more "action packed" game isn't interesting to me.

(1:39:52 PM) MooK: it wasn't a "pain" to manage my inventory so that I had to sacrifice medkits for ammo or vise versa
(1:40:18 PM) MooK: it was a tactical decision

Last edited by MooK; 2011-07-10 at 12:47 PM.
Old 2011-07-10, 12:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Bags
Lieutenant General

Nothing I've read so far indicates that the classes will not be based on some traditional class system found in every other game since the dawn of time.

the cert system is really, really free-form. You can be as specialized or generalized as you want to be. If you want to put all your advancement time into Reavers you can do that, and you'll have a more maneuverable, durable and powerful vehicle with plenty of options for secondary weapons and fun gadgets. If you want to spread your certification across lots of different things and be more of a jack of all trades, go for it.
I have for years used the Planetside cert system as an example of an absolutely ingenious and well-executed system, so I'm right with you on it's brilliance. It works incredibly well to let players grow in meaningful but horizontal ways. Our system does a lot of the same things
What you're describing is basically what we're doing. You can switch classes, loadouts, etc situationally. Either when you respawn or at equipment terminals.
-I agree the ps1 had a great system, we're definitely keeping the spirit of that system in ps2. What you won't have is a dude that looks like a medic rolling around with a rocket launcher, or a light assault dude with a jump jet who also can use a chaingun. We're offering a lot of cool, divergent gameplay styles that in a completely freeform style system would be way, way too easy to stack and exploit.
Satisfied?
Old 2011-07-10, 12:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
MooK
Staff Sergeant

Satisfied?
Nope.
Old 2011-07-10, 12:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Bags
Lieutenant General

Nope.
They see mook trollin', they hatin'...
Old 2011-07-10, 12:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
MooK
Staff Sergeant

They see mook trollin', they hatin'...
Are you satisfied with just what you've read so far? Wouldn't you want to know more?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion