Population Density: Guestimations - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: if accidently digested, consult a doctor
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-12, 06:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Tapman
Staff Sergeant

Population Density: Guestimations

CAUTION: MATH AND WORDS AHEAD.

Before I begin, let me first request clarification from a developer. My calculations below are based on my understanding that each CONTINENT would be able to host thousands of players, meaning a minimum of 667 players per faction. The PC Gamer article indicated that it would be 666 v 666 v 666 per SERVER, meaning those numbers would be spread across four continents. I really hope that my assumption is correct, if not then I'll have to re-do my calculations. [/Caveat]

The AGN broadcast and lots of folks have discussed how nobody really has any idea what gameplay will be like once the populations approach the starting maximum, we've seen a few demo scenarios that looked roughly scripted but Higby even stated that they have a hard time knowing how the dynamics will change when the battlefield fills up. There is concern over the "Following" system as Planetside has what is described as the "Zerg" and the few coordinated outfits that really make shit happen. My goal was to try to get a more accurate picture of what the numbers will truly scale up towards, based on the mathematical parameters given.

EDIT: Apparently the math and words below needed a more concise summary. TL;DR: everyone needs to chill the fuck out and wait until Beta to see if it's too spaced out/crowded, and try not to focus on the commanding system becoming a popularity contest based on politics because results won't lie.

My first step was to get estimated distances of the actual front lines. I counted the number of edges each empire had with an enemy on the other side based on the GDC map that we saw, their totals are as follows with T=(length of one hex edge):

VS: 50T
TR: 40T
NC (Main): 42T
NC (Secondary): 26T

In order to find out the actual distance, we have to find T. We solve for it using the equation for the area of a single hexagon, the total area of the continent, and the approximate number of total hexes on the continent. I attempted to count the number of raw hexes each empire controlled from the GDC footage, the VS may have more because we never saw a full view of the north end of the continent but I approximated that there weren't too many more as you can see the VS foothold. My counts were as follows:

NC: 112
VS: 90-95
TR: 96

This gives us 298-303 total hexes for this continent, I rounded that to 300 as we aren't working with that many significant figures. The total (assumed) area of this continent is 64 square kilometers, so therefore:

64km^2/300 hexes = 0.213 square km per hex

Plug this directly into the equation to find the distance of one edge of a hex:

(3/2)*(3^0.5)*T^2 = 0.213

T = 0.286km

Plug T into the front-line distances I noted earlier, and you get the following:

VS: 14.3km
TR: 11.4km
NC (Main): 12.0km
NC (Secondary): 7.4km

I wanted to create a mathematically "Normal" scenario where you have every single soldier at their front lines either attacking or defending with as equal distribution as possible. Assuming each empire has 667 people on the continent, the front-line density is as follows:

VS: 46.6 players/km
TR: 58.3 players/km
NC: 34.3 players/km

Breaking it down even further, you get:

VS: 13.3 players/edge
TR: 16.7 players/edge
NC: 9.8 players/edge

At first glance, these numbers seem low. Looking at the map though, you will note that the contestable edges of hexes varies from one to four, one generally being on the edges of the map and four being towards the middle. Not only that, but there will be times when you have a large hex group that is mostly surrounded, i.e. the southernmost VS territory has 13 edges that are immediately adjacent to enemy territory, meaning that territory would have about 173 players defending it. Another interesting figure to look at is the average distance between friendlies along that front line:

VS: 21.5m
TR: 17.1m
NC: 29.2m

We have been told that 0-20m is close range, 20m-100m is medium range, and 100m+ is long range, assuming you are on foot. I can only imagine the madness that it will be when you throw vehicles and MAX units into the mix.

What I take away from this is that the "Zerg" will most likely become an obsolete and easily countered strategy. It became the standard in Planetside because there were preset pathways to enter continents and often times there were few bases that could be targeted even after you managed to get a foothold on a new continent. In Planetside 2 there will be plenty of fights with hundreds of players on each side in the larger hex groups but any leader who relies on having the biggest swarm will ultimately end up hurting their empire overall, a check and balance to the potential abuse of raw numbers.

Feel free to poke holes in or make fun of my math. I promise to re-do it if I get more specific numbers from a Dev and/or if anyone finds errors or something I didn't notice/account for.

Last edited by Tapman; 2012-03-12 at 07:31 PM.
Old 2012-03-12, 07:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Mirror
First Sergeant

Re: Population Density: Guestimations

I thought it was figgy posting again when I looked at the wall of text and calculations.

/not reading this either.

http://www.deltatriad.com
Old 2012-03-12, 07:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Italize the main ideas, so it's easier to read.

EDIT: I read it and, well, thanks for sharing your thoughs, now I have some food for my brain
EDIT2: Also fights will always be concentrated, this is where objective value and landscape specifics step in.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2012-03-12 at 07:08 PM.
Old 2012-03-12, 07:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
KALU
Master Sergeant

sorry dude, agree to much to read. Please simplify.

Should be very interesting in beta to see it all play out and stress test the shit out of it though. I bet everyone at SOE and PS dev team cant wait for us all to get in and see how it goes.
Old 2012-03-12, 07:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Aurmanite
Captain

And they say this generation can't focus on any one thing for more than a minute...
Old 2012-03-12, 07:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

This is why I hate working in game design. Because I hate math.
Old 2012-03-12, 08:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
StumpyTheOzzie
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Aurmanite View Post
And they say this generation can't focus on any one thing for more than a minute...
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

I thought it was clear, concise, precise and well thought out. Top marks.

Unfortunately, not everybody will be standing "on the edge"

There will be tank columns rolling out of bases and Gals/sundies full or people running about but I understand the spirit of what you're saying and appreciate that it will be more of a front line war than a zerg blobby war.
Old 2012-03-12, 07:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Tapman
Staff Sergeant

My apologies, physics major in college so I didn't think that algebra and unit conversions would be too involved, working up some simpler points to put in the intro.
Old 2012-03-12, 07:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Tapman View Post
My apologies, physics major in college so I didn't think that algebra and unit conversions would be too involved, working up some simpler points to put in the intro.
It's not about the complexity of terms, it's about text indescreetness.

Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2012-03-12 at 07:28 PM.
Old 2012-03-12, 07:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Aurmanite
Captain

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
The what?

On topic:

Looks like there will be a lot of see-sawing across the front line. The empire best able to mobilize the front line and respond to openings/threats will be dominant.

Get to hex 4!
Back to hex 3! Hex 3!
OMG Hex 4!
Old 2012-03-12, 07:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Aurmanite View Post
The what?
As in "monochromy".

Originally Posted by Tapman View Post
I highlighted and size-changed the important bits, better?
Well, I already read it, though, what I meant was highlighting general phrases (maybe with bolds, not italics even) so you can glue them up into one much shorter text. Your text (unlike Figgy's) leaves room for that.

Last edited by NewSith; 2012-03-12 at 07:38 PM.
Old 2012-03-12, 07:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Fortress
Sergeant

I wouldn't count out the zerg just yet. I can imagine most players caring less about the hexes and more about the larger facilities (and the larger fights they will guarantee), resulting in one large blob charging towards the closest base while smaller teams push out the flanks.

But again, wait4beta etc.
Old 2012-03-12, 07:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Tapman
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
I highlighted and size-changed the important bits, better?
Old 2012-03-12, 07:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Did they really say 666v666v666 per server? I was under the impression that that that was a continent based population cap and the servers themselves could grow way larger.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2012-03-12, 08:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
ThGlump
Captain

Originally Posted by DeeTwoEh View Post
Did they really say 666v666v666 per server? I was under the impression that that that was a continent based population cap and the servers themselves could grow way larger.
Very probably each continent will have own server. What we call "servers" are more like worlds, realms call it as you want. So if game will start with 3 continents "server/world" will hold 3x(666v666v666), so you can still count with 2000 per continent.

But pcgamer said up to 666v666v666. Expect to be theoretical max that can server handle now. Can be higher, but expect to be lower. Final pop somewhere like 1500-1800 not 2000.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion