It's been a week. What do you fear? - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I am tired of these m*f'*ing snakes on this m*f*ing Gal!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-18, 09:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
Headrattle
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Re: It's been a week. What do you fear?

Originally Posted by Canaris View Post
So far my fears are -

Skill up Points That they will effect the game to much like upgrades, damage increase or rof increase (APB style old and current) giving veterans to much of an advantage over new players resulting in new players leaving after a short while because they can't play. (Word to the wise, upgrades are bad m'kay! It's been proven not to work.)
You have now been warned and I've feel I have done my duty.
Agreed. The inventory and cert system were the strong points of PS1. It would be a shame to get rid of them.

Spider Women Hopefully they'll never exist, scare the shizzle out of me :eek
They exist. I was married to one.
Old 2011-07-18, 01:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Chaff
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

I fear PS2 won't be PlanetSide at all.

I fear change - SOE - driven not to make PS2, but rather bastardize the PS name and simply make a new game based on popular shooters currently dominating the marketplace - at the EXPENSE of what made PS1 great. SOE will go for the features that will capture & retain the most new players.

I fear headshots.
If 1-shot kills must exist....a sniper should have a 3-minute post-kill blinking light (like a LLU run) on the map...at least in a limited range (anyone within 500 meters can "see" a sniper after a headshot kill). This may help prevent too much headshot action dominating/ruining PS2. Headshots should be very rare - or gameplay will be annoying, or worse.

I fear something akin to a loss or diminishment of Cont-Lock

I fear a PS2 where Gal-Drops occur less than PS1

I fear a PS2 where they sacrifice membership by charging too much. More players = better action = more enrollment via word-of-mouth.

I fear PS2 will ruin the CERT & Inventory sytem most players loved in PS1

I fear PS2 will not do enough to eliminate 1-man hacks. A base hack should require a minimum of 1 (or 2 ?) full squads. Tower hack ? Require at least 1/2 of a squad.

I fear PS2 will do nothing to tone down farming - maybe it's the players who are guilty here.

I like the idea of older/more experienced players getting more. 20% sounds too high. Maybe closer to 10%. Not an overwhelming advantage - just a perk & reward for staying in the game.

I fear PS1. After a while......for some, it took a few weeks or months......for others it took a year or more.....eventually the never-ending back-and-forth gets boring.

Somehow, I think the game needs to have a bigger reward or sense of accomplishment than multiple Cont-Locks. For every Cont your empire unlocks you get an enemy vehicle & weapon open to your empire - until you lose that cont.

...and why no Sanctuary ? It was a good place to chill, train, recruit, or wait for your Outfit to show up for a raid.
Old 2011-07-18, 01:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Chaff View Post

I fear a PS2 where Gal-Drops occur less than PS1

I fear a PS2 where they sacrifice membership by charging too much. More players = better action = more enrollment via word-of-mouth.

I fear PS2 will not do enough to eliminate 1-man hacks. A base hack should require a minimum of 1 (or 2 ?) full squads. Tower hack ? Require at least 1/2 of a squad.

Galaxies are becoming mobile spawns in addition to their current role so I'm sure they'll be used even more.

There's going to be some sort of F2P aspect.

They said hacking/taking something off the front lines could take you thirty minutes, and thirty seconds to get back.
Old 2011-07-18, 01:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Chaff
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Is there any realistic information of when the PS2 Beta will be out ?
I'm holding off on a new gaming machine until I hear more about PS2.
....actually, I'm saving the money still.....if PS2 comes out tomorrow I'm screwed. I'm trying to save to build something that will last me a while and will run in the top 5% of what other playing are running.....that means, close to $3,000 or more.

I emailed SOE for info on a PS2 system build/config......and they could not/would not tell me squat.
Old 2011-07-18, 01:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Raymac
Brigadier General

One of my biggest concerns is that you guys are making mountains out of molehills. Good example is the jetpack idea. It's something thats already been in the game with the VS maxes, but people on the forums here were freaking out that they would be in PS2. Jet packs will be a great addition, and of course they'll get balanced.

My other major concern is that SOE won't come through. We've heard some pretty impressive claims about "thousands" fighting at once, and expanding the game to be more sandbox, and they will crack down on cheaters better, and the performance will be better....I just hope the devs arn't over-reaching and end up making a game that is half baked.
Old 2011-07-18, 01:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Chaff View Post
Is there any realistic information of when the PS2 Beta will be out ?
No. A rough estimate though is sometime in 2012 probably. I'm sure you'll be given enough advanced notice to prepare if you get into the beta. Whenever I've been in an MMO friends in family/alpha/beta I was told prior to the date. "We'll be doing server testing on X day at Y time". Then again all of the betas I've been in were more about finding bugs than playing the game. You're better off waiting for the release most of the time. When I did the Stargate Worlds alpha it was so buggy I knew the game was never going to release. Then again I said the same thing about the Vanguard: SOH beta and that game released.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2011-07-18 at 01:53 PM.
Old 2011-07-18, 01:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
MooK
Staff Sergeant

I fear, like many others, that the choices made by the development team will be ones anchored by a need to draw in new customers, sustain an unforgiving business model and in the process, ostracize current customers.

Whilst I respect and understand the need to generate income from any such endeavor, I hope they complete this game with the primary intention to please their customers, not themselves.

I fear that the changes I believe to be in poor taste, are not within the spirit of the original Planetside, and will make me uninterested in Planetside 2.

I fear that all changes, good or bad, will be made without taking into consideration some level of realism, or will be made outside of the storyline. For instance, would it make sense that I, a soldier in an army, would be unable to physically lift the weapon of another empire, shoulder it, and use it against them?

I fear that the promises being made are unrealistic, and will be implemented laxidaisically with the intention of patching or updating at a later date. No game I have played has ever met my criteria to be excellent, if it required after-release patches to implement release content. I consider Planetside, in it's original form, to be release worthy. I do not consider it's attempts at introducing content to be acceptable. I do not consider any MMO I have played in the past 4 years to be release worthy.

I fear that the developers wish to create a faster-paced game, based upon recent opinions rather than opinions taken at the time of it's peak. I am one of those who believe that removing aspects of the game, that were not worthy of being removed, simply to increase the pace of action, is a fool's choice. I believe that the original pace, in conjunction with concepts like the Sanctuary, and the HART, was well balanced and encouraged teamwork and interaction between players. The point of a multiplayer game, especially one with massive aspirations, is interaction.

I fear that attempts at balancing this game, for every player, on every continent, from every empire, will actually degrade it, rather than improve it. I fear that attempting to satiate the cries, complaints and moans in regards to balance, while not disrupting gameplay for those who do not generate noise, is impossible.

I fear that tactics and strategy will become useless. I fear that planning and taking one's time will be non-existent.

I fear that classes will make this game similar to every other MMO that has been released in an attempt to cash in on a certain fantasy MMO's success.

Finally, I fear that my skepticism and cynicism holds weight.
Old 2011-07-18, 02:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
So it's been over a week now and we have TONS of information to absorb.

Of what we have heard so far what do you fear most of the features we have heard about? Let's try and not make this a debate about specific features, just thoughts and opinions on why you think it's a bad idea. There are other threads for more in depth debate!
I worry about the intent to shorten TTK, and the impression I've received from comments like "no dice rolling" that we'll be losing the bloom mechanic in favor of more traditional (among modern games) pinpoint crosshair accuracy + recoil.

I loved bloom, and I enjoyed Planetside for the way bloom and the relatively long TTK combined to create a less twitchy, thoughtful and teamworky pace of play.

Beyond that, I do have some reservations (fear might be too strong) about all the weapon and vehicle customization, and whether it will degrade the "signature feel" of various equipment and empires.

I fear that the advantages being built into terrain and regions will kill the opportunity for fun mixed battles; i.e., infantry vs. vehicles, vehicles vs. air, etc. Not to mention combined arms pushes in general.
Old 2011-07-18, 02:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Chaff
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by MooK View Post
I fear, like many others, that the choices made by the development team will be ones anchored by a need to draw in new customers, sustain an unforgiving business model and in the process, ostracize current customers.

Whilst I respect and understand the need to generate income from any such endeavor, I hope they complete this game with the primary intention to please their customers, not themselves.

I fear that the changes I believe to be in poor taste, are not within the spirit of the original Planetside, and will make me uninterested in Planetside 2.

I fear that all changes, good or bad, will be made without taking into consideration some level of realism, or will be made outside of the storyline. For instance, would it make sense that I, a soldier in an army, would be unable to physically lift the weapon of another empire, shoulder it, and use it against them?

I fear that the promises being made are unrealistic, and will be implemented laxidaisically with the intention of patching or updating at a later date. No game I have played has ever met my criteria to be excellent, if it required after-release patches to implement release content. I consider Planetside, in it's original form, to be release worthy. I do not consider it's attempts at introducing content to be acceptable. I do not consider any MMO I have played in the past 4 years to be release worthy.

I fear that the developers wish to create a faster-paced game, based upon recent opinions rather than opinions taken at the time of it's peak. I am one of those who believe that removing aspects of the game, that were not worthy of being removed, simply to increase the pace of action, is a fool's choice. I believe that the original pace, in conjunction with concepts like the Sanctuary, and the HART, was well balanced and encouraged teamwork and interaction between players. The point of a multiplayer game, especially one with massive aspirations, is interaction.

I fear that attempts at balancing this game, for every player, on every continent, from every empire, will actually degrade it, rather than improve it. I fear that attempting to satiate the cries, complaints and moans in regards to balance, while not disrupting gameplay for those who do not generate noise, is impossible.

I fear that tactics and strategy will become useless. I fear that planning and taking one's time will be non-existent.

I fear that classes will make this game similar to every other MMO that has been released in an attempt to cash in on a certain fantasy MMO's success.

Harsh - but brutally on-point. yeah. That picture you painted invokes fear. We'll see

I'd add one fear......they NEVER finish PS2....and this whole thing goes "pooooft".....

Nah.
Doom and gloom is an easy path to take pre-release. I hope I'm surp[rised & impressed. I hope the Beta comes out at least 75% spot-on with old and new players. I hope the bugs & bad decisions are quickly corrected.

I have a sliver of hope.....they maintain the key elements, but improve gameplay. That is a HUGE task right there. If they try to do everything - it's most likely going to be a cluster-fuck of a game.

If PS doesn't launch for another 6 months or more - this board may implode with all the speculation and paranoia.....but the love of this game is why so many people read or post here.

Last edited by Chaff; 2011-07-18 at 02:42 PM.
Old 2011-07-18, 03:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Traak
Colonel

Originally Posted by PsychoXR-20 View Post
My biggest fear is that "looting enemy weapons is hard to balance" is going to mean we cannot loot enemy weapons period. I don't mind the no hacking of vehicles as much (though I can definitely see how people can be upset about that) but I LOVE using enemy weapons as I feel they are generally more effective against their own empire since those are the weapons said empire has the least experience fighting, and am going to be very VERY disappointed if we cannot loot them.
"No hacking of vehicles so one wounded cloaker is no longer > fully crewed Prowler, Magrider, or Vanguard. I can see why they did that.
Old 2011-07-18, 03:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Traak View Post
"No hacking of vehicles so one wounded cloaker is no longer > fully crewed Prowler, Magrider, or Vanguard. I can see why they did that.
Given the time, patience, ammount of points needed to do that and luck was required to pull that off, why shouldn't the cloaker be able to do that?

It's not like any idiot could run up to a Prowler and hack it instantly. You had to sneak up to that shit and take a good 5 or so seconds to steal it, with it being completely still.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2011-07-18, 03:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
Fews
Private

Originally Posted by MooK View Post

I fear this man took my words... shame he is NC.

nice post btw... smurf
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion