Boarding and Exiting animations in Planetside 2 - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where god is underpowered
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you want boarding/exit animations?
Yes, I would like to see them kept. 351 80.14%
No, I think they should go. 18 4.11%
Don't care either way. 69 15.75%
Voters: 438. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-11, 12:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Zulthus
Colonel

Re: Boarding and Exiting animations in Planetside 2

I would really like to see animations stay, as well as toggleable headlights/engine/extensive cockpit view. Just saying.
Old 2011-07-11, 12:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

Yeah at very least somethin like morf said, needs a delay, its a big game changer when its instant in/out. Trust me, ive done (and still do) some horribly lame and cheap things in BF because they are too stupid to put in animations. Really kills gameplay and immersion doin it but it works, so people will do it.
Old 2011-07-11, 12:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Sifer2
Major

Yeah when going to Battlefield this was one of the biggest things I missed. It seems like a small thing of no significance. But I really liked it. Few games bother to do it but its awesome.

An yeah it does cut down on some stupid cheese you can do when you have instant teleport inside vehicle powers. Planetside is fondly remembered I think because of a lot of unique an awesome things it did. An for me this is one of them.
Old 2011-07-11, 01:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Grimster
First Lieutenant

Same here won't break the game for me but would be nice to have them around as this made it feel like Planetside.
NEED UPDATES!
Old 2011-07-11, 01:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Raymac
Brigadier General

Of course we all want it, but if they have a limited animation budget, where would you start your cuts? You can still have a delay for jumping in your vehicle in other ways.
Old 2011-07-11, 01:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
IceyCold
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
Of course we all want it, but if they have a limited animation budget, where would you start your cuts? You can still have a delay for jumping in your vehicle in other ways.
Of course there can be budget issues, and once again I doubt for anyone here it is truly a deal breaker.

This poll is simply to show the Devs that this is something the players enjoyed and if there is any way it could be implemented within reason that it is something they should shoot for to further better the game.
Old 2011-07-11, 02:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Volw
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by IceyCold View Post
Of course there can be budget issues, and once again I doubt for anyone here it is truly a deal breaker.

This poll is simply to show the Devs that this is something the players enjoyed and if there is any way it could be implemented within reason that it is something they should shoot for to further better the game.
True, but the survey question and answers are biased.

It's like asking 'would you like to pay more taxes' and simple yes/no as an answer.
All that matters is that there is enough freedom, and enough fuckers to kill, in the game that Renegade Legion can do our thing. If there is that, then the rest of the game shall be bent to our will, just like the first one was. - Hovis [RL] on PS2

Renegade Legion
http://forums.renegade-legion.org
Old 2011-07-11, 03:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
IceyCold
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Volw View Post
True, but the survey question and answers are biased.

It's like asking 'would you like to pay more taxes' and simple yes/no as an answer.
I don't see how they are biased at all.

This is a poll simply asking people's opinions mate.

First off we have no idea what is or is not in the budget or any of the internal workings of the company, therefore having an option like "Yes if it is plausible" is redundant to say the least. It really is in fact a YES or NO question. Do you like the idea of animations? Yes or No? You can easily post (as many others have in this thread) WHY you chose that option. There is no need to try to have an option for every possible answer or thought.

Secondly, I have put up very BROAD answers. I didn't put up options like: "Yes because the game will suck without them" and "No because I want a rush product now!" Things like that are biased answers.

I simply posted this poll for the Devs to see how the current player base from Planetside 1 felt in regard to this feature, thus giving them more info on something they might have honestly thought wasn't a big deal or might have been a nuisance to players. I whole heartedly hope the Devs would read this thread and take that info along with the Poll and their own internal afairs to judge whether or not it is a worthy feature to include.
Old 2011-07-11, 03:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Volw
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by IceyCold View Post
I don't see how they are biased at all.

This is a poll simply asking people's opinions mate.

First off we have no idea what is or is not in the budget or any of the internal workings of the company, therefore having an option like "Yes if it is plausible" is redundant to say the least. It really is in fact a YES or NO question. Do you like the idea of animations? Yes or No? You can easily post (as many others have in this thread) WHY you chose that option. There is no need to try to have an option for every possible answer or thought.

Secondly, I have put up very BROAD answers. I didn't put up options like: "Yes because the game will suck without them" and "No because I want a rush product now!" Things like that are biased answers.

I simply posted this poll for the Devs to see how the current player base from Planetside 1 felt in regard to this feature, thus giving them more info on something they might have honestly thought wasn't a big deal or might have been a nuisance to players. I whole heartedly hope the Devs would read this thread and take that info along with the Poll and their own internal afairs to judge whether or not it is a worthy feature to include.
IIRC Hiby already said they don't have the budget for them.

Now onto the survey:

'Do you want boarding/exit animations?' and giving a simple yes/no answers can be considered as unethical by any researcher / analyst. It's a gaming forum I know and I'm being anal about it, but still.

You could survey your workplace with a similar survey and ask - 'Would you like to earn more?' 'Yes/no' and then go to your boss and tell him you want to get paid more ;-)

There is a huge grey area between 'I want animations' and 'no, I don't want them'. Which you can even see in the answers.

If you wanted a truly reliable survey, the question could be 'How crucial vehicle boarding/exiting animations is to you' with qualitative 1-5 answers, with 5 'it's a crucial feature and will affect my purchasing decision' etc...
All that matters is that there is enough freedom, and enough fuckers to kill, in the game that Renegade Legion can do our thing. If there is that, then the rest of the game shall be bent to our will, just like the first one was. - Hovis [RL] on PS2

Renegade Legion
http://forums.renegade-legion.org
Old 2011-07-11, 04:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Kran De Loy
Captain

Oh yes, definitely. A big part of the animations, imo, was that they keep the immersion in the game from breaking.. as much. Seeing people just appear and disappear near vehicles has always been slightly jarring to me.

Tho in the end it's all fluff really.

That said, I would love dearly to see something a step up from those.

Example would be a MAX activates Galaxy transport pod, the pod opens than the MAX hops in. As the Pod Doors finish closing the MAX suit into their claustrophobia inducing little pocket of metal plating, a screen flickers to life on his HUD that is linked to a camera located on the outside of the ship. All the while the animation never break first person.

Mechanic wise the boarding animation switches the player control from the MAX to a simple video feed located somewhere on the outside of the vehicle and back again when the MAX exits.

Pro: Really, really awesome immersion.

Cons: It would take a a large toll on developer and client resources likely better spent else where. Also having the option to use Third Person camera when in a vehicle would be very belittling to the time and efforts the devs put into making such a immersive effect.

Last edited by Kran De Loy; 2011-07-11 at 05:05 AM.
Old 2011-07-11, 04:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Kran De Loy
Captain

If you wanted a truly reliable survey, the question could be 'How crucial vehicle boarding/exiting animations is to you' with qualitative 1-5 answers, with 5 'it's a crucial feature and will affect my purchasing decision' etc...
Actually this is pretty spot on. I would go with 1.5, personally.

Last edited by Kran De Loy; 2011-07-11 at 04:15 AM.
Old 2011-07-11, 04:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
IceyCold
Master Sergeant

IIRC Hiby already said they don't have the budget for them.

Now onto the survey:

'Do you want boarding/exit animations?' and giving a simple yes/no answers can be considered as unethical by any researcher / analyst. It's a gaming forum I know and I'm being anal about it, but still.

You could survey your workplace with a similar survey and ask - 'Would you like to earn more?' 'Yes/no' and then go to your boss and tell him you want to get paid more ;-)

There is a huge grey area between 'I want animations' and 'no, I don't want them'. Which you can even see in the answers.

I was not part of said discussion therefore I did not know about the budget issues. Since no one had yet given any source for the budget issue in any thread I had seen it brought up in I gave it no ground.

As to the point of your post, I started the poll simply to see people's thoughts on the animations, I expected people to be able to use the reply button on the thread to post their reasons for why they chose their answer. This was not a poll designed to prove that Planetside 2 would succeed/fail without them, instead one to ask the very simple question "Did you like the feature?" Honestly I felt it was better to allow people to hit yes or no and then explain it in their own words, and did not think that a thread meant as a simple discussion for the Devs to look over needed to have options like "No I won't buy this game without them." when there is a perfectly good area to give a specific reason for the answer you gave.

I'm sorry if I somehow made you think I was trying to make a biased poll, that
was far from my intention. Could the poll be much more in depth with a broad analysis of this forum's spending habits in correlation with this said feature? Yes. Did I feel that was needed more than a simple poll asking whether or not people LIKED that feature in Planetside? No.
Old 2011-07-11, 04:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
hippieschuh
Private

Of course I wan them!

But Id rather play the game 2 Months early then to wait for the animations beeing done^^
Old 2011-07-11, 05:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

I can see why this would be one of the first things to go on a tight budget, character animations are always a lot of work especially when they have to be done for dozens of vehicles. Will be interesting to see how this pans out if you can get into and out of vehicles instantly, I guess with the lack of vehicle hacking and faster pacing it's not so much of a problem anymore.
Old 2011-07-11, 10:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Lithious
Private

Of course they should implement proper boarding and exiting animations to PS2! I remember it from PS and it was a really neat feature. Even if the whole game gets delayed a few months its totally worth it!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion