PS1 community split with PS2 - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The successful strategist seeks battle after the victory has been won
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-19, 02:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

Re: PS1 community split with PS2

Originally Posted by Emperor View Post
Truth is, there are only so many of you. Pride is good to have, but let's be clear: the servers will be awash with brand new people. They're going to come in having various skill levels, various playstyles, and various tactics. The tidal wave of non-PS1 vets this game has been getting attention from are going to hit this game running, and just going to skill up from there. I think veterans are really going to be surprised; right now, you guys are the PS1 vets. You're not PS2 vets. Everyone who jumps in this game on day 1, new to the series or not, they're going to become the PS2 vets.
I read you loud and clear. Three qualifiers:

1) Vets are going to have sunk several months or more into beta testing. At a civilized minimum, they'll be familiar with the weapons, the map layouts, etc. They'll be extremely valuable as combat tour guides, taking squads of newcomers out on safari where the SQUAD wants to go.

2) You don't need a majority of a given personality type or area of specialty; you merely need a critical mass of them. There's not much resemblance between the original Tribes and PS1, but those early FPS vets who flocked to the Terran banner -- attracted, like a lot of us, to the whole authoritarian/professional military lore -- put their stamp on our empire for all time. That's where the TR foot zerg comes from. That's why we communicate so freely via /shout when coordinating base defense. That's why we still hose down the landscape with bullets, even though we no longer need to beat the lag over a 16K modem.

3) We're accustomed to massive battles and radically unequal fights. Somebody that comes from the friendly-fire-off, autobalanced, run-ten-seconds-to-get-back-in-the-fight world of BF3 is simply going to be a walking bag of XP until they slow down and learn the ropes. We can help them by example, the same as those Tribes/Quake/Doom veterans showed me. They were nice to us. They vacuumed us up into squads and showed us how to move and fight as a team.

We're veterans. We're *soldiers.* We can help. And I intend to try to pass the torch.

Last edited by Rivenshield; 2012-07-19 at 02:33 PM.
Old 2012-07-19, 02:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
RoninOni
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
No offense but if PS2 plays like BF3 which it's shaping up to, gunplay wise, there will be no skillgap between a new player and a veteran.

These modern FPS are designed to be meatgrinders where everyone gets kills and wins.

Sorry to burst ya'lls bubbles regarding "owned PS1 vets", but you do realize we play more games than planetside, right? I've played BFBC2, BF3, MW1, Quake Live, TF2, L4D, etc etc etc since I started playing PS1. We're not going to be "HURR DURR HOW DO I INTO MODERN SHOOTER?" when PS2 releases.

But you can delude yourselves into thinking you're magically going to dominate every vet, if it makes you feel better.
I think he's referring to the sizable PS1 community who AREN'T good at FPS's but did good in PS1 due to it's slower paced, slug out nature...

The same people who post concerns about gunplay in PS2 because it's too "twitchy"
Old 2012-07-19, 02:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

It's pretty disheartening to see the elitism from PS1 vets
I'm not sure I agree with this statement. You are just more sensitive to one side of the story than the other. A lot of people just posted how much they want to shoot "vets" and prove them of they are so much better than "vets". I'm not sure how elitism plays out when most vets are NOT elite players and new players will not be elite players either.

All I see is trash talk between people trying to look cool and you should not feel disheartened or judge a discordant group of players based on a few comments.

"vets" include support oriented players, l33t players, bad players, average players, I-only-care-about-vehicle-combat players, trolls, elitists, etc...

I also assume the general population of non-PS1 players to be the same. For instance, support players may come from MMORPG communities. They won't be the best at shooting but they will love playing support.

Some good players will come from BF3; a lot of terrible players will come from BF3.
Some good players will come from COD; a lot of terrible players will come from COD.
etc...

When I read a post that could be summarized as "kekeke vets are scrubs I just want to own them and show them how better gud I am over them", I can't help but realize how stupid such a comment is on many aspects.

At most, this guy who only has average skill will definitely beat vets with average skill. He will make "wawawa Im so good i beat vet" posts without considering there is a skill gap between average players (PS1 or not) and GOOD players. But when he will face someone on a different skill level than himself, hopefully he will learn a lesson.

Not everyone who plays Starcraft 2 is in Master or Grandmaster league. It's the same in PS1, BF3, MW, etc... and it will be the same in PS2.

The whole "PS1 vets vs. new players" issue is non-existant and it's a fallacy to think so. Skill is dependant on players, not games.

(just to be clear, your post was actually decent to read and you put effort into your post, I am referring to previous cavemen 3 ligns posts above)
Old 2012-07-19, 02:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Goldeh
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
It really bugs you that people are basically calling you crap eh?
Old 2012-07-19, 02:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by RoninOni View Post
I think he's referring to the sizable PS1 community who AREN'T good at FPS's but did good in PS1 due to it's slower paced, slug out nature...

The same people who post concerns about gunplay in PS2 because it's too "twitchy"
Twitch is as important as positioning and choosing the right fights.

In terms of K/D, bad players in PS1 did as bad as they would do in another game. At least, they stayed in PS1 because they could have fun playing support roles and having a usefulness not entirely related to "twitchiness".

In terms of player personalities, the PS1 crowd was quite diverse and I believe the PS2 crowd will also be diverse. You'll just see the good "twitchy" players on assault and frontlines while support players will tend to stay back more.

A bad player will still always be a bad players. Take all the bronze leaguers in SC2, there is quite a lot of them !
Old 2012-07-19, 02:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
TheDAWinz
Sergeant Major

I have nothing against the new comers or vets, just who i see on this forum and if i don't like them (IE a succession of posts that i see that fucking retarded and want me to bash their face in) Then i will enjoy in destroying them.
Old 2012-07-19, 03:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Goldeh
Staff Sergeant

Personally, I think this thread is a recipe for disaster waiting to happen.
Old 2012-07-19, 03:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Hamma
PSU Admin

What we really need is a PlanetSide Universe Server, amirite?

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-07-19, 03:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Sephirex
Major

Originally Posted by TheDAWinz View Post
I have nothing against the new comers or vets, just who i see on this forum and if i don't like them (IE a succession of posts that i see that fucking retarded and want me to bash their face in) Then i will enjoy in destroying them.
In my book, dumb nonsensical posts get dumb nonsensical answers. We don't troll, we just try to fit into the conversation.
Old 2012-07-19, 03:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Would you be one of its mods ? Scary stuff !

Originally Posted by Sephirex View Post
In my book, dumb nonsensical posts get dumb nonsensical answers. We don't troll, we just try to fit into the conversation.
Great post !

Hamma, when will get ratings for posts on PSU ?

Last edited by sylphaen; 2012-07-19 at 03:17 PM.
Old 2012-07-19, 03:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
OutlawDr
Contributor
First Sergeant

There different kinds of "vets".

There are the vets that played PS1 a long time ago, but stopped and went on to play other games.

Then there are the vets that are still playing PS1 to this day. And out of those I wonder how many exclusively play PS1 and no other FPS game.
Old 2012-07-19, 03:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
SleepyZombie
Corporal

It's pretty disheartening to see the elitism from PS1 vets, especially being that they're a minority in a game that's going to be filled with new players who potentially have a lot to bring to the game. I understand vet status, I understand the pride of 'being there' in a game, and the shared experience of that; don't get me wrong. Still, there's this prevalent self-aggrandizement I keep seeing from vets that's really going to become detrimental to the community as a whole.

Namely thinking that everyone coming into 'your game' is going to be a CoD kiddie, or inexperienced, or won't understand teamwork or how to use vehicles. Again, I get pride--but you guys are really a bunch of small fish in a very, very big pond. SoE is building this up to be comparable to a AAA FPS game--the only difference is scale. I'm not downplaying that; scale is a big thing. But this idea that PS1 vets are the end-all be-all, know-everything-there-is-to-know-about-Planetside-day-1, you guys might be shocked.

PS2 is drawing interest. PS2 is making a lot of FPS players who never took part in the original game sit up and take notice. I'm not saying you guys are gonna get steamrolled, I'm not saying there aren't PS1 vets who aren't good at shooters (traditional or otherwise), but comments like, "I can't wait to shoot all the newcomers in the face," "PS1 vets need to show new players how to use tactics," it's a severe underestimation of what players in other games can do, and have done.

And beyond the argument of "Who is going to own whom," this fragmentation between vets and newcomers isn't something that's good for fostering a community. I mentioned this in Irish's thread. Wanting to segregate yourselves from newcomers is like wanting to stay in the little pond.

Truth is, there are only so many of you. Pride is good to have, but let's be clear: the servers will be awash with brand new people. They're going to come in having various skill levels, various playstyles, and various tactics. The tidal wave of non-PS1 vets this game has been getting attention from are going to hit this game running, and just going to skill up from there. I think veterans are really going to be surprised; right now, you guys are the PS1 vets. You're not PS2 vets. Everyone who jumps in this game on day 1, new to the series or not, they're going to become the PS2 vets. You can either help build a strong community of PS2 vets by not acting like you're the authority on all things Planetside, or you can cling to your elitism while you can, before the game is even in open beta.

Daigo isn't unbeatable, and new names routinely place. I'm assuming you're not heavily invested in the fighting game scene and only know Daigo's name because of that 3S vid that's been around since 2006. Daigo got bodied at EVO this year.

You've also apparently never heard of Noah, an EIGHT-YEAR-OLD who took on guys like Chris G at Marvel in EVO 2k11 and Mago in AE this year.

Also, if you WERE invested in the fighting game scene, you'd also know that new blood means a wider range of people discovering new tech, adding new strategies, and advancing the game. Games can be out for YEARS and someone will come up with new technology that changes the landscape. This can apply to every genre, but it's often seen in fighting games. Sometimes a new player has something to teach.
Simply because I make a simple joke and rib some guy using daigo as an example you got all of that? Yeah I know who noah is thank you.... and I follow evo as well. I simply used Daigo's name because he is the most well known.

I am also involved in my community to keep the fighting game genre alive... Next time don't assume you know something about someone simply because they are ribbing a guy on the forums clearly meaning no discontent.

It makes me not like you
Old 2012-07-19, 03:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
SgtExo
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Yes plz
Old 2012-07-19, 03:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Our server selection will be based on practicality rather than sentimentality.

Old 2012-07-19, 03:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
Loco
Private

The players that come out on top are going to be those that work together as a team. Be them BF3 COD or PS1. If the team works together they can overcome a lot.

In PS1 I've seen a squad of 8 hold a base vs up to twice their number, possibly more. They did it through team work and having a clear command structure.

You can get that in any game. Heck even some Wow guilds that are that organized could probably do well in PS2.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion