Concerns with squad spawning and Light Assault - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Don't turn around.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-13, 08:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Atheosim
Captain

Re: Concerns with squad spawning and Light Assault

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
I really don't see the problem with allowing squad spawning combined with whatever tools a player gets. However, I have to ask - this is squad leader only spawning, right?
Two restrictions- only squad leaders and only squad leaders that have SPECIALIZED in the squad leader cert tree. I think that involves giving up the ability to cert some other things. So this won't exactly be an ability every tom, dick, jane, janus, harry, fucktwat and dickweed will be rolling around with.
Old 2012-03-13, 08:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Atheosim View Post
Two restrictions- only squad leaders and only squad leaders that have SPECIALIZED in the squad leader cert tree. I think that involves giving up the ability to cert some other things. So this won't exactly be an ability every tom, dick, jane, janus, harry, fucktwat and dickweed will be rolling around with.
That's balanced I think, even if they can get up to high areas. This is a battle we fought in BF3 and lost, they allow squads to respawn on any player.

Curious...SL can't respawn on platoon leader or anything like that, can they?
Old 2012-03-13, 08:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Atheosim
Captain

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
That's balanced I think, even if they can get up to high areas. This is a battle we fought in BF3 and lost, they allow squads to respawn on any player.

Curious...SL can't respawn on platoon leader or anything like that, can they?
Currently platoons do not exist in the game iirc. Will most likely be added later.
Old 2012-03-13, 09:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
StumpyTheOzzie
Second Lieutenant

Is everybody 100% sure that you can be a commander AND light assault at the same time? Please correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe commander is its own class like medic or engineer.

That actually makes sense to me.
Old 2012-03-14, 12:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Nick
Corporal

Originally Posted by StumpyTheOzzie View Post
Is everybody 100% sure that you can be a commander AND light assault at the same time? Please correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe commander is its own class like medic or engineer.

That actually makes sense to me.
Commander is not a class, but a seperate advancement tree like Vehicles etc.
Old 2012-03-14, 12:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
NCLynx
Major

Everyone is so worried about have commanders use squad spawning while in the courtyard of a base. I feel like one of the limitations of squad spawning will be that exactly that can't happen. You couldn't hot drop into the SOI of an enemy base in the original.

I know this is PS2 and not PS1, but still. Also if this isn't already the case I feel like Squad Spawning will be tooled this way eventually in beta.
Old 2012-03-14, 12:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
ratfusion
Corporal

I like the idea of light assault being able to share their mobility with the team, and it requires teamwork and tactics. Why arbitrarily restrict this before we see if it adds a fun new dimension to battle?

I really like squad spawning in the BF series, that mechanic does more to encourage teamwork in pug games then anything else.

I'd also be happy to see an engineer deployable spawn tube open to squadmates/platoon.
Old 2012-03-14, 02:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
StumpyTheOzzie
Second Lieutenant

squad spawning probably has a cooldown from hell anyway and is a triggered use.

I very much doubt that it'll be like a mobile spawn point (from what i gather, this is the BF model)

But Engies should have a spawn point ability.
Old 2012-03-14, 03:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

People, light assault is not limited to one empire. What OP says here is just irrelevant...

EDIT: Also maxes were never intented to spawn on squad leaders, AFAIK. Same way you could never spawn a MAX on an AMS in the original game.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2012-03-14 at 03:35 AM.
Old 2012-03-14, 05:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
StumpyTheOzzie
Second Lieutenant

My old age and senility must have kicked in.
So what if Light Assault isn't restricted to one empire?
How does that make what the OP said irrelevant?
Old 2012-03-14, 06:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
EVILoHOMER
Major

I personally don't like it as in BF you'll be fighting someone and all of a sudden 2 more people spawn and you die, it's dumb. Just have to wait and see how it works in Planetside 2 though, not going to ask them to remove it until I see how it plays out.
Old 2012-03-14, 07:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Originally Posted by EVILoHOMER View Post
I personally don't like it as in BF you'll be fighting someone and all of a sudden 2 more people spawn and you die, it's dumb. Just have to wait and see how it works in Planetside 2 though, not going to ask them to remove it until I see how it plays out.
They're going to be drop pods, so you're not just going to see 2 people magically appear.

Originally Posted by NCLynx
Everyone is so worried about have commanders use squad spawning while in the courtyard of a base. I feel like one of the limitations of squad spawning will be that exactly that can't happen. You couldn't hot drop into the SOI of an enemy base in the original.

I know this is PS2 and not PS1, but still. Also if this isn't already the case I feel like Squad Spawning will be tooled this way eventually in beta.
This is exactly right. Higby has mentioned 45 second spawns for squad spawns whereas other things won't be.

Everyone needs to shut the hell up complaining about new features until they've actually given said new features a chance. There is simply no way we can know how half the new ideas that have occurred in gaming since nigh on 10 years ago. Wait til we see them in game, wait til we know how they're going to work, then they can be tweaked and changed.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com

Last edited by Skitrel; 2012-03-14 at 07:11 AM.
Old 2012-03-14, 08:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Redshift
Major

legitimate tactic is legitimate
Old 2012-03-14, 08:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Nick
Corporal

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
People, light assault is not limited to one empire. What OP says here is just irrelevant...

EDIT: Also maxes were never intented to spawn on squad leaders, AFAIK. Same way you could never spawn a MAX on an AMS in the original game.
How is it irrelevant? It doesn't matter if all empires have it if the mechanic is dumb and ruins fights. It's obviously unfair for the defender if the problems arise as I stated.

Your point makes no sense at all.

If you float in like in BF3 Spawn beacon style then it will be fine, which I assume the Planetside 2 drop pod mechanic is inspired by..

Last edited by Nick; 2012-03-14 at 08:57 AM.
Old 2012-03-14, 09:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Kipper
Captain

I enjoyed this in BF2142 where it was a deployable asset, and you could see drop pods coming in which allowed you to roughtly locate an enemy beacon, and made you want to fight your way to it so that you could liberally apply C4.

Destroying enemy spawn beacons should be worth some decent XP.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion