Higby/Devs: PS2 Linux + Steam Q's - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Please Spam Us
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-18, 11:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #61
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: Higby/Devs: PS2 Linux + Steam Q's

Originally Posted by SpLiTNuTz View Post
Would some one please ask higby if you can buy for removable of class helmets in the cash shop?
You buy Higby Hair, or a Tramell Hat.
Old 2012-06-18, 12:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
You buy Higby Hair, or a Tramell Hat.
Is the Higby Hair pre- or post-beta?
Old 2012-06-18, 12:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
Oryon22
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by SpLiTNuTz View Post
Would some one please ask higby if you can buy removable of class helmets in the cash shop?

Obviously not for infiltrators or maxes but for LA MA HA classes.
Imma call him up brb

Old 2012-06-18, 12:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
dyslecix
Corporal

Originally Posted by Goyo View Post
Develop a direct X api substitute for linux and I am sure most PC developers would gladly make a linux client.

Sadly, until then, linux and gaming will not be friends.
Screw direct X, opengl is wayyyy better.
Old 2012-06-18, 01:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
Falcbe
Private

Originally Posted by Trevellian View Post
This is more of a curious question than anything else, hoping that Higby or any of the other Dev's are able to answer this question and aren't barred from stating a yes or no.

Question1: With all of SOE's other games that are F2P being released on Steam in the past few years, i.e. DC Online, EQ1 and EQ2 among others. What are the chances of there being a Planetside 2 steam client?

Question 2: With the news from valve that there will be a Linux Steam client coming out by the end of the year (or in Valve time, by the end of 2013). Will you be considering a Linux client? I feel like Valve creating the Steam client for Linux brings PC gaming one step closer to being able to ditch Windows OS at some point. I would love to see a Linux Planetside 2 Client to go along with the Steam Linux Client. Please, help to bring about the end of Microsofts monopoly on the PC community.
still after everything, linux is not user friendly, and you do NOT want apple to be producing the primary os for PC. they plan to close up mac os completly like the ipad and iphone are. with as little flexibility and freedom to developers and end users as possible. and they want gaming to move to the ipad and away from the desktop

Last edited by Falcbe; 2012-06-18 at 01:08 PM.
Old 2012-06-18, 01:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
SergeantNubins
Corporal

As this is a pc game, they would be pretty foolish to ignore steam, I think it is the largest single distributor of games, the most well established digital platform and best of all, it actually works. I dont think they should be tied to steam, but they should have the game listed on there as one of their market options.
Old 2012-06-18, 01:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
Trevellian
Private

Originally Posted by Falcbe View Post
still after everything, linux is not user friendly, and you do NOT want apple to be producing the primary os for PC. they plan to close up mac os completly like the ipad and iphone are. with as little flexibility and freedom to developers and end users as possible. and they want gaming to move to the ipad and away from the desktop
Not User Friendly? Have you ever played with Ubuntu? It's an amazingly clean and optimized interface. I'd far prefer to use it over Windows except for the small fact I can't play games without using a Windows emulator/shell program.

I am fully aware that Linux is not a viable OS for Gaming "currently". That is why with the revelation that Valve will be releasing a Steam Linux client, I was wondering if anyone was going to be utilizing it besides indie developers. And as SOE releases games on Steam, just made sense to me to ask the logical question of if they planned on doing either A. A Steam Client at All, or B. Not only on the Steam Client, but Linux to utilize the new Client.

Just thought it would be interesting.
Old 2012-06-18, 02:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
zomg
Staff Sergeant

I'm all for having games released on all platforms. However, something to consider is that it will increase the time-to-market if it needs to be developed with multiple platforms in mind.

Not User Friendly? Have you ever played with Ubuntu? It's an amazingly clean and optimized interface. I'd far prefer to use it over Windows except for the small fact I can't play games without using a Windows emulator/shell program.
Even though it is the same to anyone who is decent with computers, take a non-techy person who is used to Windows and put them in front of Ubuntu (or OS X, which is widely considered user friendly)... Even though they will still have the menus and all, they will be completely lost.

There is some science behind the reasons for this and it will cause people to perceive things as not being user friendly even though it might be.

I could go into a lot of details regarding this but it's probably a bit off topic for this thread
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-18, 02:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #69
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

I am fully aware that Linux is not a viable OS for Gaming "currently".
Ever wonder why Linux never took the world by storm? Because it isn't made for normal people. In the consumer space it is a computer nerd's toy - that's it. Most of the world is normal people which have little knowledge of how computers work or how to manage software packages with ubuntu. You are not a normal person. Computing products are not made for you. Linux is not made for normal people. Its interface is terrible not because it isn't efficient; it is terrible because normal people can't use it, it has terrible support, and it offers nothing to them that the things they are familiar with don't already have.

My wife could not use Linux, nor could my mother, grandfather, brother, or anyone else in my family. But they can all use Windows and/or Macs.

And it will never be viable for gaming. You can keep on wishing though. You'd be better off wishing or searching for UI makeovers for Windows. It won't happen on Mac, because Jobs knows what's best and if you disagree you're doing it wrong.
Old 2012-06-18, 03:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #70
zomg
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Ever wonder why Linux never took the world by storm? Because it isn't made for normal people. In the consumer space it is a computer nerd's toy - that's it. Most of the world is normal people which have little knowledge of how computers work or how to manage software packages with ubuntu. You are not a normal person. Computing products are not made for you. Linux is not made for normal people. Its interface is terrible not because it isn't efficient; it is terrible because normal people can't use it, it has terrible support, and it offers nothing to them that the things they are familiar with don't already have.

My wife could not use Linux, nor could my mother, grandfather, brother, or anyone else in my family. But they can all use Windows and/or Macs.

And it will never be viable for gaming. You can keep on wishing though. You'd be better off wishing or searching for UI makeovers for Windows. It won't happen on Mac, because Jobs knows what's best and if you disagree you're doing it wrong.
This may have been true some years ago but today's Linux is quite fine on desktop even for "normal people". It's just a matter of them getting used to it.

The reason your mom or bro has problems with it is because they have always used Windows and Linux is different from what they are used to - Not necessarily an indication of it being bad. Assuming they had always used Linux (let's pretend it was user friendly back in the day) they would not have problems with it

For the record, my mom was completely lost in OS X (which again is often thought as a user-friendly OS) although she can use Windows XP and Windows 7 just fine. I'm sure she could have handled it after getting used to it first though.

Also, I don't think Steve Jobs is disagreeing with anyone much lately

(Of course there are those Linux distros which are for nerds and not exactly the prime example of user friendliness, but not all of them are like that)

Last edited by zomg; 2012-06-18 at 03:15 PM.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-18, 03:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #71
RadarX
PlanetSide 2
Community Manager

The current plan is to release PlanetSide 2 as a PC client. There are no plans for Linux at this time.

Steam? You never know. However right now our plans are to release through our own launcher.

This doesn't mean either of these will never happen, just not right now.
Old 2012-06-18, 03:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #72
Thoreaux
Corporal

Originally Posted by zomg View Post
Also, I don't think Steve Jobs is disagreeing with anyone much lately
They've got his brain on a robot body, a la Futurama's Robo-Nixon.

Seriously, if it were anybody, it'd be Jobs.
Old 2012-06-18, 06:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #73
Hyperz
Private

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
The current plan is to release PlanetSide 2 as a PC client. There are no plans for Linux at this time.

Steam? You never know. However right now our plans are to release through our own launcher.

Linux and Mac are as "PC" as Windows you know .

Anyway, I do hope somewhere down the road we get Linux support. Linux needs to get out of the current chicken-or-the-egg situation when it comes to games. A F2P game as good as PS2 would go a long way. Also, while Linux is indeed a small market compared to Windows, something like PS2 would dwarf all current Linux games. In other words you would dominate that market completely, while in Windows you're always competing with 9001 other games. Lastly, it has been shown that on average Linux users are willing to spend way more money for the same software than Windows users.
Old 2012-06-18, 08:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #74
RNFB
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post

No Steam = enormous amount of potential players lost
Old 2012-06-18, 08:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
Goyo
Private

Originally Posted by RNFB View Post
No Steam = enormous amount of potential players lost
PS2 is a free to play game. SOE would have to pay valve for PS2 to be on steam. Valve would make no money off of downloads because it is free to play therefore SOE would make no backend money off of points.

So, unless Valve is interested in a one time payment from SOE for Valve to use steam and its bandwidth to distribute PS2 it is not happening. At this point I do not think SOE needs steam. On the other hand more players in game potentially visiting the cash shop is advantageous to SOE.

I think I just had an anurism. =/

Would the money SOE pays Valve for PS2 to be on steam be less than or equal to the revenue generated from steam players buying station cash?

Last edited by Goyo; 2012-06-18 at 08:37 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion