Remember Continents? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Donate Now!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-16, 06:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Headrattle
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Remember Continents?

Time for a trip into wonderful nostalgia. Remember the planet map instead of the silly interstellar map in Planetside? Remember the clouds and weather? Remember how the continents were spaced out? Weren't those good days?

In my opinion the Interstellar map in Planetside marked the end for me. It was, in my opinion, an unneeded change that only seemed to confuse the issue. With the planet map the information was clearer in my opinion. Instead of the interstellar map where all you look at are the sides. With the planet map the information was more upfront. I don't really understand why they changed it.

But wait! That is not all! The weather! Remember the weather? Now in PS back in the day, you could watch clouds cross your continent and then effect the next one. Now, the weather didn't have that much effect, but it was one of those cool immersion things that I thought was really cool. You should look at the Planet map, see where the fights are, pick a place and then say "And it looks like they are expecting rain." Not only that but I seem to remember dust storms and the like on Solsar (my favorite) and that was pretty cool.

Now... They talked about weather effects, flying around in clouds for cover, and things along those lines. Does anyone know if we are getting something like the old planet map back? Or is it going to be the Interstellar map again? And if it is, please tell me that the cool weather effects will be shown on the map as they effect the planet. That doesn't seem that hard to code, but it was a really cool effect.
Old 2011-07-16, 06:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info
Re: Remember Continents?

I hope it's a single planet as well.

I was playing recently and there was a Thunderstorm..so I don't think weather went anywhere.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2011-07-16, 07:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Headrattle
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
I hope it's a single planet as well.

I was playing recently and there was a Thunderstorm..so I don't think weather went anywhere.
I know. I am talking about how in Planetside the planetary view you could have the clouds shown, and the clouds would actually move across the planet. And what is more, you could go where the massive clouds were, and it would be raining. They got rid of that (or maybe it is still there, we just can't see it because of the interstellar map.)
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-16, 07:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

They're going back to the PS story around launch time, in which there was only one planet, Auraxis, and it had many continents.

They mentioned the desire for weather systems and such but said it might not make release. I'm sure it'll be in the 3-year plan though.
Old 2011-07-16, 07:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Valdae
Sergeant

I would imagine it's a single planet so long as they are re-imagining the original story line.
Old 2011-07-16, 07:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Headrattle
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Thanks. And it is good to know that they are starting over in the storyline too.
Hey! You gotta ask.
Old 2011-07-16, 07:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Valdae
Sergeant

For the record, the weather system is one of the most interesting parts of this game for me, as everyone loved the storms from the first game. Sure clear sky, rain, snow, and heavy cloud etc should be implemented; but elements like heavy fog, lightening storms, or even the occasional meteor shower would really be unforgettable. I'm also desperate to see night make a grand return.
Old 2011-07-16, 07:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

This volumetric hide-in-a-cloud thing is one of the neatest features IMO.

I hope they extend it to infantry/vehicle play. Smoke grenades in BC2 were one of the neatest underutilized features.
That shit does a number on frame rates though, it would be tough to balance.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2011-07-16, 09:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Hamma
PSU Admin

The weather system originally was awesome.

Can't wait to have Auraxis back..

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-07-16, 09:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
CutterJohn
Colonel

I didn't care so much about the bending. Whatever. Its useless RP and didn't change gameplay much. I did miss the ease of viewing the entire planet at once though. That should come back.
Old 2011-07-16, 09:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Valdae
Sergeant

I miss this I dunno why, but this moody looking moment of the game required a screenshot.

Old 2011-07-16, 10:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
LordReaver
First Sergeant

You guys act like there's not weather in the game anymore. It's only gone from the map. If you want to see rain, go to Hossin, it rains all the time there.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-16, 11:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by Valdae View Post
I miss this I dunno why, but this moody looking moment of the game required a screenshot.

It pretty sad that by looking at that one screenshot I know exactly where you are standing and facing. (Just East of Shango, Cyssor, standing on the road facing south).

And all the battles I can remember fighting there. In the early days the VS always attacked from Orisha, and the NC fought from the north-> south. The Itan-Shango corridor battles and the Shango-Orisha battles were always heavy tank fights. Lots of magriders, lots of vanguards. Lots of foolish infantry getting mowed trying to footzerg open plains full of tanks.

Talk about nostalgia.
Old 2011-07-16, 11:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Valdae
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Talk about nostalgia.
You aint kiddin' mate
Old 2011-07-17, 03:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Vancha
Colonel

I always liked Planetside's rain. While it might not have been great graphically, it always seemed to be the most immersive I'd come across. Maybe it was the sound effect they used or something.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion