PS1 community split with PS2 - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: no, really?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-19, 12:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Sabot
Second Lieutenant

Re: PS1 community split with PS2

Originally Posted by Landtank View Post
Completely agree, I can't wait to see how this game does. I'm a vet and I want new people to be better than the old people, cause honestly, it wasn't like PS1 took a lot of skill >.>
You'd have to define 'skill' then... if you're talking about the gunplay, then no... but leading, and following, are very much a display of skill. Find that outside of arranged clan-matches in any other FPS and tell me it looks skillful. Better yet.. try to apply the general tactics of BF/CoD/CS or whatever in PS. ^^
Old 2012-07-19, 12:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Landtank
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Sabot View Post
You'd have to define 'skill' then... if you're talking about the gunplay, then no... but leading, and following, are very much a display of skill. Find that outside of arranged clan-matches in any other FPS and tell me it looks skillful. Better yet.. try to apply the general tactics of BF/CoD/CS or whatever in PS. ^^
Oh definitely, I meant the shooting aspect of the game. I suspect, and hope, that many vets will get wtfpwned by new players simply because they are more familiar with the gameplay. But the vets will be the ones effectively using vehicles such as the galaxy, liberator, and using classic tactics such as MAX crashes.
Old 2012-07-19, 12:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Bags
Lieutenant General

I suspect, and hope, that many vets will get wtfpwned by new players simply because they are more familiar with the gameplay.
Old 2012-07-19, 12:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
ShadoViper
Staff Sergeant

Oh definitely, I meant the shooting aspect of the game. I suspect, and hope, that many vets will get wtfpwned by new players simply because they are more familiar with the gameplay. But the vets will be the ones effectively using vehicles such as the galaxy, liberator, and using classic tactics such as MAX crashes.
Like what is this guy talking about guise? There have been shooters made besides planetside? Woah guys I never knew this nor played anything other than planetside for the past years.

Good logic man
Old 2012-07-19, 12:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
SgtExo
Staff Sergeant

Wow, wasn't really meaning the vets are bad at FPS cause they only play PS1. But I would like to see vets realizing that some of their favorite tactics might not work in this game and see what new tactics emerge.
Old 2012-07-19, 12:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Landtank
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by ShadoViper View Post
Like what is this guy talking about guise? There have been shooters made besides planetside? Woah guys I never knew this nor played anything other than planetside for the past years.

Good logic man
You should hear the way some people talk on this forum, and then you wouldn't be so bewildered.

Go look at the ADS vs Hipfire thread, the crouch/prone thread, and any other thread involving any shooter mechanics, and you'll understand.

I also agree with the OP, I want to see what the new players bring instead of vets sticking to their guns.

Hence my point, but I'm not saying you haven't played other games, it just seems that some people haven't.

Last edited by Landtank; 2012-07-19 at 12:36 PM.
Old 2012-07-19, 12:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Night
Private

Tactics? And here I thought PS1 was about numbers and zerging zerging zerging...

I dont think vets got any advantages in PS2...
Old 2012-07-19, 12:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Broadside
Sergeant

PS1 vets are not the only people who know how to play video games you know...
Old 2012-07-19, 12:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
rTekku
Sergeant

Lol all of this stuff about newcomers won't be using vehicles effectively and stuff. I guess people think anyone who didn't play PS1 are just a bunch of fragheads who play nothing but TDM in CoD.

All i'm saying is don't sleep on the newbies.
Old 2012-07-19, 12:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Yago
Private

Oh Jesus H !
I keep seeing "pwned"
It's 2012 , can we move on please ?

Yes , well anyway , Werner .
Best ping , great folks and laughs .... and LFS home
Old 2012-07-19, 01:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Bags
Lieutenant General

Go look at the ADS vs Hipfire thread, the crouch/prone thread, and any other thread involving any shooter mechanics, and you'll understand.

Hence my point, but I'm not saying you haven't played other games, it just seems that some people haven't.
You can play modern games and not like prone or ADS.
Old 2012-07-19, 01:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Zar
Sergeant

Originally Posted by SgtExo View Post
As a newcomer to the PS universe, I would like to join a server with allot of PS1 vets, just to show them how a real shooter feels
well i agree my gun play is not as leet as you are i guess lol. I don't play fair if i see someone better then me ill roll an aircraft or roll a squad on you and beat you with number's all i care about is that point behind you =3. even if you are the best player in the world with 50 kill's and 0 death's you have to reload just like everyone else =3. i just need to throw people at you till you run out of bullet's and take the point when you die =3 and even with that all the kill's you got i still win =3

Last edited by Zar; 2012-07-19 at 01:08 PM.
Old 2012-07-19, 01:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Sabot
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by rTekku View Post
Lol all of this stuff about newcomers won't be using vehicles effectively and stuff. I guess people think anyone who didn't play PS1 are just a bunch of fragheads who play nothing but TDM in CoD.

All i'm saying is don't sleep on the newbies.
And all I'm saying is that the ones that already know the pros and cons of said vehicles, and basically only need to slightly adjust to a new game, will have an advatadge. At least in the beginning. Believe it or not... in this game it takes more skill to drive certain vehicles than it takes to shoot and hit with them. Add to that the fact we're used to coordinate whole squads and platoons of tanks/libs/reavers or whatever.... I don't really care how well you can aim then, if you're not prepared for it you'll lose.
Old 2012-07-19, 01:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Landtank
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
You can play modern games and not like prone or ADS.
You are completely missing the point

You can play those games, and not like them, and not play them as much, and not be as familiar with the controls as all the BF3 or CoD kiddies.

Old 2012-07-19, 01:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

I see a lot of this "vets" hate and find it kind of misdirected. I'm not quite sure why most vets (i.e. average players) would be worse or better than non-PS1 players (i.e. also average players).

Assuming skill is in limited supply and considering the "vets" population is quite small compared to the total population of FPS players, of course there will be more skilled players coming into PS2 than there were skilled players in PS1.

I'm not sure why a lot of people say "I hope vets get owned", "vets will suck", etc... If anything is certain, it's that "vets" will scatter, drown and disappear into anonymity with the horde of new players coming to PS2. All that will last is memories for vets who lived through the experience of PS1 and forumside. And as a vet, it's good enough for me; all things have an end.

Hating on a group that will disappear by itself is IMO kind of a pointless and shows how those who hate lack hindsight and waste energy into meangless wrongly chosen petty fights.

Here's the real deal: the amount of average new players coming to PS2 will be overwhelming vs. the amount of skilled new players coming to PS2.

If you are a a skilled non-PS1 player coming to PS2, good for you. You are the 5% (of millions).
If you are a a skilled PS1 vet player coming to PS2, good for you. You are the 5% (of thousands).
If you are an average non-PS1 player coming to PS2, good for you ! You will love the scale of the game !
If you are an average PS1 vet player coming to PS2, good for you ! We finally had our sequel !

Talent is rare and if you really believe PS1 players suck vs. other players or vice-versa, it might be a good idea to reconsider and read about statistics.

PS1 had some skilled players like Visigodo:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ultralolocaust

I'm also a PS1 player and that guy would blow me out anyday, anyway, on any FPS game. Why ? Because like most players, I'm just average.

Other games also have skilled players and in the end, I'd just say that most of the people on PSU forums, Twitter, Facebook and Reddit range from terrible to decent.

Wait for beta and if you're any good, your name will take its place.

Last edited by sylphaen; 2012-07-19 at 01:11 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion