Footholds Archetypes: "Food for Thought" - Page 7 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Is Sponsored By Spam�
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: What Homecont Archetype do you prefer?
1 64 47.41%
2 30 22.22%
3 17 12.59%
4 42 31.11%
5 13 9.63%
My own (see below) 5 3.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-16, 06:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #91
Zenben
Master Sergeant

Re: Footholds Archetypes: "Food for Thought"

I haven't read through the whole thread, so maybe someone has already posted it, but I came here with an idea to post this and found this thread, so it's going here.

What if, every week at a set time (maybe during weekly maintenance if there is such a thing in PS2) all bases go neutral and the footholds rotate? If it's not during a maintenance, make it during off-peak hours. I'm honestly not all that psyched about being stuck fighting from the same angle on each continent until the end of time. Really think this would liven up the fights, and eliminate the issue of any imbalance created by the terrain, if such an issue were to pop up.
Old 2012-06-16, 07:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #92
Dagron
Captain

Yeah, there are some ideas about that in the thread.
Malorn in particular has some nice suggestions about dynamic foothold models just one or two pages ago, you should check them out.

One thing you said i didn't really care for though: making all the bases neutral at one point in time. This would pretty much end the game's persistence aspect, apart from character progression.
Old 2012-06-16, 07:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #93
Zenben
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Dagron View Post
Yeah, there are some ideas about that in the thread.
Malorn in particular has some nice suggestions about dynamic foothold models just one or two pages ago, you should check them out.

One thing you said i didn't really care for though: making all the bases neutral at one point in time. This would pretty much end the game's persistence aspect, apart from character progression.
Sooo, if the bases didn't go neutral but the footholds rotated, would you just have enemy footholds appear behind all your territory? Not sure how that would work, which is why I suggested the bases go neutral.
Old 2012-06-16, 07:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #94
Dagron
Captain

No idea how to solve it, just pointing out a problem with your suggestion.
Old 2012-06-16, 07:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #95
SniperSteve
First Lieutenant

I am really concerned that option 1, which is what they have now, will basically be a fight right in the middle of each continent.

Option 3 gives a good balance of player/server and the ability to choose tactically what continent you want to invade.
Old 2012-06-16, 07:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #96
SniperSteve
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Dagron View Post
Yeah, we really cannot have a 'reset'. There must be some other mechanic whereby the home areas change.
Old 2012-06-16, 08:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #97
Stew
Major

the first one is the only way to go to ensure a (( fair )) dispersion of all 3 factions around the all 3 continents but when they will ad just 1 continents per continents this could create little imbalance in the foothold emplacement if they do not make it 33 % 33% 33% distance between eachothers
Old 2012-08-06, 01:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #98
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

I'm ressurecting the thread, so you can look at some pictures and get your brains working, so you won't turn into Zombetas saying "*Growl*Beeeetaaa... We want Beeeeta*Growl*"

EDIT: I also advise reading the topic, it has good lots of interesting discussion.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2012-08-06 at 01:42 PM.
Old 2012-08-06, 02:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #99
AbysmalMax
Private

1. I disliked "home continents" in PS1. That way there was not too much action going on if no outfits were around on the home continents. I would like it to always be a stalemate, and for battle to continue forever. IMO.
Old 2012-08-06, 05:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #100
Tuoweit
Private

Two thoughts.

First, I disagree with the main complaint about the current model (#1), that being that it will lead to constant stalemates. This is only true if you think of the "front line pressure" of each of the factions as being equal in all directions, like 3 balloons expanding from their respective footholds - but in actual gameplay the situation will be a lot more fluid, I think, especially with a faction's efforts being directed and maneuvered by the Mission System (initially by the server, and hopefully in the future by players invested in commanding). The only limitation on the free fluidity of the front lines would be the "anchor" of each faction's foothold, but without (as far as I know? I haven't devoured every single bit of data that's been thrown out there) the need to trace any kind of supply line back to the foothold for resource control, even that is not an insurmountable factor.

Secondly, I disagree that equal access through footholds to every continent will kill any kind of global metagame. Although there may be less structure to it, I'm going to assume that there will always be some (hopefully substantial) headroom so that a faction can't poplock all the continents at once (otherwise - it would suck to log in and not be able to actually play!). This means that the global metagame would be more about being able to redirect and move a faction's troops quickly from one continent to another, in thrusts, feints, and counters, rather than methodically planning advances along a grid. A different metagame from PS1, to be sure, but there's still something of potential interest there. Only some significant experience playing in the new system will tell us how deep that can be, and whether certain pieces of terrain become more strategically valuable than others in the long term.
Old 2012-08-06, 05:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #101
Blackwolf
First Lieutenant

I think #1 is the best for now. Until we get more continents into the game, the currently placed set up is probably the best.

Once more continents are involved then I think we should move into a more home-territory type with just 1 foot hold on each of the 3 primary continents (each empire getting the best defended territory surrounding their primary foothold).
Old 2012-08-06, 06:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #102
Salad Snake
Staff Sergeant

It would be interesting if they went with 1 for the first three continents, then added foothold-less continents afterward. They'd need at least two warpgates to each one though to make it dynamic.
Old 2012-08-13, 06:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #103
Marinealver
Sergeant Major

I would go away from the new brodcast warpgate and make them the 2 way warpgate that we had in the start of planetside.
Old 2012-08-13, 08:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #104
Stanis
Master Sergeant

I assumed that when they added more continents we'd end up with something like Malorn has outlined.

No reason warpgates can't 'open' and 'close' like the caves did in PS1.
Then you can play KOTH to gain influence over them and control/link them until the next cycles.

Can't comment any more. Re-read what I wrote and the NDA is in effect.
Old 2013-02-02, 06:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #105
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

/necrobump

This is a pre-beta thread. Half-a-year passed and. Well... The problems still exist.

PS Malorn wasn't PS2 game designer back then, btw. But shhhhh...

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2013-02-02 at 06:48 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion