Battles in space for the future - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I like your socks, might I fondle them?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-14, 07:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Stardouser
Colonel

Battles in space for the future

Have the devs ever expressed any interest in space combat? I mean, if it were possible you'd want to see dropships entering an atmosphere, but that's probably NOT possible. However, what might be possible is if there were orbital space defense stations that you had to capture before you could begin an assault on a planet.

Capital ships that can spawn light bombers and fighters, breaching pods that can drill through the wall of an enemy capital ship or space station, and, if your advance breaching pod teams can get the docking bay shields down, you could land Galaxy transports right in the docking bay of a capital ship or space station.

I mean, there could be varying tactics, for example, against an enemy capital ship, hammer away at its shields and then its hull until it's destroyed, send in breeching pods to get some stealth teams in there to get the shields down faster, etc. Heck, individual stealth soldiers could possibly use EVA suits to make assaults...

anyway, I'm sure it's not on the table for release but what about 3 years from now as an expansion?
Old 2012-03-14, 08:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
WiteBeam
Second Lieutenant

Re: Battles in space for the future

They have mentioned it as a possibility for future implementation. It wouldn't have to be any different than how they added core combat to PS. Just this time it could be in mother ships instead of caves.
It wouldn't be hard to write into the story. I just hope they don't feel the need to remove a continent altogether to do it like they did with oshur.
Old 2012-03-14, 08:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Figment
Lieutenant General

I have some constructive critique, this title could have been more dramatic, for instance:

"Battles, in SPACE, for... THE FUTURE!"

That said, it would basically be the opposite of what EVE is doing. Could feel like copy-catting.
Old 2012-03-14, 08:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
I have some constructive critique, this title could have been more dramatic, for instance:

"Battles, in SPACE, for... THE FUTURE!"

That said, it would basically be the opposite of what EVE is doing. Could feel like copy-catting.
The thing about Eve is that you don't actually use, I believe it's actually called "twitch combat" to fly your ship, you fly your ship through indirect commands. I HATE that. I'd be playing Eve right now if I could tolerate that control style...if anything it might be copying Jumpgate, a dead franchise.
Old 2012-03-14, 08:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

I've always envisaged a potential direction for Planetside to go would be to have every server be a unique planet, allowing players and outfits to compete cross server. This would add a persistence to absolutely everyone playing the game, together, as one community playing one game as opposed to individual servers essentially playing lots of different games on the same world.

Not really possible for Planetside 2 I'm guessing, but perhaps for the future. Shit, that's thinking small for the future, qubits are right around the corner.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
Old 2012-03-14, 10:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Unforgiven
Corporal

i think space combat was mentioned as an idea for the future, and i would defiantely enjoy it! but the problem could be that many gamers (such as higby himself) are not really that good at flying. so it would be somewhat of a turn off, to some players, just like the caves were in PS1.

dont get me wrong, i would really love to see it happen!
Old 2012-03-14, 10:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
i think space combat was mentioned as an idea for the future, and i would defiantely enjoy it! but the problem could be that many gamers (such as higby himself) are not really that good at flying. so it would be somewhat of a turn off, to some players, just like the caves were in PS1.

dont get me wrong, i would really love to see it happen!
Well, not all of it is flying...if it were my vision, there'd still be plenty of infantry combat in space...you'd have to secure the orbital station before commencing ground assaults after all.
Old 2012-03-14, 11:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
artifice
Staff Sergeant

I don't think you should require space combat, but it would be a nice addition.

You could also have battles over asteroids, moons, and planets that aren't Earth-like as well.

Last edited by artifice; 2012-03-15 at 12:02 AM.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-15, 12:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Yes, actually...

From the article here:http://www.fpsguru.com/game/284/feat...t-SyndCon.html

He also alluded to EVE Online’s outside-in approach in that they started with space and have since created on- planet game play while their plans are inside-out, with plans for space game play in the future.

“We will start with a single planet and continent,” said Smed, “then add more continents, and eventually planets.”
Old 2012-03-15, 12:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Stardouser
Colonel

There's no way it can be done right now but someday I seriously hope to see a space combat MMO where you can actually jump to hyperspace/FTL in real time, whether that's to enter combat, escape combat, etc.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-15, 12:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
There's no way it can be done right now but someday I seriously hope to see a space combat MMO where you can actually jump to hyperspace/FTL in real time, whether that's to enter combat, escape combat, etc.
You should look into EVE Online, you can do that in that game today.
Old 2012-03-15, 12:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
You should look into EVE Online, you can do that in that game today.
I have looked into EVE, it's indirect flight control and I really can't stand playing it that way.
Old 2012-03-15, 12:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

If they get together with the people that made Shattered Horizon to do a space expansion I will do a little ***.
Old 2012-03-15, 01:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Highwind
Corporal

The problem with "space combat" ideas is the same problem with "naval combat" ideas. If you distract people from the core gameplay of Planetside 2 in a significant way there will be only downsides in the end.

People will either like or hate the new "mini-game" that has been built onto the existing world. If people like it, then it won't have enough features or depth satisfy them; if people dislike it, then it will be pulling population from the perfectly good game that existed before the update. The playerbase as a whole won't be happy with an addition like this because it is too dissimilar to what everyone signed up for in the beginning, in my opinion.

I feel like Core Combat in Planetside 1 suffered from this effect, mainly due to the addition of BFRs on top of the new environment. The caves alone should have been ok, mixing up scenery and forcing slight gameplay changes in close quarters combat etc, but the BFRs changed the core of Planetside gameplay irreversibly from Tanks, Air and infantry to include a 4th unique area BFRs.

If you start throwing around situational vehicles like "space ships", "motherships", "boats" or "naval gunships" you distract from Planetside the same way BFRs did in my view.

The best and only way to add "space" to planetside would be to focus on space-PLATFORMS, aka spacestations that are large enough to be continent size and are effectively just that, another continent but with a harsh visual update to include a space-skybox, and replacing "water" with "empty space" you can fall through and die like a bottomless pit in a mario game. The space-platform could orbit auraxis, or it could be the surface of another planet/moon, but most importantly it should have the same core gameplay as any other continent taking and holding land/bases using tanks, air and infantry. If you want to get fancy you can reduce gravity on the Platforms, but they should effectively be the same as land, just look really cool, the example that comes to mind is the Space station at the start of Metroid Prime if that was blown out with more open "air" connecting platforms to roll tanks on, and extra bases etc.
Old 2012-03-15, 01:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Full of Fail
Private

I love Shattered Horizon, but adding that kind of combat would be significantly different from the current PlanetSide gameplay. It probably wouldn't be the best use of development resources. Maybe combat like the game "Eternal Silence" could work (e.g. flying around, boarding enemy ships), but I would worry it could turn into "Core Combat in space," which might not be a good thing. But overall, I feel like this idea has some potential to go wrong.

Maybe I'd change my mind in a few years, but I think I'd rather them focus on continuing to make the main aspects of PlanetSide better, by adding new weapons, vehicles, continents, and fun things to do. If they're going to bring space elements into it, perhaps supporting elements would be better, e.g. a space station sanctuary for each empire, where you can launch drop-pods onto the planet. Not sure if actual space combat would fit well.

Last edited by Full of Fail; 2012-03-15 at 01:31 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion