PS1s 10 year Anniversary in regards to PS2 - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: format c: *.*
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-05-05, 10:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: PS1s 10 year Anniversary in regards to PS2

Originally Posted by Rolfski View Post
Lol, if there would be any cause for "at each other's throats", it would most likely be those few bitter PS1 vets (not you btw) poisoning this PS2 community since the beginning with their non-constructive rants and hatred.
I think most of us can agree that Figment needs to just break down and get fuckin job at SOE.

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2013-05-05, 10:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Considering we cannot actually get PS1 installed anymore, I'm inclined to think SOE is just hoping we will drop the issue.

Old 2013-05-05, 10:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Baneblade View Post
Considering we cannot actually get PS1 installed anymore, I'm inclined to think SOE is just hoping we will drop the issue.
Psssh, I still got my discs
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2013-05-05, 11:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
I'm wondering that if PS1 were to go free would it alleviate all this drama that is going on between the PS1 vs PS2 crowds? .

Honestly there isnt much drama between 2 crowds.

The actual situation that ~5 PS1 players just like to bitch and attention whore.

The majority of PS1 players have either moved on or they are playing PS2. Many of them want improvments(and we have been getting improvments) but they want to play PS2 not PS1.
Old 2013-05-06, 12:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Zulthus
Colonel

Looks like the free download from the players website is down... damn. At least I still have it installed.
Old 2013-05-06, 05:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Figment
Lieutenant General

It's possible, but you have to look really hard for the last five years to find the appropriate download. :/

And yes, I install from disks as well.
Old 2013-05-06, 06:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I don't even know where my disks went off to.

Old 2013-05-06, 06:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Qwan
Captain

I don't even know where my disks went off to.
I still got min and the digital download for the caves.

Guys you got to remember one thing that was said by smedley said when they first started on the PS2 project, " this is not a cut and paste of PS1". And its true it is not, its a totally different animal with the concept of PS1. Initially they designed it like a big BF and CoD game, but it wasnt working because they forgot one factor. The match never ends (PS1 concept), one things that some of the new FPS gamers love to see before they log off is your team won, and to check there K/D ratio. The design and concept of the game didnt match the mentality of the player. The concept of PS1 is team based gameplay toward a goal set by leaders of that team, when they log on. Most BF and CoD gamers just want a high K/D ratio and someone to tell them what they have to do A and B during there game time so they can say they won. The alerts fall into that catagory, you can log on, fight hard toward getting your faction a win, then log off when its over. But most of the vets like myself stay on and keep fighting because to me it more than just winning an alert. Its about hanging with friends, and pulling off the impossible mission.
Old 2013-05-06, 07:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Zeta
Private

I've just never seen a franchise before try to fit it's previous games community into its newer game while not making it easy for the older group of players to go back to theirs.

Whether it's BF3 vs BF2, or BF2 vs BF1942, the older group of players usually just keep their reservations to themselves and go back to their older game without trying to change the newer game into the last one. This also seems to help the newer game grow on its own as well.

Also, think about this. If PS1 were to go free, we could slap some ads in there, and without any further support for the game, all the PS1 players would actually be generating revenue for PS2.
Old 2013-05-06, 07:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Snydenthur
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Qwan View Post
Initially they designed it like a big BF and CoD game, but it wasnt working because they forgot one factor. The match never ends (PS1 concept), one things that some of the new FPS gamers love to see before they log off is your team won, and to check there K/D ratio.
There is as much ending the match than any game out there. What ps2 lacks is the long "loading" screen between maps to check your stats. So is that what people want? Nice.
Old 2013-05-06, 07:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
HiroshiChugi
Captain

Originally Posted by bpostal View Post
I think most of us can agree that Figment needs to just break down and get fuckin job at SOE.
^THIS xD! But I kind-of agree on this... I think everybody is tired of him sh*tting on everyone's good ideas...
Old 2013-05-06, 07:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Shogun
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by HiroshiChugi View Post
^THIS xD! But I kind-of agree on this... I think everybody is tired of him sh*tting on everyone's good ideas...
shitting on good ideas? i think he always does his homework before picking on any idea! he is very good at analysing.

but he should really work for soe and fix the game.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2013-05-06, 08:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by HiroshiChugi View Post
You exagerate the amount of "good" ideas posted.

Good ideas on these (AND the old PS1 development forums) were far and wide between. Most of the stuff that's posted is pretty crap, usualy you can tell the amount of thought put into it is less than 5 minutes. They are more like "ideas" and "brainfarts" than "good ideas".

If there's an idea with potential, I'll be more constructive than any other person you can find. Hell, I'm constructive even if I don't see any good reason to implement it.

I don't just shoot things down, when I shoot things down it's with good reason. I give everyone the courtesy of hearing them out, then pointing out flaws. It is then up to that person to either refine the idea (which they hardly ever do), or go back to the drawing board.

Last edited by Figment; 2013-05-06 at 08:22 AM.
Old 2013-05-06, 08:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
This pertains to PS2. Many people have been wondering if PS1 is going to go free on the 10 year anniversary May 20th. I'm not sure it will, but the point is this... I'm wondering that if PS1 were to go free would it alleviate all this drama that is going on between the PS1 vs PS2 crowds? First of all, I see no reason why we can't have a community that is both PS1 AND PS2, but for some reason many people have been at each others throats. I'm afraid even people like Smedley have become pissed.

My thoughts are these; if PS1 players were able to have their game, then perhaps the PS2 community would finally be able to become its own. I've noticed that with most sequels, the gamers who prefer their older titles tend to stay with their games. Whereas with PS2 it's like trying to fit two halves into one game, and they aren't fitting.

PS2 would also forever gain the retort "Go play PS1... it's free!" and be able to hang that over any irritants head. That seems like a much more fitting endgame to all this. Especially if it could avoid a situation where if PS1 was shut down we might never be able to get rid of the grudge filled agitants hanging around PS2.

At the very least it would make officiating PS2 and PS1 conversations much easier if they were truly separate.

You cannot seperate PS2 and PS1. Smedley is right: If you make PS1 F2P, no one would play it. The game needs a lot of attention and dev time in order to be playable again. There are major engine issues that prevent good FPS on modern machines, and cause a lot of crashes and issues. Theres a gigantic cheat problem with PS1 (honestly, all you need is a hex editor for your memory, its super simple) that also needs attention.

And thats just the two major issues. On top of that would actually be another big thing: How to make money out of it once its F2P? The game has nothing to sell, so you would actually need some kind of small dev team to fill it with stuff to sell.

It would be a massive investment, without any gurantee that it pays off.

I rather have it stay where it is right now, just chilling, to be revived once a year for the annvisary, so we can see what PS1 did, and what PS2 misses, in order for us and the devs to figure out what needs to be done in PS2 to make it just as great as PS1 was.
Old 2013-05-06, 08:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Shogun
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
You exagerate the amount of "good" ideas posted.

Good ideas on these (AND the old PS1 development forums) were far and wide between. Most of the stuff that's posted is pretty crap, usualy you can tell the amount of thought put into it is less than 5 minutes.

If there's an idea with potential, I'll be more constructive than any other person you can find. Hell, I'm constructive even if I don't see any good reason to implement it.

I don't just shoot things down, when I shoot things down it's with good reason. I give everyone the courtesy of hearing them out, then pointing out flaws. It is then up to that person to either refine the idea (which they hardly ever do), or go back to the drawing board.
and please don´t stop doing this!

by the way, there are devs who got their soe job by doing the exact same thing

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion