What are your thoughts on PlanetSide 2 now that you have played? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Click here for the Paris Hilton Video
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-08-31, 10:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Hamma
PSU Admin

What are your thoughts on PlanetSide 2 now that you have played?

So here it is, the thread we have all been waiting for..

You got into beta and have had some hands on time with PlanetSide 2. What are your thoughts? Have all your hopes and dreams been met or would you like to see much more?

Not in beta? Well I have this..

KRJJ-TZRJ-N6GE-CZR3-MG76

Be sure to come back and let us know what you think

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-08-31, 10:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Re: What are your thoughts on PlanetSide 2 now that you have played?

Planetside 2 is probably 10% done content wise. Even in it's Beta state, the game ROCKS. Once you get organized the real fun begins. I see lone wolfs complaining. We run our Air Wing, Armor Team, Rapid Response Team and our Infantry squads all in concert communicating on our Teamspeak server. We coordinate and support each other and we get the job done.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-08-31, 10:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Janzani

Hehee I got the beta key.. Where in the **** is the download link? *goes crazy with excitement and faints*
Old 2012-08-31, 10:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Originally Posted by Janzani View Post
Hehee I got the beta key.. Where in the **** is the download link? *goes crazy with excitement and faints*
www.planetside2.com/download

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-08-31, 10:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Mordicant
Sergeant

Well it's to the point where I am playing then the server shutdown pops up and I go holy hell is it already that time? Where did 5+ hours go.

That being said I really want more unlocks.
Old 2012-08-31, 10:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Aaron
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Well, since Tech Test, the game has already gotten so much better. The devs are always listening to the community and changes are always being implemented based on the feedback they get. It's a true beta and it's being developed upon what we want. A game can only flourish with the type of interaction they have with us.
Old 2012-08-31, 10:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Valcron
Master Sergeant

The game is very simple- If you Love Call of Duty and Battlefield series you will love this game. If you LOVE planetside, you won't love this game- because it's NOT Planetside at all. It's fun to log on for a few minutes but gets terribly boring after a while. PS1 where are you?
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-08-31, 10:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Higby
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Creative Director

Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
The devs are always listening to the community and changes are always being implemented based on the feedback they get. It's a true beta and it's being developed upon what we want. A game can only flourish with the type of interaction they have with us.

Tell the world this. I think were doing something pretty unprescedented (and frankly a little of scary to a lot of people) with how open we've been and how closely we've worked with and integrated our community into this games development. Tell everyone it's what you want out of developers in the future and we (all of us gamers) may get it.
Old 2012-08-31, 10:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Janzani

Originally Posted by EVILPIG View Post
Thank you kind sir! The download button doesn't work though. Now begins another kind of waiting.. Refreshing the page and clicking the button. I'll go and make some coffee.

EDIT: Nevermind... Of course the download link is in the email they sent you and this one works just fine.. I'm such a fool.. I'll go play for a few days and come back to this topic with something constructive to share with all of you and not just off topic beta key excitement..

Last edited by Janzani; 2012-08-31 at 10:49 AM.
Old 2012-08-31, 10:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
wasdie
Second Lieutenant

I'm enjoying it but it has a long way to go before it's ready for version 1.0.

I'm confident in the developer's ability to bring it all together. It's an extremely ambitious project with a very modern way of integrating their community with the decisions they are making. It's almost an experiment.

I've seen what happens to games when the community has too much of a say and I've seen what happens when the community is completely ignored. It's a fine line that SOE is walking but I'm liking the results so far.
Old 2012-08-31, 10:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
ArcGuard
Corporal

I'm having tons of fun.

I still think it was fun to watch people here dance around questions and trying to pretend they didn't have Beta knowledge.

I guess I'll always have the good old days...
Old 2012-08-31, 10:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Valcron
Master Sergeant

Higby, I appreciate the openness and your guys willing to listen. But the fact that you guys still use a class base system instead of an open system kills me.

- There's no inventory system at all
- AMS is gone, and you guys stated you won't be bringing it back in the design meeting.
- Hacking is missing but I'm sure it will be added
- Infiltrators are just terrible in their current state
- The feel of Planetside is pretty much missing, I feel it's just COD redone.
- The lack of vehicles is disconcerting, and the fact that I fun my own tank is just terrible
- The bases are shallow and the capture system isn't compelling. What happened to base walls?
- Base benefits? What is the point in owning any of these bases, they're not giving any benefits at all. Tech plants, amp stations, etc should give good benefits.

There are the big things for me.
Old 2012-08-31, 10:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Haro
Master Sergeant

I think the phrase "it's beta" sums it up for me. The game is obviously not complete, and my experiences with it have varied to a huge degree: at some times, it can be very frustrating (like the original was, at times) but there are other times where it is simply brilliant. It's very promising given how little of the game is properly implemented and balanced.

I look forward to continuing beta and seeing how much the game will grow, because I trust the devs based on what I've seen them do so far, and they've been very responsive for the most part. I also look forward to discussing the game on PSU, because the beta forums were giving me a bit of a headache.
Old 2012-08-31, 10:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

Its definitely improving, the new capture systems should help alot over the currently awful ffa ticket system. The infantry combat is pretty good, a bit too fast but still good. Aircraft seem to be pretty good as well with much better movement over ps1. The graphics are simply amazing, there is no knocking them. I find myself pausing to look at stuff all the time even months after i first got in.

The ground vehicle combat tho is flat out awful. Vehicles have no armor, so you die in seconds, large scale epic fights NEVER happen. You just die before vehicles can mass up and anytime they come in with big groups, they just get decimated in seconds. Its boring and sad to see. Drivers being gunners in the MBT's is terrible, they are boring and weak to keep em balanced for solo play. They move very badly with simple stop, fire til dead or target dies, move, and repeat. You dont get real vehicle movement. No one can do both at once very well so its boring to do and boring to see. Lame instant magical seat switching means you dont need that AA gunner, just switch and fire then switch back. Totally kills the need for teamwork in a game with 2k people, which makes no sense. It should be encouraged not discouraged. Instant in/out and more just make things cheap and uninteresting.

They need to bring back ps1 style vehicles with immersive mechanics such as fixed vehicle slots (no magical seat switching), drivers who dont gun (except for the lightning), and real armor (3x what it is now, minimum of 2x keeping in mind ps1 had 4x what these tanks have). Then we can finally get some epic vehicle fights again. I just dont get this obsession with making everything die so freaking fast. Its boring and means you dont get large scale epic fights which this game should do better than PS1 but currently cant even hold a candle to when it comes to that aspect.
Waiting for the return of the superior, real PS style teamwork oriented vehicles with drivers not gunning, and in fixed vehicle slots so we can once again have real, epic, vehicle battles where the tanks actually move in combat rather than a silly 1700's era line up and shoot.
Old 2012-08-31, 10:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
SeanNewBoy
Corporal

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
Tell the world this. I think were doing something pretty unprescedented (and frankly a little of scary to a lot of people) with how open we've been and how closely we've worked with and integrated our community into this games development. Tell everyone it's what you want out of developers in the future and we (all of us gamers) may get it.
One of the things i really appreciate about PS2 is the dev community involvment, but then i'm a bit spoiled after having played Star Trek Online. The devs there may not be able to help being controlled by companies that have not faith in them but they try and keep open lines of communication.

As for the game it gets better everytime i log on, you guys are doing a great job.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion