Sniper Skill Tree.....Please include Headshots and Prone - Page 15 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: This won't hurt.... much
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-11, 02:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #211
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Re: Sniper Skill Tree.....Please include Headshots and Prone

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
I could count on one hand the amount of times I've come across enemy snipers who were...

- Unflankable
- Not getting shot by other snipers
- Not getting ganked by aircraft
- Not being harassed by cloakers
- Were being a problem (i.e. making a difference to the success of my empire)

The only place in the game I can remember that even being possible was Oro on Searhus.
This.

If hill-humping snipers piss you off and that makes you butt-hurt, and on top of that you're butt-hurt because you can't outsnipe them, then you fucking suck at this game and you fail at life. Trying to adjust the incompetency level by inserting one-shot kill headshots simply annoys the rest of us. Crying about it and trying to convince us that it's an issue to anyone but yourself just pisses people off.

If you don't have any friends with whom you can co-snipe, my suggestion is that you learn how to play the game first of all, and second of all I recommend trying to perfect the Rexo/dual Bolt Driver load-out which allows many people, even amateur gamer snipers, to successfully kill a sniper in incredibly short order. That will resolve your issue with snipers who heal. Hard to heal when you're dead.
Old 2011-07-11, 02:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #212
Bags
Lieutenant General

Prone isn't in the game, but headshots are.

Q: Good Morning Matt. Just a Quick Question..
Prone is it in the game?

[Prone]
Matt: No plans for prone currently.

Half victory.
Old 2011-07-11, 02:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #213
Robert089
Sergeant

Did anyone who played BF:BC2 ever encounter that thing where you'd be on the attacking team and you'd be the only Assault guy trying to destroy the points and literally the rest of your team would just be sniping. They'd have insane k/d spreads but we would still end up losing...

I hope with headshots Planetside doesn't become this.
Old 2011-07-11, 02:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #214
Rarntogo
Corporal

Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
This.

If hill-humping snipers piss you off and that makes you butt-hurt, and on top of that you're butt-hurt because you can't outsnipe them, then you fucking suck at this game and you fail at life. .
Seriously?? Because sniping is something I do not like in Planetside because for the most part, IMO, it serves no real purpose and it is nothing more than an annoyance, it means I fail at life? Really?
Old 2011-07-11, 02:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #215
Rarntogo
Corporal

Originally Posted by Robert089 View Post
Did anyone who played BF:BC2 ever encounter that thing where you'd be on the attacking team and you'd be the only Assault guy trying to destroy the points and literally the rest of your team would just be sniping. They'd have insane k/d spreads but we would still end up losing...

Excellent point! I agree!
Old 2011-07-11, 02:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #216
2coolforu
First Lieutenant

Yeah Bad Company 2 is just infested with snipers, in an average game 50% of the people are sniping and the rest are probably medics and no one moves forward.

Making snipers into killwhores rather than weapons to suppress defenders and force them off the walls and other defensive areas will be a route to disaster for Planetside as the maps are so large and base defenses so chaotic that getting one shotted if you stay still for more than a second (like in Bad Company) could be an unbearable annoyance.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-11, 02:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #217
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

I like the Battlefield-style headshots where they just do 50-100% more damage, but aren't necessarily lethal (sniper rifle's obv lethal with that). It gives you incentive to try to aim for upper-chest and let recoil carry upwards, or incentives to aim better.

Ixnay on the Prone. Battlefield Bad Company 2 showed us that you can make a perfectly awesome game without prone. Battlefield 2 showed us how prone can introduce really lame tactics like dolphin diving, etc. it also benefits camping more than assault. That slows down the game and I don't like that.

Prone is unnecessary and bad. Leaving it out encourages attack and movement.
Old 2011-07-11, 02:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #218
Tigersmith
Major

Misc Info

omg this summed up my time in that game. I was the only one ever to actually go do the objectives. everyone else could care less and just want to kill each other. Even when i was doing these objectives my KD was always higher then those idiots. They dont care. And its very selfish.

Planetside is a huge team game. If you cant work with people go back to CoD

This is what pisses me off time after time in these FPS games now.

Example:
Domination game mode on Call of Duty. The goal of this is to grab flags ..not to run around like team deathmatch. But wait! no one even goes to grab them.

Im sick of stupid people sometimes.

Last edited by Tigersmith; 2011-07-11 at 02:45 PM.
Old 2011-07-11, 02:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #219
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Tigersmith View Post
omg this summed up my time in that game. I was the only one ever to actually go do the objectives. everyone else could care less and just want to kill each other.

This is what pisses me off time after time in these FPS games now.

Example:
Domination game mode on Call of Duty. The goal of this is to grab flags ..not to run around like team deathmatch. But wait! no one even goes to grab them.

Im sick of stupid people sometimes.

This is exatly why i fear headshots and Kill streaks. People care way to much about Kills and deaths. Supporting that will only make the entire territory stuff, the actual meat of planetside, useless. And if i cant have that because most other players just kill each other in a giant 3way fragfest, then planetside 2 is no game for me. I want to command troops, i want to lead the zerg and gain ground, want to make tactical decisions on where we should go, what we should defend, what territory we need to sacrifice in order to take other ground and gain more than we loose (Anyone remember the North East Ishundar Triangle of Dagon, Baal, Akkan?). I want that stuff, badly!
Old 2011-07-11, 02:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #220
Forsaken One
First Sergeant

Headshots will cater to these people

NOT Planetsiders
I'm sure Tigersmith and Firefly will agree with me.
Old 2011-07-11, 02:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #221
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Rarntogo View Post
Seriously?? Because sniping is something I do not like in Planetside because for the most part, IMO, it serves no real purpose and it is nothing more than an annoyance, it means I fail at life? Really?
If you cannot defeat a Planetside sniper by any means at all, then yes. My meaning probably could have been a bit more clear - sorry, I thought I worded it properly enough. What I mean is, if you're getting assfucked by a sniper and you just can't seem to take him out no matter what, you suck.

Let's examine the facts here - this is a video game without one-shot kills except in very limited circumstances. By design, however, no weapon is meant to be an insta-gib as near as I can tell. At least that's the intent that was drilled into us from the first time a developer publicly spoke about the game. Meaning you have just as much of a chance of dying from a solitary sniper as he does from dying to you. He's not prone, he's not wearing a ghillie suit, he's not laying in dense foliage with utter concealment (unless you have the pretty grass and flowers turned on). No, he's kneeling down with a massive cannon pressed to his face and all he can see is in that zoomed-in posture. He has to expose himself above the ridge to fire. Because this game has what, one? hitbox per player, that means shooting him in the hairline is as good a hit as shooting him in the face, the shoulder, the chest and/or the dick. He's firing slower than most other weapons in the game. Even with the other sniper rifle, the veteran reward weapon (I forget its name because it's irrelevant to me). He's at a disadvantage. He's trading damage for rate of fire and he's almost as exposed as anyone else. Pro snipers in Planetside are pro for a reason, and that's picking and choosing their targets and playing smart.

They are not nigh-invincible. I'm not the most elite run-and-gun player out there. I'm an average Joe player who prefers to FPS with a little more brains than skill - so I'm not the greatest, not even a top percentile contender. But I rarely die to a solitary sniper, even in an infiltrator suit. I do, however, count an impressive percentage of my kills as solitary snipers. Why? Because I know how to kill them. It's not rocket science here.

Forcing a one-shot kill headshot mechanic on the rest of us because you fucking suck is an epic fail.

Last edited by Firefly; 2011-07-11 at 02:52 PM.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-11, 02:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #222
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Vehicles change this mechanic, specifically transport vehicles like Galaxies and Deliverers that can absorb some damage and get you through the line. I don't see snipers holding up any significant advance simply due to how rapidly you can cover ground. A gal-drop on a base or tower isn't going to be thwarted by snipers. Nor is a set of tanks & buggies pushing up. You need differnet roles for that.

Snipers aren't anything youw ant to see en masse. And if they do then you just bust out the natural enemy of the sniper - aircraft.

I do hope Liberators make a return. Low altitude carpet bombing of ridges packed with snipers was quite fun.
Old 2011-07-11, 03:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #223
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
A gal-drop on a base or tower isn't going to be thwarted by snipers. Nor is a set of tanks & buggies pushing up. You need differnet roles for that.
What he said. Snipers are anti-infantry and maybe anti-Spitfire. That's about it. Seriously, making them into a bigger threat to the average player with average skill than what they are is just laughable. No offense to you elite gamer-snipers, of course.

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
I do hope Liberators make a return. Low altitude carpet bombing of ridges packed with snipers was quite fun.
I saw one last night. Guy was pretty good, until he realized that low-altitude attracts plenty of AA and Wasps. I'm a fan myself, and I like seeing WW2-esque bomber formations.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-11, 03:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #224
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Liberators were great in the old days and some good strategic bombing could take out hot AMS, suppress a tower, or clear off a wall and help move the battle forward.

They're not so great in a low-population situation. They're suppressive/strategic and don't work so well when there aren't a rich supply of targets ....then they just get shot down becuase the tailgun sucked.

I liked low-altitude as you could use the trees to hide from lock-on weaponry. It worked well against NC and VS, and also against TR until a burster wisened up. Low altitude also allowed you to fly over and drop the bombs and give the target little to no warning before getting owned. It was fun to do this on AA max that stayed in the same spot.

Having a Liberator and being able to upgrade its tailgun with flak rounds or lock-on missiles or something would be fantastic. It wasn't a good deterrant and had a horrible up-angle. A 3 person vehicle needs to be worht the investment and it should take more than a single mosq or wasp to take them down. I'd also like the ability to have the bomber swap positions into the tailgun in-flight.

I should save my liberator thoughts for another thread. Maybe make that my next topic...strategic bombing. Something else I did a ton of in PS.

Last edited by Malorn; 2011-07-11 at 03:29 PM.
Old 2011-07-11, 03:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #225
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

I dunno - I found the tailgun to be adequate. But then if you have more than one Liberator *and* you stay at max altitude where they can't get above you, you should be able to mount a stiff defense. It's not a Flying Fortress with gun coverage everywhere, so in spite of low-altitude being best altitude max altitude is about your only real defense, unfortunately.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion