"marketing gone wrong", Tobuscus got sacked - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hamma for Prez!!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2013-01-17, 10:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
RykerStruvian
Staff Sergeant

Re: "marketing gone wrong", Tobuscus got sacked

Originally Posted by moonshake View Post
Ok something I didn't quite get. Are all three of these "leaders" going to be battling on one server? If so, which one? The website didn't quite clarify that. I'm a yank but I fight on Miller and Jaeger, depending on time I'm playing.
They are playing on Connery. Not sure what time though other than it will be a three hour event.
Old 2013-01-17, 10:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
DarkMesa
Corporal

I love LC, and am happy for the VS. I still like Toby, but he was not a good figurehead for the game.
Old 2013-01-17, 10:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Chewy
Major

Originally Posted by moonshake View Post
Ok something I didn't quite get. Are all three of these "leaders" going to be battling on one server? If so, which one? The website didn't quite clarify that. I'm a yank but I fight on Miller and Jaeger, depending on time I'm playing.
It's suppose to be on a west coast server, Connery I think it was.

Why? Because the 3 leaders are getting shipped to the same place to limit lag for them and to try and soften outfit numbers. Makes since in a way. Id bet that Levelcap and TB can get a few hundred people to change servers each easy, SeaNanners has almost no chance against that number wise. So pub players for all, maybe a squad or platoon to even things out.

Shame really that all 3 couldn't have had the chance to build up 3 huge outfits and then duke it out. Again, there would have been number problems seeing how long TB has had to make and train his outfit before this thing was a thing. Don't know anything about Levelcap, but I know that SeaNanners is fucked without good pub players to back him up seeing how his main has 3 hours of playtime that I can find.

Can anyone find something that says SeaNanners has more than 3 hours of play time? From his live stream this seems to be his main.
http://www.planetside-universe.com/c...tats=Seanannos

Things keep looking worse every time I look up details on this event.
Old 2013-01-17, 10:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
moonshake
Private

Originally Posted by RykerStruvian View Post
They are playing on Connery. Not sure what time though other than it will be a three hour event.
Ok thanks for that information..
Old 2013-01-17, 10:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
james
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
It's suppose to be on a west coast server, Connery I think it was.

Why? Because the 3 leaders are getting shipped to the same place to limit lag for them and to try and soften outfit numbers. Makes since in a way. Id bet that Levelcap and TB can get a few hundred people to change servers each easy, SeaNanners has almost no chance against that number wise. So pub players for all, maybe a squad or platoon to even things out.

Shame really that all 3 couldn't have had the chance to build up 3 huge outfits and then duke it out. Again, there would have been number problems seeing how long TB has had to make and train his outfit before this thing was a thing. Don't know anything about Levelcap, but I know that SeaNanners is fucked without good pub players to back him up seeing how his main has 3 hours of playtime that I can find.

Can anyone find something that says SeaNanners has more than 3 hours of play time? From his live stream this seems to be his main.
http://www.planetside-universe.com/c...tats=Seanannos

Things keep looking worse every time I look up details on this event.
SeaNanners has the Devil Dogs, PG, and CCG on his size. Plus his cult like following
Old 2013-01-17, 11:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Helwyr
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Rolfski View Post
This event officially became a big joke. While I do agree Tobuscus and Seananners being horrible representatives from the perspective of PS2 players, actually giving into criticism is even worse. Fire these marketing guys, really.

The original idea of this campaign was to attract new players. Giving in to criticism and sacking Tobuscus for Levelcap is nothing more than admitting this whole campaign has failed.
The idea wasn't conceptually that bad, take three guys with very large followings and tie each to one of the three factions then call for a huge battle between all three. Potentially drawing in thousands of new players to PS2 across all three factions.

The flaw is that to actually lead in game is not the same as having thousands of Youtube followers, and of the original three only TB has the PS2 credentials to get help and support from actual PS2 players who can lead and coordinate to make this event work in practice.

The whole thing to me doesn't indicating terrible marketing. Rather it points to problems for SOE in wanting like us PS2 to be an amazing game that has the depth and sophistication to hold our attention for years while also being a game they can draw in the mass of ultra casual gamers. If they can do that they have gold, but it will take some design alchemy to pull it off or we could just end up with a pile of toxic sludge.
Old 2013-01-17, 11:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

All I can say is, how could I not stand behind an articulate Brit who is younger yet more bald than I? That's balls and gumption! For the Republic!

Ps. Gumption is actually a word, according to my spell checker.
Old 2013-01-17, 11:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Ruffdog
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Never say SOE don't listen!

Originally Posted by Tatwi View Post
All I can say is, how could I not stand behind an articulate Brit who is younger yet more bald than I? That's balls and gumption! For the Republic!
I think he should get rid of the lot, Bic-style. Think Kane from C&C

Old 2013-01-18, 12:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
EVILoHOMER
Major

I don't like any of them, in fact I think SOE's marketing is pretty terrible as is their media side of things when it comes to promoting the game. Beats boring flythroughs of empty levels with some licensed music they use in every trailer I guess.
Old 2013-01-18, 12:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
QuantumMechanic
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Ghoest9 View Post
Sean Anners may not be the greatest PS2 players(and I had personally never heard of him before) but given the intent of this he is by no means "horrible."
He doesnt seam like a bad guy.

Tobuscus on the other hand made no sense at all in this role.
I can't agree that SeaNanners is by no means "horrible". Please attempt to watch the first 10 minutes of this video that he uploaded only 3 days ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCOlHm2OyrI

It is painfully obvious that he has no idea how to play Planetside 2, that he's not interested in learning, and that he's basically obliged to do this event.

That's how I took it anyway. I couldn't watch past 10 minutes, the stupidity was simply too much for me.
Old 2013-01-18, 03:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
ShadetheDruid
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by QuantumMechanic View Post
That's how I took it anyway. I couldn't watch past 10 minutes, the stupidity was simply too much for me.
It's funny, because on the last stream he really started kicking some arse part way in. SeaNanners is actually a really good FPS gamer and as he gets used to the game you can actually see that coming through. Remember, we were all newbies once.

Yes, he's silly, but that's his thing. He plays games to entertain and have fun, not to be super hardcore.
Old 2013-01-18, 05:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Rolfski
Major

Originally Posted by Helwyr View Post
The idea wasn't conceptually that bad, take three guys with very large followings and tie each to one of the three factions then call for a huge battle between all three. Potentially drawing in thousands of new players to PS2 across all three factions.

The flaw is that to actually lead in game is not the same as having thousands of Youtube followers, and of the original three only TB has the PS2 credentials to get help and support from actual PS2 players who can lead and coordinate to make this event work in practice.

The whole thing to me doesn't indicating terrible marketing. Rather it points to problems for SOE in wanting like us PS2 to be an amazing game that has the depth and sophistication to hold our attention for years while also being a game they can draw in the mass of ultra casual gamers. If they can do that they have gold, but it will take some design alchemy to pull it off or we could just end up with a pile of toxic sludge.
Conceptually it wasn't that bad, but the devil is in the details and the execution of this whole thing is a train wreck so far.

Marketing train wreck #1
If you want to attract new players with big YouTubers that don't play the game, then DON'T position them as faction leaders and have them team up with good, well known players: Tobuscus & LevelCap or Seananners & IronfistLMS (best NC flight teacher) would have been a much better representative combo for this event, attracting new and current PS2 players.

Marketing train wreck #2
Make this an event on all servers, so everybody can participate. The current set-up is far from ideal imo as Seananners followers signing up for this game will mostly increase new traffic on his server only.
The Connery-only event sentences all other players to passive twitch channel watchers, not smart. An event where everybody could play on their own server and where lots of prizes (SC, new gear, etc.) could be won would have made a much bigger impact.

Marketing train wreck #3
Communicate properly. Information about this event has been sketchy at best, leaving everybody in the blind what the idea behind this whole thing is. Increasing interest by leaking bits of info has clearly not worked here as communication tactic and sacking Tobuscus half way down the line only adds to the feeling that the marketing team has no idea what they are doing. And please, sync multiple communication channels properly, don't announce a decal for the event on twitter only.

Last edited by Rolfski; 2013-01-18 at 06:53 AM.
Old 2013-01-18, 06:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
MaxDamage
Sergeant Major

Tobuscus guy was friggin hilarious in that empire showdown video.
Made me laugh and not in a bad way..

VS clowns just need to get a sense of humour.
Old 2013-01-18, 07:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Forsaken One
First Sergeant

Reason Toby got sacked is easy. He sounds Arab.

In the original video he is a Arab sounding guy who is talking about destroying his enemy's. lol. Also his line is like something a extremer says in a TV show.

Racism or over censorship. Take your pick.

But the new view with Levelcap.... Levelcap just looks overly high and doesn't even know whats going on atm.
Old 2013-01-18, 07:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
KaskaMatej
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

Official word from Vanu Sovereignty High Command:

"My fellow Vanu... In a rational world, such ravings would need no response, and this TR boasting would be undercut by the self-evident ineptitude of its leadership. Unfortunately that future has not yet come to pass, and so it falls to me to help educate those who would lap up this petty patter!

While is it true that they both assassinate and boast, remember that when they succeed, they do not boast, and when they boast, they have not succeeded. We all know the first scenario very well, in the form of their bombing of the Discovery 7, an act of terror so heinous that their corrupt leadership still maintains a pathetic charade of innocence, lest they shock the morality of even their own sanguinary foot-soldiers.

Fortunately, only the second scenario--foolish incompetence--is what faces us today. Let me be explicit: Tobuscus is alive, there has been no credible attempt upon his life, and this is an internal Sovereignty affair.

For several weeks now, the high council has been deliberating over how to restructure the Sovereignty's outreach and proselytizing aspects separately from other leadership tasks. Tobuscus has voluntarily stepped down as part of that ongoing reorganization, and is temporarily on sabbatical, in guided contemplation of the nature of Vanu and the future evolution of mankind.

Due to the sensitivity of these private meditations, anyone seeking to contact him should do so through the network node address attached to this message. Additional organizational information will be forthcoming shortly, and all combat forces of Praetor-level and below will see no disruption in their existing organizational schema."
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion