The "Loyalty" thing... - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: How often do you look up here?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-27, 04:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Grognard
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

The "Loyalty" thing...

Interesting...

I have been thinking about the loyalty aspect of this game... "__ for life!" We all see it... its in many sigs, its in the smack-talk, its in the polls... its all over the place... and I will not say a damn word bad about it... Why? Because I feel the same damn way... but I dont get it...

I rarely feel loyalty to a video game "faction", not really... Except for two... Vanu, and the Jade Falcons, and I will die a Jade Falcon... whatever that means... It seems really stupid to me, but I actually can get worked up about it... go figure... Probably those 14 books on JF characters that I read, twice.

This game does seem to produce a certain type of triple "raider nation" mentality... only not silver and black. However, the thing I like about it the most...

...is the intensity it brings to the game... like a euro soccer game, where you can go down on the field and beat the shit outa everyone... Folks actually fight for their own in this game... and from some of the hate tells I have seen in screenshots, can get pretty sensitive about it, LOL. Which is cool, it shows they have heart, albeit raging... but the competitiveness in this game is fantastic.

Sooo looking forward to an epic game... and if you are not purple, I will kill you.

Kein Plan überlebt die erste Feindberührung. Res ad triarios venit... μολὼν λαβέ!

Last edited by Grognard; 2012-04-27 at 04:35 PM.
Old 2012-04-27, 04:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Hamma
PSU Admin

Re: The "Loyalty" thing...

I think its a testament to the original designers of PlanetSide. They really came up with an awesome lineup of empires. There is something for everyone.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-04-27, 05:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

"Loyalty" = missing 2/3 of the game. You can love one empire, but if you don't play the others, you're really missing out. Aside from just the different experience each empire offers, they tend to have different communities and well, knowing how each empires equipment works first hand is the win. Knowledge is power - know thy enemy.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-04-27, 05:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Shlomoshun
Private

pshhha, coming from a Devil Dog no less.. And everyone knows that Knowledge doesn't equal power....Technology equals might.
Old 2012-04-27, 05:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Captain1nsaneo
Major

Misc Info

It really is quite unique and I've not found it in another game. It seems like PS is the closest you can get to Band of Brothers with out actually going to war. Or mayhap a better comparison would be a sports bar dedicated to one specific team. The shared sense of purpose and foxhole logic really makes for a wonderful environment.
Old 2012-04-27, 06:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Grognard
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by EVILPIG View Post
"Loyalty" = missing 2/3 of the game.
How? I have played, and will play, the other factions, but always come back to Vanu the most, where I actually feel a sense of loyalty, after having fought with them for so long... I dont feel like I have missed a thing.

Originally Posted by EVILPIG View Post
You can love one empire, but if you don't play the others, you're really missing out. Aside from just the different experience each empire offers, they tend to have different communities and well, knowing how each empires equipment works first hand is the win. Knowledge is power - know thy enemy.
"Loyalty" = missing 2/3 of the game." I'm not sure why you feel this way.

1/3 ... have played VS (knowledge of faction, plus loyalty)
1/3 ... have played NC (knowledge of faction)
1/3 ... have played TR (knowledge of faction)

= 1, plus I still have loyalty to VS.

I realize this is what you also said, but I am trying to find the part where I said I havent...

Kein Plan überlebt die erste Feindberührung. Res ad triarios venit... μολὼν λαβέ!
Old 2012-04-27, 06:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

I don't agree, you're not missing anything. The feel of camaraderie I believe it will provide is what makes this game so unique and thus appealing to me... I don't care if I can't use all the weapons and all the vehicles. Also I believe you will be able to play different Empires, just on different servers.
Old 2012-04-27, 06:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Grognard
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Immigrant View Post
The feel of camaraderie I believe it will provide is what makes this game so unique and thus appealing to me... I don't care if I can't use all the weapons and all the vehicles.
I have definately noticed the high sense of camaraderie in this game also, moreso than others in my experience. Aside from that, a sense of faction-specific loyalty I havent seen in a long time...

Originally Posted by Immigrant View Post
Also I believe you will be able to play different Empires, just on different servers.
Definately something I will do too, but I will always come back to VS. There is just something about the faction itself that appeals to me more than the others, having played, and compared them all.

Old 2012-04-27, 06:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
SgtMAD
Captain

I'm loyal to the Outfit,the guys that log on every day for hours on end to hear me yell at them,they put up with that shit and I make sure they have fun playing the game.

that's pretty much all you need to have fun playing the game.
Old 2012-04-27, 07:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Xyntech
Brigadier General

I think most players dabble in all three empires a little bit on occasion.

The way you know you have empire loyalty is when you feel a little dirty when playing on another empire and shooting members of your main empire.

I don't know about everyone, but I get the sense that the game was able to foster a certain sense of antipathy towards enemy empires as well as loyalty for your own.

For me, NC were always the true enemy, while the TR were just more basic baddies to fight.

If I was playing as a TR, I wouldn't feel too bad about fighting VS, but if I was playing NC, I'd feel like complete shit every time I killed a VS.

I wonder if other players had this type of feeling much, and which empire it was that they hated the most.

That could be an interesting poll to go along with the "which empire will you play" poll:

"Which empire did you loathe/love to hate the most"
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-27, 07:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Loyalty is a TR tenet. The other two empires by their very existence failed at Loyalty.
Old 2012-04-27, 07:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
FINALCUT
First Sergeant

I think a lot of it comes from the great description of the Empires. Awesome writing and a lot of thought went into how the factions feel about their role in Auraxis's future. I love NC because they are the most in line with how I feel about things in real life. They fit me and my outlook on the World perfect and I believe it's like that with most players.
Old 2012-04-27, 07:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Grognard
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
IThe way you know you have empire loyalty is when you feel a little dirty when playing on another empire and shooting members of your main empire.
If I was playing as a TR, I wouldn't feel too bad about fighting VS, but if I was playing NC, I'd feel like complete shit every time I killed a VS.
Agreed, and I felt it necessary to supress that, due to the feeling that I was not earning my paycheck... It was hard to kill GotR's... but I did it, and I think they would want me to if I was "in character" as the enemy... and of course they unknowingly beat my ass for it, so it got easier, lol...

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
I don't know about everyone, but I get the sense that the game was able to foster a certain sense of antipathy towards enemy empires as well as loyalty for your own.
Definately, my daughter really disliked terrans...

Old 2012-04-27, 07:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Grognard
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Loyalty is a TR tenet. The other two empires by their very existence failed at Loyalty.
... an infusion of lorealty, eh?

Old 2012-04-27, 08:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
BuzzCutPsycho
Sergeant Major

I don't know... I like playing TR... the lore... the style... the weapons... it just really interests me...

Tradition plays a big role in my playing TR... but... in the end... my loyalty... is to... my outfit...

Last edited by BuzzCutPsycho; 2012-04-27 at 08:05 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion