Question on FOV - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: all your quotes r belong to us
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

View Poll Results: Want a menu option to select FOV?
Yes 51 62.20%
No 31 37.80%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2002-12-21, 06:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
Zarparchior
Dragoon Admiral

Of course you're a l33t Whore! You reply to every damnible thread imaginable... and some that aren't.

Congrats on being teh first Master of Postemonies (it's kinda like the Master of Ceremonies... but not).
Old 2002-12-21, 07:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
�io
Lieutenant General

Thanks. But i'm not really the first, i know Hamma said he's l33t whore x2 and i'm sure 1 or 2 from the staff are l33t whores as well.
Old 2002-12-26, 02:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
NoYes
Private

would be nice to get some more info on this.
Old 2002-12-26, 03:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #49
Tegadil
Corporal

Yknow, I've never changed my FOV. Hell, I never knew I could.

I think someday I shall get a bunch of monitors (or maybe a big circular one..yeah!) set it to 360. I could then sit in the middle with a swivel chair and wireless mouse/keyboard. No one would sneak up on me again! And if you were to get two people and do that in mechwarrior, it would be like having your own gunner...

I wonder if that really would be possible...

Please insert face.
Old 2002-12-26, 04:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #50
Serbitar
Sergeant

as I said before:

a CHEAT is not only an ADVANTAGE, but an ADVANTAGE which reduces the fun of the game if you use it. Higher resolution actually doesnt reduce the fun of the game. (not at all).

The point is that cheats force you to do things that lessen your fun if you want tog et the same advantage. An advantage that doesnt lessen my fun I will easily adapt !

"May the light shine at thee in the dark !"
R| Relativity
Old 2002-12-26, 07:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #51
phadE
Corporal

It's funny that some people think changing your fov is a cheat. When there are no leagues for any of the other big fps games that consider it one. In fact ut2k3 lets you change it right in the game menu. Guess all those ut2k3 players are cheaters. Hmm i think im going side with them then a bunch of n00bs who never even tried the fov adjustment.

www.insolentinternet.com
Old 2002-12-26, 12:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Serbitar
Sergeant

1st: I have played FPS for 8 Years now, 3 of them in a competative clan.

2nd: Just because 1 million flies eat dirt it doesnt make eating dirt right. Only reasons count, and definitions. The one I gave above is my definition of a cheat. Maybe your definition is better. Post it !

R| Relativity
Old 2002-12-26, 02:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
phadE
Corporal

In my opinion any thing the developers allow thats in game is legit. The moment you use an outside source (hacked drivers etc)then you are cheating. I could care less what kinda tweak someone uses on the other end. As long as its not an outside source hack. Just because you think its a cheat dosnt make it one. And my reason still stand. The leagues dont consider it a cheat. If someone wants to play with a 180 fov more power to them. If changing your fov was such a big advantage. Then there must be a sweet spot for it. One that everyone would use, but there isnt. Some people play at 120. For them thats comfortable. Me i cant play at that high of one, everything moves to fast. I play at 110. In matches ive seen never once have i heard a clan complain after the match that they lost because of the other team using a higher fov.

www.insolentinternet.com

Last edited by phadE; 2002-12-26 at 03:00 PM.
Old 2002-12-26, 06:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Serbitar
Sergeant

But if having a FOV of 90 doenst suit you, then "something" must be better for you on 110 (you just see 25% more . . )
And of course it needs some majority to define what a cheat is by a majority ruled thing like a ladder. But that doesnt change my personal definition of a cheat.

R| Relativity
Old 2003-01-08, 12:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #55
NoYes
Private

Changing your fov is a matter of prefrence. I think those of you complaing that it gives people an advantage don't understand it very well. Zooming-in is chaning the FOV, that is all that it is. The zoom fov in Q3(if i remember right) is like 22.5 deg playing with a higher fov is playing "unzoomed" guys will get smaller faster as the distance increases and are smaller in general. Lower FOV= bigger slower moving targets, but see less. Higher FOV= smaller faster moving targetsm but can see more. There are pros and cons to each.

Hell, how about I argue that playing with a low FOV is unfair because you can shoot me easier at distance! Damn, low FOV haxor biatches!

I am not saying let us have any fov we like, just give us an option to set our fov between like 80-115 or so. I rly hate playing with sub 90 fov and like I said before from the screen shot it looks like it is only 75, which I think would be painfully low for every experiacned fps player :/.

You complain that playing with a high FOV is not fun; my complaint is playing with a low FOV is not fun. Thier are advantages and disadvantages for any FOV, let people play in the enviroment they are comfortable with.
Old 2003-01-08, 12:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #56
NoYes
Private

"But if having a FOV of 90 doenst suit you, then "something" must be better for you on 110 (you just see 25% more . . ) "

Using ESDF or WASD for movement some people don't like and they use the directional keys. Does that mean something is better about directional keys? Some people like jump with space others and not mouse2. Does that mean their is an advantage to jumping with space? Hell no it is just a matter of comfort.

Last edited by NoYes; 2003-01-08 at 05:31 PM.
Old 2003-01-08, 07:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #57
phadE
Corporal

Originally posted by NoYes
"But if having a FOV of 90 doenst suit you, then "something" must be better for you on 110 (you just see 25% more . . ) "

Using ESDF or WASD for movement some people don't like and they use the directional keys. Does that mean something is better about directional keys? Some people like jump with space others and not mouse2. Does that mean their is an advantage to jumping with space? Hell know it is just a matter of comfort.

amen

www.insolentinternet.com
Old 2003-01-08, 12:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
Serbitar
Sergeant

so seeing 25% more is just comfort ? Then most people can live without it . . .

R| Relativity
Old 2003-01-08, 02:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
Splatter
Private

Eh, I play quake 2 using FOV 120 all the time. Neither I or anyone I had even heard of that played Q2 thought it was 'cheating'.

It's not as if you gain any substantial advantage by consistantly using one FOV for your playstyle. If it's low, you can hit enemies at further distances easier, but if they get close to you you'll have a hard time trying to find and hit them. If it's high, you'll see more in a close firefight, but have trouble at long range fighting. It's a tradeoff either way.

Personally, I'd jump on the 'scripts are cheating' bandwagon much sooner than calling keeping one permenant FOV to cater to your playstyle preference cheating. Changing your FOV many times to fit the battle you are in is a tough call though.
Old 2003-01-08, 05:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
NoYes
Private

Serbiter, before you said if something reduces your fun you don't want it in the game. It is the same for everyone else, a low FOV reduces my fun so I don't want it in the game.

Controls are very much a matter of comfort so how about we don't have an option to change that? Lets extend this to all graphics settings. Lets lock 800x600 16 bit color minimum effects for everyone, you don't want some people having better graphics because it is more comfortable. Natural keyboards vs standard are a matter of comfort also. How about we just have everyone use a natural keyboard?

Ya, your brillant this game would kick some serious ass if everyone had to play with the same settings, after all we aren't playing a game for enjoyment (which being comfortable adds to); we just want everyone to be the same!

You logic is pretty bad Serbitar, I hope you see that now.

Last edited by NoYes; 2003-01-08 at 05:44 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion