Scathing criticism at Gamespot - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Shucks.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-08-31, 08:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
zerozeroseven
Private

Re: Scathing criticism at Gamespot

Originally Posted by Dartan View Post
Also comments like these below that video don't look very promising-
I asked nicely for their beta key
Old 2012-08-31, 09:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Hamma
PSU Admin

It's not a leak anymore the press have been given the green light to talk about PlanetSide 2 and entered into beta.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-08-31, 09:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Higby
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Creative Director

I don't think I'd categorize that as 'scathing criticism' by any stretch. He mentioned that the game is epic and awesome, but needs some systems to help direct and organize on a large scale. I'd say that's pretty fair, we do need more systems to allow commanders to coordinate and organize at a high level, we're building them, and in fact he mentions that the mission system is coming soon.
Old 2012-08-31, 09:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
vipjerry
Private

Its crazy and ridiculous to let some no-body on Gamespot publish review on game in closed beta.
Old 2012-08-31, 09:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Hamma
PSU Admin

Thanks for the reply Higby! All the things he mentioned are things you guys have been talking about for some time as well, so I guess for us who have been following every single detail this review seems rather disconnected.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-08-31, 09:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
EvilNinjadude
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
I don't think I'd categorize that as 'scathing criticism' by any stretch. He mentioned that the game is epic and awesome, but needs some systems to help direct and organize on a large scale. I'd say that's pretty fair, we do need more systems to allow commanders to coordinate and organize at a high level, we're building them, and in fact he mentions that the mission system is coming soon.
I was about to say this: I don't get why everyone here is getting worked up about this! He talks about them as things that people should watch out for, and balances the good with the bad...
and then he even says that the bad stuff is likely to get fixed, this being beta!

What did you guys expect, instant 10/10 rating and a complaint that this game is ready and should be released?
Old 2012-08-31, 09:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

OK, that's pretty worrying right there, it's basically just like saying get a guild for Team Fortress 2 or any other game, which means 90% will not be able to do it and the game for most people will suck bad.

I feel like saying "get in a organized outfit" is pretty dishonest when everyone knows that most people will not know how to do this, just like in every other game.

Also how is that related to the features he proposed which are in other games?
Having a outfit in PS1 or PS2 is far different IMO compared to other games. The difference between playing without having one is like playing two different games. What made PS1 in the first place was having outfits to make the game play that much better. The majority of people joined outfits in the original and I'm willing to bet this will be the same with PS2. I say get in a good outfit because you are playing the game the way its meant to be played, not lone wolf style (game will get boring if you do that IMO).

I don't think people will have issues joining up eventually with outfits either. With people recruiting in message boards (official and fan), spamming recruitment messages in game, and if there is a in game community page to help new players join a outfit it should be all set.

Still remains to be seen what the mission system will offer in terms of organized game play, but I still don't see it going to the level that we with outfits. Regardless a system like this is needed to help guide people with what to do.

Some comments there say vehicle over usage killed PS1, is this true?
This is not true at all. What made PS1 great was the use of infantry, air, and vehicles. You could do any style when you wished to the majority of time.

Originally Posted by EvilNinjadude View Post
I was about to say this: I don't get why everyone here is getting worked up about this! He talks about them as things that people should watch out for, and balances the good with the bad...
and then he even says that the bad stuff is likely to get fixed, this being beta!

What did you guys expect, instant 10/10 rating and a complaint that this game is ready and should be released?
I didn't care for the guy's tone really. He made it sound as if all this should already be there and that the game wasn't on the level of others games in "beta" state. The current trend is that games in recent times with betas are really just glorified demos for everyone try, which creates a state of mind that all games should be on this level. PS2 beta is completely different compared to say BF3's that we saw around this time last year with the game being almost ready to launch at that point. I have my share of complaints also, but I didn't have the expectation of everything already being perfect from the get go.

Last edited by Goku; 2012-08-31 at 09:35 AM.
Old 2012-08-31, 09:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
EvilNinjadude
Second Lieutenant

And his tone tells me that the reviewer knows that.
The only problem arises when HIS viewers don't.

And it's that standard that people have built up: If it's different, it must be bad, even if it is actually the way it should be done. And if this beta is truly a beta, only that concept has unfortunately been tossed out the window by other developers.

And that's why we have an NDA.
Old 2012-08-31, 09:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
julfo
Sergeant

I don't think ANY review should be taken to heart like this until close to launch.. until the point where everything is polished, almost everything is subject to change. He gave some criticism, but it was constructive and came alongside compliments as well.

In any case, most people who see that video and are interested in FPS' will probably check out Planetside 2, realise that it is epic, and forget about the few issues that currently exist.
Old 2012-08-31, 09:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Gortha
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by vipjerry View Post
Its crazy and ridiculous to let some no-body on Gamespot publish review on game in closed beta.
/sign

I think so too. Too early to let the press talk about Beta internals
or state of the game.

http://z0r.de/1573
Old 2012-08-31, 10:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Canaris
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
Yeah I was about to post the same thing, OP you really need to stop with the tabloid half assed journalism headline, in no way was that a "scathing criticism"

That was rather a neutral approach from someone who's played a few days of beta and hasn't gotten to terms with all the other features of how to quickly get back to the action.

Actually I think it was a rather good review of the closed beta.

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2012-08-31, 10:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Dartan
Corporal

Originally Posted by Canaris View Post
Yeah I was about to post the same thing, OP you really need to stop with the tabloid half assed journalism headline, in no way was that a "scathing criticism"
The title is actually referring to responses to that video of people who even played longer than the reviewer.
Old 2012-08-31, 11:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

Some comments there say vehicle over usage killed PS1, is this true?
No that was the best part of ps1. The terrain just didnt support infantry outside very well. Wasnt so much the vehicles. PS2 has far better terrain and makes infantry fighting much easier in all but the most open environments which is intentional so we have a good variety.

Plus, ground vehicles suck in ps2 atm anyway, you have no reason to fear them as infantry, too easy to kill with the paper thin armor they have. Two rockets and the biggest tank they have is done for, its laughable. I personally see little reason to even get in one other than to move faster.

Honestly, ps1 did ground vehicle combat much better. We wont even see large scale ground fights in ps2 until they buff the armor big time, you just die too fast to ever last long enough for big fights to form or to even live more than a second in such a fight. So until the armor gets buffed big time to much better levels, you really cant tell too much.
Waiting for the return of the superior, real PS style teamwork oriented vehicles with drivers not gunning, and in fixed vehicle slots so we can once again have real, epic, vehicle battles where the tanks actually move in combat rather than a silly 1700's era line up and shoot.
Old 2012-08-31, 11:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Canaris
Contributor
General

The title is actually referring to responses to that video of people who even played longer than the reviewer.
are you talking about the responses under the video?.... as I only see 1 negative & 1 troll

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2012-08-31, 11:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
Maybe this guy should play with a properly manned organized outfit before saying all this junk too. This game isn't really meant to be playing lone wolf in the first place.
Think of who plays: solists, small groups, mediocre size groups and zerggroups.

If ANY of these is not viable, the game is poorly designed and will lose subscribers swiftly. Currently only the last two are possible, so I'm more than a little worried. Especially since I fall in between the first two groups being an infil in a small outfit.

Last edited by Figment; 2012-08-31 at 11:21 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion